• Mai Mihara

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rosy14

Final Flight
Don't agree with your assumptions regarding the pecking order at the Cricket Club - clearly if one of the top skaters felt they were not getting the attention that their rival was getting, they would leave.

We have no reason to believe that Brian gives either man more attention than the other, or that he prefers one over the other. Based on how successful both men have been over the past few years, plus their seemingly positive relationships with Brian and one another, there's no need to assume anything else.

That said, I do think that, in general, girls of Evgenia/Alina's age are going to struggle more to get along with one another than guys who are a bit older. Javi has a serious girlfriend, he enjoys going out, etc.; Yuzu is traveling between Canada and Japan all the time, is very involved in Japanese media, is taking college classes (I think?), etc. Both men have a lot going on besides skating, in part because they are grown-ups. Evgenia and Alina are still teenage girls, and it's likely their lives revolve around the rink. It's a tough situation, and Yulia and Serafima both left when they began to struggle against their training mates.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Eteri is much tougher to please than Brian, considering what has been publicly said about her almost-rejection of Polina for not being the right size. Her tolerance for struggles/failures might be lower, which makes the relationships between her skaters more tenuous.

So you agree with me that problems for Evgenia will come from her own camp, from Alina and perhaps, if she recovers from Junior Worlds debacle, Polina, simply because their programs are built to have higher BV and because Eteri will help to win only the one she feels will win ( in this moment Alina). And under these consideration Evgenia mUST win her second championships,or she risks to be sided away.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO Polina Tsurskaya has just become too tall and that combined with puberty issues has derailed her skating career. It remains to be seen if she can overcome these problems and regain her competitive edge.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
That's because a tano is choreographically like an exclamation point and a lot of these tano jumps are executed smaller in order to be able to do a tano on them in the first place. Imagine if you read something! Where every sentence! Was chopped up! And had an exclamation point afterwards! The exclamation point! Would lose its significance! It would in fact! Become annoying!

:laugh2: spot on

andromache

Record Breaker
IMO Polina Tsurskaya has just become too tall and that combined with puberty issues has derailed her skating career. It remains to be seen if she can overcome these problems and regain her competitive edge.

With the right training and support I think she'll be fine. Her jump technique is good, so she doesn't need to re-learn everything from scratch like Yulia. 2018 might be poor timing because it coincides too closely with her growth, but I don't think she can be counted out due to height/puberty alone. On the other hand, her injury problems are of more concern.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I expect Miss Consistency to pull this one out. I also expect her to win Gold in 2018.

I would love to see Osmond put together a clean FS to go along with the excellent SP. I hope that would be enough to get her a medal (especially without Satoko :cry: )

My prediction would be
Medvedeva
Anna P
Kostner
(basically a repeat of Europeans)

kallirroe

On the Ice
Lol man. I am in the ship to my hometown and you made me laugh really hard with the plushenko kisses. And here I am , laughing alone in front of a phone screen. 😂

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That's because a tano is choreographically like an exclamation point and a lot of these tano jumps are executed smaller in order to be able to do a tano on them in the first place. Imagine if you read something! Where every sentence! Was chopped up! And had an exclamation point afterwards! The exclamation point! Would lose its significance! It would in fact! Become annoying!

I see what you're getting at, but a better analogy would be comparing a tano to incorporating difficult, complex vocabulary in lieu of a more basic, simpler word. Obviously, if you use too many big words it can come across as exhausting/annoying too, but Medvedeva currently applies tanos on her 2A, 3Z, 3F and at least leaves it off her 3L, 3S, and 3T's. Her tano 3F is essentially a signature for her, and she tanoes her 3Z to mitigate lowered GOE she might receive if called for a flutz, and her 2A is a weak jump for her so she tries to increase the GOE with the tano. Don't get me wrong, she tanos a lot, but she's clearly doing it to raise the GOE on her weaker elements -- which is smart, and it's not like she's applying it to every pass (even though she could if she wanted to, e.g. she's done it on her 3Ts).

To me, moreso than arm variations, it's the actual jumping passes themselves that are the exclamation points in a program. When skaters have 4 or 5 or more jumping passes in a row without spins or steps or sufficient choreo in between, that to me is more akin to an annoying paragraph with 4 exclamation marks in a row, where the jumps are no longer highlights because it's multiple ones in a row and they lose their effect. That's more annoying when I watch Medvedeva's FS (her 5 jumping passes in a row) compared to seeing a tano on every other jump... although that's an unfortunate effect of backloading... not only do you see a bunch of jumps in a row, but you need to fill the first half of the program with steps/spins that could otherwise break up the jumpfests we are seeing from skaters looking to maximize points.

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

So true BoP. Is there such a thing as tano fatigue? It's like eating cotton candy, the first few bites are okay but before long it's a bit much - just too sweet.

Last edited:

Nika09

On the Ice
Medvedeva gonna to win that's for sure. She so smartly collecting that points and good for her. But...maybe there's something wrong with me but I don't understand or like her skating style. There're too much facial expressions, sometimes weird movements and of course those limitless tanos. I can't see all of these parts as a whole program. It's like there're jumps, tanos, some theater and music and all of them by their own. For me it's not even close to for example Kim's or 16 y/o Lipnitskaya's Olympics performances. And here I prefer Poqorilaya's skating much more. But of course it's just my opinion and it's not about audience personal feelings. I think men's battles getting more and more interesting than ladies this season. Anyway good luck for every athlete and wish victory for anyone who'll deserve it most.
(sorry for my "not perfect" English)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Medvedeva gonna to win that's for sure. She so smartly collecting that points and good for her. But...maybe there's something wrong with me but I don't understand or like her skating style. There're too much facial expressions, sometimes weird movements and of course those limitless tanos. I can't see all of these parts as a whole program. It's like there're jumps, tanos, some theater and music and all of them by their own. For me it's not even close to for example Kim's or 16 y/o Lipnitskaya's Olympics performances. And here I prefer Poqorilaya's skating much more. But of course it's just my opinion and it's not about audience personal feelings. I think men's battles getting more and more interesting than ladies this season. Anyway good luck for every athlete and wish victory for anyone who'll deserve it most.
(sorry for my "not perfect" English)

I'm also not a fan of Evgenia and prefer Anna much more, but I think, besides consistency I get why she is so much above anyone else. I think it's something that perhaps will also happen with Nathan Chen. It's something very few skaters have.

They make it look easy. When Evgenia skates I never think, oh, she's trying really hard to get these jumps, to sell the program, to skate at all. It just looks so damn easy, perfect, you wonder why it is so hard for the others. For example, my love Anna. She's consistent now, and clean most of the time, but for me it doesn't look as smooth, as easy. And for Evgenia it does. I don't like that she dominates like this. It's boring as heck. In my mind she is not 10 points above any other girl in her programs, unreachable. But the lightness and the fearlessness help her, even if her programs do not.

Welcome, Nika09, and thanks for joining us. Your English is excellent. Post often, post long! :rock:

Olympic

On the Ice
This even gives me a major headache:

1. Medvedeva - No doubt
2. Kostner - I read in the preview that she plans a 3F-3T and a 3Z.
3. Pogorilaya
4. Wagner
5. Osmond

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Aside from Medvedeva, the next likely medalist is Kostner. Pogo is a fall away from being dumped, even from within her federation. If she had any problem in the SP or the LP, she will be buried.
Osmond is super inconsistent, and what you see at 4cc will repeat at world.
This is World in Helsinki. Kostner got a medal in the bag.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Aside from Medvedeva, the next likely medalist is Kostner. Pogo is a fall away from being dumped, even from within her federation. If she had any problem in the SP or the LP, she will be buried.
Osmond is super inconsistent, and what you see at 4cc will repeat at world.
This is World in Helsinki. Kostner got a medal in the bag.

Why are you so quick to judge that someone is going to ''get dumped'' because of this or that. First Satoko, and now Anna. It's awful and creates negativity. :noshake:

Even if you don't want it (not sure about it) please don't bring this up and don't stir the ****.

I agree though Anna is not likely to be favoured because of Medvedeva's position.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I'm telling it as I see it. It happened. At Russian Nationals. I didn't make it up. I'm not stirring anything, you are.
If Anna so much has a bad day, she will be in free fall. This is not a conjecture or quick to judge statement.