Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men: The Quad Squad

This year's Men's event at the 2017 World Figure Skating Championships will be as unpredictable as the season's other meets, including the Grand Prix Final and Four Continents Championships.

More

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I'm afraid to vote on this one less I jinx it somehow.

I think that Yuzuru Hanyu is the only one who can win with just a good, clean performance. Everyone else will have to do something spectacular to win.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I think that Yuzuru Hanyu is the only one who can win with just a good, clean performance. Everyone else will have to do something spectacular to win.
But he needs to hit all of his 3 combos in free. He can't leave out one combo like it was trough season

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

perhaps, but i voted Nathan exactly because so far, Yuzuru hasn't skated clean all season... unless he is finally set up to have ONE great showing and saving it for Worlds.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I voted for Yuzuru but I'm not actually sure if he can skate mistake free. Depending on the others for mistakes is always the worst case scenario. So I basically think it is in Yuzuru's hands...or legs...or head, however you want it.

If you ask yourself, why I didn't vote for Shoma....I don't want Shoma to win, because I don't want him going into the Olympics as world Champion. Unnecessery pressure. Podium would be nice though.

mrrice

Record Breaker
perhaps, but i voted Nathan exactly because so far, Yuzuru hasn't skated clean all season... unless he is finally set up to have ONE great showing and saving it for Worlds.

I voted for Nathan as well. He was really good at Nationals and with Adam out of contention, I'm sure that Nathan is getting plenty of attention for Raf and his team. Nathan seems to be relishing his status as the new US Champion yet, he seems very calm when he's under pressure. Anyone who thought his performance at the GPF was a fluke, was quickly proven wrong after his spectacular LP at Nationals.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I voted Shoma. Not because I think he's the best, but I think there will be some splatfest. But unlike last year he'll keep it together this year. That's my feeling. I also have a feeling that whoever will actualy win Worlds this year in Men, won't be an Olympic Champion next year...

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
In the middle of all this, Boyangman will come and sweep the title. :party:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
In the middle of all this, Boyangman will come and sweep the title. :party:

I think he can be happy, if he gets on the podium. Gold is not in the stars for Spider Boyang. PCS will hold him down.

The only one who I really think could surprise is Javier. I could see him win, but I could also see him out of the the podium/Top 5. He's a mystery. ;)

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I voted for Nathan. He has the quads mastered and I think he's the least likely to fall. He even does quad loop in practice so who knows...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Tough call, but I'm going with Yuzuru... hopefully he can put the costly pops aside, and get it together. Chen seems the better bet on paper because of his superior technical ability, and the fact that he's been incredibly consistent even with all that difficulty, but he's also depending on Hanyu to make errors which I think Hanyu's gotten out of his system.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
The only one who I really think could surprise is Javier. I could see him win, but I could also see him out of the the podium/Top 5. He's a mystery. ;)

When the reigning 2x WC is considered to be a 'surprise' when he wins... :cool14:

To be honest, I think Javi is at least as much a podium candidate as Nathan or Shoma (I'd only rate Yuzuru higher, because so far, he might have messed up before and lost titles, but he's usually still on the podium). He has delivered at both last seasons WCs, and coming in as an underdog, while decidedly not getting underdog scores, can only help him. And if Javi goes completely clean, I think the only guy to be able to beat him is Yuzu. So Javis 'would be a surprise winner' status does surprise me, to be honest.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If Javi goes completely clean he will be tough to beat, but he's had inconsistency this season. I think Chen can definitely beat him, and obviously the GPF and Euros showed that Javi is vulnerable. He should likely medal (unless Uno skates lights out), but it's not a certainty.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
When the reigning 2x WC is considered to be a 'surprise' when he wins... :cool14:

To be honest, I think Javi is at least as much a podium candidate as Nathan or Shoma (I'd only rate Yuzuru higher, because so far, he might have messed up before and lost titles, but he's usually still on the podium). He has delivered at both last seasons WCs, and coming in as an underdog, while decidedly not getting underdog scores, can only help him. And if Javi goes completely clean, I think the only guy to be able to beat him is Yuzu. So Javis 'would be a surprise winner' status does surprise me, to be honest.

We're in the Poll thread which currently doesn't have him at even 10% for the win, that's the surprise. He's flying a bit under the radar at the moment. Of course he is a podium threat. Of course he can win. But I also think he could finish 5th and it wouldn't exactly be a shock that he does. In his favour works that we're in Europe this year. And the judges love him.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I voted Yuzu will win but as others have said one cannot overlook Javier. Unless he falls a lot his PCSs will be huge. I think Nathan will wind up on the podium but where. I expect them and Uno and SpideyJin and Chan will be in the final flight and it think then the podium will depend a lot on skating order. I don't mean regarding the judging; I think if Nathan skates big early it might put pressure on the other skaters and they might tighten up and fall or not execute the falls as well as they might.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
P.S. I have not been this excited about the Men's event at Worlds in years!!!!!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It could even be a night when all comes together for Patrick Chan. But while I think Yuzuru is the master of his own destiny, I think Patrick needs the others to mess up to have a chance. Especially if he's in a "The door is open, here is your gold, just take it" situation again, it might be hard. Honestly, this is what an exciting competition is all about! They all have a chance. There are so many that could take the title. Men's competition is so much fun for us these days! :love: