• Other

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
there's some sort of curse surrounding regining WC champion going into OG, after all, only Lysacek won both for seven OG in the past and even that, is a hugely controversial one.

Actually, every American male skater as the reigning World champion has won the gold medal at the Olympics:

Richard Button
Hayes A. Jenkins
David Jenkins
Scott Hamilton
Evan Lysacek

The curse applies for Canadian (Orser, Stojko and Chan) and Russian skaters (Plushenko)...

Last edited:

d6886

On the Ice
not that hyped as gut tells me this WC will turn out to be another ********, or to put it mildly, a disappointing experience as it has been for the past two years. hope i'm wrong.

Chen is having some boot problem lately but what exactly does boot mean? near the ankle? his performance might suffer

Hanyu probably gonna pop a thing or two and wins but i feel he is not 100% healthy this season all along and he is not putting it all out there for obvious reasons

Chan is struggling even more and Javier is gone baby gone, out of nowhere, they both in top form?

Shoma not consistent enough as the problem is rooted in his jumping technique so dramatic improvement is very unlikely

Jin is said to be in good shape but i'm sorry irresistible impulse to fast foward his performance everytime

there's some sort of curse surrounding regining WC champion going into OG, after all, only Lysacek won both for seven OG in the past and even that, is a hugely controversial one.

Yuzu had serious injury and lost almost whole summer for healing and regaining jumps (he needed to start from singles, they even considered skipping this season), so he's doing good this season considering circumstances.

Jin lost his consistency this season, so who knows if he delivers on WC.

Shoma had problems with delivering in second half of season, so we will see if he can conquer it.

Both Chan and Javier are threatened by youngsters so they need to deliver if they want to be on the podium, and I'd love to see at least one on them with medal.

Chen will probably deliver, so his placement depends on wht others do, because if Javi, Yuzu and probably Chan will deliver they will outscore him. Maybe Shoma too. But chances for another GPF 2015 are rather low, so I think he will be on the podium.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Actually, every American male skater as the reigning World champion has won the gold medal at the Olympics:

Richard Button
Hayes A. Jenkins
David Jenkins
Scott Hamilton
Evan Lysacek

The curse applies for Canadian (Orser, Stojko and Chan) and Russian skaters (Plushenko)...

Ohh...interesting. If Nathan wins Worlds....

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Hanyu probably gonna pop a thing or two and wins but i feel he is not 100% healthy this season all along and he is not putting it all out there for obvious reasons

Wasn't Hanyu problem in the past that he WAS performing 100 % earlier in the season and he was worn out before Worlds arrived ?
For me it clearly looks they took it easier this seasons and let his shape get better consinstently instead of pushing everything

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Yuzu had serious injury and lost almost whole summer for healing and regaining jumps (he needed to start from singles, they even considered skipping this season), so he's doing good this season considering circumstances.

Jin lost his consistency this season, so who knows if he delivers on WC.

Shoma had problems with delivering in second half of season, so we will see if he can conquer it.

Both Chan and Javier are threatened by youngsters so they need to deliver if they want to be on the podium, and I'd love to see at least one on them with medal.

Chen will probably deliver, so his placement depends on wht others do, because if Javi, Yuzu and probably Chan will deliver they will outscore him. Maybe Shoma too. But chances for another GPF 2015 are rather low, so I think he will be on the podium.

Shoma's scores for this competition aren't counted towards the personal best scores, but just two weeks ago he cracked 300 at Coupe du Printemps. His SP was clean and around 104, his LP wasn't but he almost cracked 200 anyway. Worlds scores are always a bit higher and I think Shoma's team worked hard so there won't be a repeat of Boston, a bad second half of the season.

Nika09

On the Ice
Well I'll put my money on Chen. Considering his consistency during the season. He's very good as jumper yes but FS is more than just a jumps. Chen and Boyang they both have similar styles actually. And hey once Boyang promised to jump pentadruple (or however it named), what if??
In the other hand Yuzuru Hanyu. He's such an amazing skater, artists. But he's one of the most unpredictable athletes I've ever seen. Just take a look at his SP and then FP in Olympics. And then the same programs in WC 2014. He lost his gold medals in last two worlds despite of brilliant season. So in his situation it's all about him only. But If he has health issues eventually it's more important than anything else. Anyway wether he win or not he's great skater.
Also there are Shoma Uno (I find his skating more interesting and enjoyable to watch than Chen's) and Fernandez (less than Uno though) who have any chances for the top of podium. But honestly I don't think Chan do has this chance. He seems so vulnerable when the pressure is high. But who knows...
I'm looking forward to watching this men's battle. It's going to be so intriguing and as unpredictable as Hanyu is. Good luck for every athlete and wish victory for anyone who'll deserve it most.
(sorry for my "not perfect" English)

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker

Richard Button
Hayes A. Jenkins
David Jenkins
Scott Hamilton
Evan Lysacek

Ohh...interesting. If Nathan wins Worlds....

Interesting, the American men and Canadian men do seem to have enough of a pattern going on here. Any other nationality of Worlds winners prior to Olympics to see if they fit into any pattern?

We don't actually have a precedent for if a Japanese man wins Worlds prior to Olympics, do we? Would be interesting to see if either Yuzuru or Shoma were to take the gold at Worlds, their pattern would fit the American men's... or Plushenko's.

Or if Javi wins for a third time. How many 3-time Worlds Champions have won the OGM? Aside from Yagudin.

Or if Javi wins for a third time. How many 3-time Worlds Champions have won the OGM? Aside from Yagudin.

Actually, of the list above. all of the first four (Dick Button. Hayes Alan Jenkins, David Jenkins, and Scott Hamilton) won three or more world championships leading up to their Olympic gold medal. It's harder now, of course, since no one person dominates year after year.

LRK

Record Breaker
Interesting, the American men and Canadian men do seem to have enough of a pattern going on here. Any other nationality of Worlds winners prior to Olympics to see if they fit into any pattern?

We don't actually have a precedent for if a Japanese man wins Worlds prior to Olympics, do we? Would be interesting to see if either Yuzuru or Shoma were to take the gold at Worlds, their pattern would fit the American men's... or Plushenko's.

Plush, as well.

jinabee

On the Ice
If Nathan keeps up his consistency he's a solid silver/possible gold even if his pcs isn't as generous as it has been in certain areas where the scores have been a bit...arguable. However it kinda depends on if Yuzu, Javi or Shoma skate totally clean. They all have the potential to outscore him in pcs/goe (Tho clean Nathan vs clean Shoma would be very tight, Shoma edge him out on fs pcs)
I find it hard to think that Nathan will miss out on the podium though. He's going home with something.

Yuzuru is reportedly in very good condition and is thirsty for gold, if he has no mental blocks or bad luck and gets his 4s combos he can take gold. If he misses a jump but pulls some 4CC style winging it he could potentially edge into gold but would likely take silver if Nathan or Javi are clean. I find it difficult to think he's taking anything less than silver but .... it could happen.

Javi I see as a silver contender but he could take the gold. Who knows.

Shoma could take bronze if he performs clean. He has the jumps, he has the potential for decent pcs. If he makes a mistake he can be knocked out tho

If Nathan and Shoma bomb Boyang might have a chance for podium. If everyone bombs their jumps BUT Patrick, Patrick might have a chance. IMO only really Shoma, Nathan, Javi and Yuzu decide their own fates. Everyone else really needs everyone else to fall or pop something.

Tldr: I DUNNO. My heart says gold is between Yuzu and Javi and bronze is a fight between Nathan, Shoma, Boyang and maybe Patrick ? But there's way too many variables to have any kind of idea.
I'm rooting for Yuzu. I'd be maybe a bit unhappy if Nathan took gold only cuz I don't think his FS is particularly great. I want Shoma on the podium but....he might have to kick Nathan off it.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Shoma's scores for this competition aren't counted towards the personal best scores, but just two weeks ago he cracked 300 at Coupe du Printemps. His SP was clean and around 104, his LP wasn't but he almost cracked 200 anyway. Worlds scores are always a bit higher and I think Shoma's team worked hard so there won't be a repeat of Boston, a bad second half of the season.

I also expect Uno to give a serious run for their money to ''Big 3'' in Helsinki. Repeat from Boston would be unfortunate surprise.

He's healthy as far as I know and hungry :agree:

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I want Yuzu to win but I feel like Nathan & Javi can

m0001

On the Ice
Did any one see this from Jackie Wong's tweets:

Jackie Wong @rockerskating
Looks like the potential new Nathan Chen 6-quad FS layout is
4Lz3T, 4F, 4F2T, 4Lz, 3A2T2Lo, 4S, 4T, 3Lz
http://bit.ly/2n7H5Tj #WorldFigure

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Did any one see this from Jackie Wong's tweets:

Jackie Wong @rockerskating
Looks like the potential new Nathan Chen 6-quad FS layout is
4Lz3T, 4F, 4F2T, 4Lz, 3A2T2Lo, 4S, 4T, 3Lz
http://bit.ly/2n7H5Tj #WorldFigure

I like Nathan a lot, but 6 quads in the FS? No, no, no. WTT is a perfect place to try the possible new layout. Human body is not made of steel.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Nathan might be going for the out-BV anyone's TES option, with a little intimidation buzz to boot. Whether he uses it or not might depend on how far back (or ahead) he is in the SP. Or maybe he'll risk it regardless. Guy has a perfectly calm poker face but has no chill whatsoever.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Don't forget that 3A is his worst jump, so a 6-quad, 1-3A program is actually "easier" for him than the 5-quad, 2-3A program he did at 4cc.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Don't forget that 3A is his worst jump, so a 6-quad, 1-3A program is actually "easier" for him than the 5-quad, 2-3A program he did at 4cc.

In this regard, you may be right, but I'm still haunted by the memory of his abrupt injury that happened at US National last season. By the way, he used to do 3A nicely in juniors, but I wonder how much his quad challenges have affected his edge jumps.

sheetz

Record Breaker
3A has always been an off/on jump for Nathan. The other triples have always been rock solid for him.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
3A has always been an off/on jump for Nathan. The other triples have always been rock solid for him.

Finlandia:
SP: 0.00 GOE
FS: -1.00 GOE

Trophee:
SP: doubled the axel
FS: doubled the axel

NHK:
SP: -2.86
FS: -1.00

GPF:
SP: 1.14
FS: 0.57

US:
SP: 2.14
SP: 1.43

4CC:
SP: 0.43
FS: -1.29, -1.86

It is definitely a problem jump for him, but he's shown better success with it from the GPF onwards, compared to the first half of the season. At least he's not doubling the jump anymore.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I went to Boston last year and spent $$$ just for Hanyu, only to end up seeing him implode before my very eyes. I'm crossing fingers that Hanyu will (finally) get the medal this time. My wallet still has a hole in it from Boston.