Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't forget that 3A is his worst jump, so a 6-quad, 1-3A program is actually "easier" for him than the 5-quad, 2-3A program he did at 4cc.

A perfect world, from Nathan's perspective, is to continue to preview this layout throughout the practices, and then draw one of the later skates in the Free.

That way, the other contenders will have to show their cards first.

They'll have to play those cards knowing what he's capable of... not necessarily what his team is planning.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
To be fair to Stojko he was badly injured before and during Nagano. He likely would have won had it been physically possible for him to skate to his full potential. Orser sucked at figures and Patrick head cased real bad so no helping them.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
To be fair to Stojko he was badly injured before and during Nagano. He likely would have won had it been physically possible for him to skate to his full potential.

He likely would have lost, because Kulik skated essentially perfect and was considered the overall better skater. It would have taken 2 Quads to beat Kulik, which isn't something Stojko was doing.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I've predicted Hanyu to win the last two years only for him to falter, so my money's on Chen. Especially if he goes for that 6-quad layout... :shocked:

Nathan might be going for the out-BV anyone's TES option, with a little intimidation buzz to boot. Whether he uses it or not might depend on how far back (or ahead) he is in the SP. Or maybe he'll risk it regardless. Guy has a perfectly calm poker face but has no chill whatsoever.

I think his layout also depends on how confident he's feeling during the skate. Hasn't he said before that he goes for the more ambitious jumps later in the program when he's gone clean earlier? If he has falls he may opt for an easier layout so as not to expend even more energy. But there's no doubt in my mind how bad he wants it right now...the bolded part is the most accurate description of Nathan I've read.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
He likely would have lost, because Kulik skated essentially perfect and was considered the overall better skater. It would have taken 2 Quads to beat Kulik, which isn't something Stojko was doing.

Meh we'll never know what would've happened because he wasn't able to compete healthy. In the 6.0 era things were different.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I think Chen is going to steal the title with Fernandez placing second. I think Hanyu will muster up a bronze. I just dont think Hanyu is going to be clean in both programs. He has had some recent difficulty with popping jumps.. the worst thing you can do. With the amount of quads that Fernandez is attempting as well as Chen I think it will be enough to puch Hanyu down to bronze. I have Patrick Chan in 5th which IMO would be a pretty big accomplishment this year to be honest.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've predicted Hanyu to win the last two years only for him to falter, so my money's on Chen. Especially if he goes for that 6-quad layout... :shocked:

I think his layout also depends on how confident he's feeling during the skate. Hasn't he said before that he goes for the more ambitious jumps later in the program when he's gone clean earlier? If he has falls he may opt for an easier layout so as not to expend even more energy. But there's no doubt in my mind how bad he wants it right now...the bolded part is the most accurate description of Nathan I've read.

I've played out different scenarios in my mind. What does he do if he's ahead after the short? What if he's behind? What if the others skate first in the long with mistakes? What if he skates first in the long?

I think the most likely event is that he throws a crazy hard 6 quad program, no matter what. Win or lose, that difficulty in a WC Free Program a year before the Olympics... it will turn the sport on it's head. For the next year, every other skater in the world will be reacting to it.

The kid strikes me as a competitor, and getting in the rivals' heads is a good thing for a competitor. He doesn't even have to skate clean, he's just got to show that he's not afraid of pulling a stunt like that.

I'll be watching, that much is for sure.

Nika09

On the Ice
I think Chen is going to steal the title with Fernandez placing second. I think Hanyu will muster up a bronze. I just dont think Hanyu is going to be clean in both programs. He has had some recent difficulty with popping jumps.. the worst thing you can do. With the amount of quads that Fernandez is attempting as well as Chen I think it will be enough to puch Hanyu down to bronze. I have Patrick Chan in 5th which IMO would be a pretty big accomplishment this year to be honest.

Agree. He doesn't seem ready for this competition or this season in whole. That's consistent problems with 4S and even with toeloop now. It could cost him medal eventually. I think it could be Chen-Uno-Fernandez or Chen-Fernandez-Uno or Fernandez-Chen-Uno (this one gonna be very interesting scenario :)) or whatever. There're some many athletes ready to take advantage.
Pity thing is we'll never see clean version of Hanyu's potentially amazing programs. Anyway he should try keep as confident as possible.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Uh... We are going to be in Europe guys!

Odds are in Javier's favour if he delivers - defending as the two times consecutive world champion.
I'd give him odds at 4 to 1. PCS mid 90s. :drama:

Quote myself quote myself.

After the SP and the artificial gap, his chance just increased to 2:3 Given the PCS advantage, even Nathen land 6 quads and skate clean, it may not be enough.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Agree. He doesn't seem ready for this competition or this season in whole. That's consistent problems with 4S and even with toeloop now. It could cost him medal eventually. I think it could be Chen-Uno-Fernandez or Chen-Fernandez-Uno or Fernandez-Chen-Uno (this one gonna be very interesting scenario :)) or whatever. There're some many athletes ready to take advantage.
Pity thing is we'll never see clean version of Hanyu's potentially amazing programs. Anyway he should try keep as confident as possible.

well.. we were wrong :p Aside from Chan being 5th lol