Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Saw this tweet from Lynn Rutherford:

On call @tessavirtue @ScottMoir: "Frankly this is the most prepared we've been for Worlds our whole career." #helsinki2017

Not that I don't expect them to be super prepared, but still impressive.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
LOL, that's called campaigning. Clever of them (and/or their team) to come up with a line like that, highlighting their seniority over the other competitors and thus making themselves seem that much more deserving of being given #1 scores by the judges.

Last edited:

nocturnalis

Medalist
LOL, that's called campaigning. Clever of them (and/or their team) to come up with a line like that, highlighting their seniority over the other competitors and thus making themselves seem that much more deserving of being given #1 scores by the judges.
Not hard to believe:
2007 - First senior worlds at 17/19
2008 - Tessa was desperately needing surgery
2009 - 3 competitions back from Tessa's surgery, noticeably not at their best
2010 - Tessa was desperately needing surgery
2011 - First full competition back from Tessa's surgery
2012 - Falls at GPF's (Scott), Nationals (Tessa), and 4CC was their first competition that they did well since TEB. Also changed lifts in both programs.
2013 - Peaked at Nationals. Struggled in the FD at 4CC.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
This is the first season where they've won every competition they've entered, which surely makes them feel more secure in their place. I doubt they've worked harder than ever before leading up to this competition, which is the insinuation. Winning many competitions and being seen as dominant has always had a snowball effect on scores in figuring skating, regardless of it being deserved or not. They are of course doing everything they can to frame themselves as the most deserving of being declared the champions.

olayolay

On the Ice
This is the first season where they've won every competition they've entered, which surely makes them feel more secure in their place. I doubt they've worked harder than ever before leading up to this competition, which is the insinuation. Winning many competitions and being seen as dominant has always had a snowball effect on scores in figuring skating, regardless of it being deserved or not. They are of course doing everything they can to frame themselves as the most deserving of being declared the champions.

They didn't say they worked harder - they said they're more prepared. Considering the injuries and coaching drama they've had in the past, I don't find that hard to believe.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I voted for the Shibs in the hope that mental energy will help the judges wake up from their set in stone idea that the rankings will be 1. V/M 2. P/C and 3. S/S

I am going to get hate for this but I really don't enjoy V/M... :scard8:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I voted for the Shibs in the hope that mental energy will help the judges wake up from their set in stone idea that the rankings will be 1. V/M 2. P/C and 3. S/S

I am going to get hate for this but I really don't enjoy V/M... :scard8:

I really enjoy V/M, but I agree with the rest of your post.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France

The Shibs aren't as good, though? If they all skate their best, V/M and P/C simply deserve to be placed over them, no question. The Shibs can out-twizzle them (or actually maybe they aren't even better than P/C on this element anymore), but in terms of nuance and depth of emotion throughout the movements and performance, they aren't on the same level.

And frankly, with the improvements P/C have made since the first half of the season, they should actually be untouchable for #1 if they skate their best. V/M are simply not as good technically, they aren't able to hit the same heights of full-body engagement and they even tried to copy the now-iconic upside-down camel spin position of Papadakis, but they definitely do not execute it as well as P/C.

I'm rooting for Chock/Bates to make the podium. Their programs have continually improved over the course of the season and if they are their best yet at Worlds, it will be spectacular. Evan has gotten better and better in the SP at selling the hard edge and the funk. I hope he really kills the "Bad to the Bone" section this time. Technically this team definitely has to make up some ground, but if they can hit everything really well, they are more dynamic DANCERS than the Shibs. Especially because the Shibs' SD this season is just stupid, IMO.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The Shibs aren't as good, though? If they all skate their best, V/M and P/C simply deserve to be placed over them, no question. The Shibs can out-twizzle them (or actually maybe they aren't even better than P/C on this element anymore), but in terms of nuance and depth of emotion throughout the movements and performance, they aren't on the same level.

And frankly, with the improvements P/C have made since the first half of the season, they should actually be untouchable for #1 if they skate their best. V/M are simply not as good technically, they aren't able to hit the same heights of full-body engagement and they even tried to copy the now-iconic upside-down camel spin position of Papadakis, but they definitely do not execute it as well as P/C.

I'm rooting for Chock/Bates to make the podium. Their programs have continually improved over the course of the season and if they are their best yet at Worlds, it will be spectacular. Evan has gotten better and better in the SP at selling the hard edge and the funk. I hope he really kills the "Bad to the Bone" section this time. Technically this team definitely has to make up some ground, but if they can hit everything really well, they are more dynamic DANCERS than the Shibs. Especially because the Shibs' SD this season is just stupid, IMO.

Tessa and Scott can't compare technically to the French? I'm literally laughing out loud right now. Technically, Voir is the best in the field. You can debate programs and artistry and that doesn't mean they necessarily win. And even though they are my favourites, I do in fact really like P/C too, but this is just wrong IMO. Even Charlie White, who's been incredibly complimentary of P/C said V/M have the absolute best technical base of any team in ice dance. I think he knows a bit more about it than you do.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker

:laugh2:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
C/L are just about the only top pair I really get excited to watch perform. In fact I think I would consider paying pretty good money to see them win. :devil:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Technically, Voir is the best in the field.

V/M are not in their prime anymore, they aren't able to do everything that was possible when they were younger. V/M were technically stronger at the GPF, but Papadakis/Cizeron have improved since then and now they have quite pristine basic skating in addition to their lifts, spins, and overall ability to interweave between positions that require full body movement (going from low to high or vice versa) being superior. Papadakis/Cizeron still have some Short Dance issues where V/M can beat them, but the Free Dance is worth more and that is where they are unmatched. Although their Free Dance is not as flat-out astonishing as last season's, they are still the best.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I voted for V/M , I hope Madi and Evan do their best and be on podum, love their programs this year :love:

Emilia12

Rinkside
Unfortunately, Weaver and Poje are the only ones who I actually look forward to this season. No one won't let them to be on the podium, no matter how they will skate, that's clear, but at least they are the only top team who has two programs that are nether boring or embarrassing

olayolay

On the Ice
Sad that a geriatric, out-of-their-prime V/M can steamroll all their younger competitors without breaking a sweat. :drama:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Sad that a geriatric, out-of-their-prime V/M can steamroll all their younger competitors without breaking a sweat. :drama:

You forget to add Tessa being fat and out of shape, Scott being his usual unapologetic himself and them having that mature confidence taken from all they experienced and now put in use, really - shame of them!

seriously - LOLZ at some comments there...

basically 6-7 teams (or even more) have a chance (more or less real) to grab the title, it all depends on execution presented by those teams to get that best chance they can. No one will punish anyone for being clean, sharp, precise and confident in execution, and if they add a presentation quality, engagement into performance, polish over whole package - why judges should let it all down in favour of teams who actually have worse execution? I mean - there is a lot of complaining nowadays about politicking, 'reputation' scores/placements in FS, but at the same time a lot of seething over crisp execution put over this 'reputation' in actual competition. I'd advise to be more consistent and honest, avoid 'double standards'...

Myself, I'm not a fan of some programs, dynamics in some teams in Ice Dance, way of expressing stuff, but at the same time I do appreciate and can admire superb execution of stuff those teams can produce. I also admire/appreciate/support ALL teams who are working hard, strive for development and getting better, regardless of style/experience/level of skill as there's usually something to appreciate in every team (and it's not a costume or make-up). And I refuse to strictly put one team over another just in paper, in theory - there's just too much factors to consider to state firmly about team being the best and there goes personal sentiments/projecting over those factors which disables being objective. Of course, we can look at results, scores and compare them, but this season I would not attach myself to much (or my attention) to the results/scores as this is a 'transitional' season for me regarding Tessa/Scott return and starting their work with same coaches as current World Champions, Gabriella and Guillaume.

Personally - I appreciate, enjoy and admire all those 'top 3' projected teams equally, just for different reasons as I expressed already this season in various threads. But I cannot overlook or depreciate e.g. Shibutanis forcefully or on purpose just because they performed flawlessly, executed their stuff seamlessly and reached out to me by their skate while I prefer personally Tessa/Scott's SD more or their way of emotional express of their programs. And regarding skills - there is far too much subjective projecting on that matter, all those 3 teams have very good and high-level skills and ability to put them in a good use, there is quality and refinement about it without a doubt and depending on program/style/way of expressing - those abilities, skills shine in a different way, sometimes it is just viewer's personal 'conviction' or confidence on one team being superior to another without area for discussion. And it's a bit sad for me.

And about Tessa/Scott - if I'm not mistaken, A LOT of people here put them last summer at bronze medal position at 2018 Olympics at best, predicting struggle and difficulty to keep up on par with other actively competing teams and now all this fume over their successful strike, confidence with whom they're performing and earning their wins by producing great stuff, as no one made it easy for them and gave scores they had as granted gifts. They responded (and are responding) probably in the best way they could/can. And only next competition will tell if they'll hold onto that and continue, because they do know like no one that it is not granted for good.

in all honesty - I just hope that Maia and Alex will cause a stir of the decade by their performance and I hope they will be rewarded accordingly, cracking some head in process. Just because.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
C/L are just about the only top pair I really get excited to watch perform. In fact I think I would consider paying pretty good money to see them win. :devil:

:agree:, nothing better than 'underdog' winning, especially like lovely Anna and Luca, I just love Your way of thinking about Italians :laugh:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker

Go Shibs! I hope they kill it in both programs and get another 9 million views for their "stupid" SD.

blackey

On the Ice
Some of the comments here are so confused.. Like are we even watching the same ice dance :eek:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
V/M are not in their prime anymore, they aren't able to do everything that was possible when they were younger. V/M were technically stronger at the GPF, but Papadakis/Cizeron have improved since then and now they have quite pristine basic skating in addition to their lifts, spins, and overall ability to interweave between positions that require full body movement (going from low to high or vice versa) being superior. Papadakis/Cizeron still have some Short Dance issues where V/M can beat them, but the Free Dance is worth more and that is where they are unmatched. Although their Free Dance is not as flat-out astonishing as last season's, they are still the best.

Really?

Seen a SD from P/C lately?

And the Shibs have built an entire career on nuance.

Really, I like your posts and I always find you interesting but some of the things you say are just indefensible.