Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
About "superficial", I think the Shibs are one of the more authentic ice dancers out there because they don't make the typical ice dance faces we're used to seeing and are instead giving something more organic.

I don't see this myself, instead Maia often seems to be doing the typical pasted-on "big smiley face". It was perfect for their SD program last year because she was portraying a doll. Otherwise not so much.

maddiesparks

Rinkside
The top 3 right now offer very different products and I guess it's to be expected that can bring out some strong opinions. As an ice dancing fan, I can appreciate what each team is bringing to the table, which is fun because even though V/M are my favs, I wouldn't be mad if P/C skated lights out and beat them. In saying that, V/M would have to make a couple of mistakes to justify that, IMO.

What it comes down to for me is that P/C skate with more abandon, but they make more mistakes. The Shibs are more controlled, but it keeps them technically strong. V/M are #1 because they manage to do both - lose themselves in a performance and execute all of their elements near flawlessly.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I don't see this myself, instead Maia often seems to be doing the typical pasted-on "big smiley face". It was perfect for their SD program last year because she was portraying a doll. Otherwise not so much.

We'll just agree to disagree. I think Maia has something similar that I find in many of my favorite skaters and IMO, people don't give her enough credit as I find her to be an engaging but very different sort of female ice dancer and thus refreshing from the usual.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I think next year the Shibs will do something passionate and lyrical like Exogenesis Symphony Part 3 or Liebesträume and we'll make a return to the emotions of Fix You.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I disagree. Their skating isn't characterized by nuance as much as preciseness. They don't have as many interesting and unexpected variations and facial expressions throughout their performances as other teams, creating a multi-layered presentation on the ice. They are more monotone as compared to the best teams and also more superficial, not expressing the same depth of emotion. When I watch their performances, everything that happens is what I would expect to happen. The arms move in predictable fashion, the delivery is assured but safe. It's all executed so well, but it's not the most remarkable dancing.

As much as I appreciate & enjoy them ... this is exactly how I perceive their skating too, but you opened up my eyes little bit on that matter as well. You summed it up pretty nicely, I would be unable to phrase my words so neatly like you. Well maybe in Polish I could :laugh: Concentration on precision is also what often takes center stage in my view.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
I think next year the Shibs will do something passionate and lyrical like Exogenesis Symphony Part 3 or Liebesträume and we'll make a return to the emotions of Fix You.

I can´t see the relation of ¨Liebestraum¨ to ¨Fix you¨

NicoleJ96B

Rinkside
Trying to pick my top 10 and the order has been absolute mayhem! I doubt there is room for the Polish team but you never know.

ATM, this is what I'm thinking:
1. Virtue and Moir
2. Shibutani and Shibutani
3.Papdakis and Cizeron
4. Chock and Bates
5. Cappellini and Lanotte
6/7/8: Weaver/Pohe, Gilles/Poirier and Hubbell and Donohue
9. Bobrova and Soloviev

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Please no more renditions of Exogenesis Part 3. Please just no more. :disapp:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I can´t see the relation of ¨Liebestraum¨ to ¨Fix you¨

Key word is 'emotions'. It'll make people feel something...

Please no more renditions of Exogenesis Part 3. Please just no more. :disapp:

:biggrin: It's already in warhorse territory. No better time to hear all your favourite and least favourite warhorses than an Olympic season.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
i wonder how muse feels about creating a figure skating warhorse LOL

I've been wondering lately how Lee Holdridge feels about his little known piece from a 1980s ABC miniseries adaptation of John Steinbeck's East of Eden becoming a figure skating warhorse.

Barb

Record Breaker
Key word is 'emotions'. It'll make people feel something...

:biggrin: It's already in warhorse territory. No better time to hear all your favourite and least favourite warhorses than an Olympic season.

off topic but, it is Shoma in your avatar? he looks cute!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
The top 3 right now offer very different products and I guess it's to be expected that can bring out some strong opinions. As an ice dancing fan, I can appreciate what each team is bringing to the table, which is fun because even though V/M are my favs, I wouldn't be mad if P/C skated lights out and beat them. In saying that, V/M would have to make a couple of mistakes to justify that, IMO.

What it comes down to for me is that P/C skate with more abandon, but they make more mistakes. The Shibs are more controlled, but it keeps them technically strong. V/M are #1 because they manage to do both - lose themselves in a performance and execute all of their elements near flawlessly.

I agree with Your opinion expressed on 'different products' offered by these predicted 'top 3' teams - and for me, those different products are favoured by different tastes/preferences.

For me, all of those teams are representing skill and quality, but manage to present them in different perspective, or to accentuate those skills/quality of their skating in different way which them could resonate more/less within us viewers. Maia and Alex have this wonderful crispness, precision of movement and great movement finishing bth in elements and in-between which draw me ito their skating; for me, those qualities in combination with now more distinct style/way of expressing really opened my eyes on them, on their skating and way of performing. Gabriella and Guillaume two years ago have shown an entire new dimention on artistry in Ice Dance, they really opened my eyes on that kind of strong reception of classical/modern theme; they have very unique way of movement, feathery, airy, like smudges of paintbrush on canvas which suits their style to the boot and is very appealing, easy on eyes. Tessa and Scott - I agree with You about that balance between technical and presentation side of them, but what I discovered this season (not even reflecting on their previous seasons in competitions) is this mature confidence with which they perform, this unity and silent understanding presented capturing my attention.

There is really a lot to appreciate in all these teams and I don't see myself a desperate need to voice my vote strictly on one team, actually on contrary - my vote goes to the best effort to be presented by those 3 teams and everyone else. All those differences, nuances about each team only highlights and enhances their respective qualities, at least I like to view it that way instead of pointing subjectively others' flaws in favour of someone's favourites.

Barb

Record Breaker
4everchan;1675698[B said:
]macho like vibe with heart shaped sunglasses?[/B] hehe ;) but he does look cute i agree

Because he is LOCO!! He is very macho :p

Last edited:
Odds so far. :)

Shibutanis 10 to 1

Virtue and Moir 2 to 5

Papadakis and Cizeron 5 to 1

Chock and Bates 39 to 1

Bobrova and Soloviev 243 to 1

Cappellini and Lanotte 119 to 1

Other 119 to 1

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Odds so far. :)

Shibutanis 10 to 1

Virtue and Moir 2 to 5

Papadakis and Cizeron 5 to 1

Chock and Bates 39 to 1

Bobrova and Soloviev 243 to 1

Cappellini and Lanotte 119 to 1

Other 119 to 1

hehe but those are just odds of people voting on the forum.. not real odds ;)