Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2017 Worlds - Videos No Spoilers

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQZ..._app=1&noapp=1

This youtuber has a number of fan cams.
    Doris, you are alot smarter than I am about this blocking....putting aside morals and legality for a moment, lets say there is a you tuber named sabincoyote and he puts up the feed from whatever. Only he doesnt call it Finn Worlds Karen Chen. He calls it Event A, competitor B, cause all his friends have the decoded cheat sheet. How does YouTube find the vids to block them? Imbedded code?

rooting for Sota

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Doris, you are alot smarter than I am about this blocking....putting aside morals and legality for a moment, lets say there is a you tuber named sabincoyote and he puts up the feed from whatever. Only he doesnt call it Finn Worlds Karen Chen. He calls it Event A, competitor B, cause all his friends have the decoded cheat sheet. How does YouTube find the vids to block them? Imbedded code?
    Good question!

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cleo2070 View Post
    Good question!
    I would think two things....
    There are 400 hours of youtube vid uploaded every minute....only a computer could check each vid in some manner.....so how does it do it?

1. Looks for imbedded code, like as found on DVDs that you cant copy.
    2. I would be willing to bet a nickel that someone on the web has software or even hardware that can defeat this. A video is after all nothing but something that can be reduced to an audio signal and video signal, analoge or digital.

It is interesting to me that one can leagally record a radio show on a cassette recorder and play it back as long as you dont make any money by copying it. ie you dont sell it, trade it, etc.
    I have a 9th generation Magnavox DVR/DVD burner-recorder-player with a TV tuner on board. I hook it up to my rabbit ears, and record PBS shows and NBC skating. I can then burn the programs to DVDs, copy the DVDs, etc.
    There are people in this world that sell these DVDs, and they are operating perhaps outside the law.

My problem with the whole industry is that if I want to download a song for bucks, the industry is THERE for me.
    But what if I wanted to purchase Tara and Johnny's commentary and video of the comp for all of worlds? Who is there to take my nickel?

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5g...fs-g4-en_sport

BBC commentary of the final group of Men's freeskate.

1 Not allowed!
    I would think two things....
    There are 400 hours of youtube vid uploaded every minute....only a computer could check each vid in some manner.....so how does it do it?
    I tried explaining the phenomenon of blocked YouTube vids a few months back, but I'll attempt another TLDR.

Consider these two real-world examples:

Have you ever heard music playing somewhere and then used an app on your phone (maybe Shazam or Soundhound?) to identify the song that's being playing in the background?

Have you ever done a reverse image search on the internet? This is when you already have the image on your computer but you are searching the internet to find other copies of that same image in other places on the internet. (Remember, a "video" is just a steady source of still images that simulate movement.)

Content (whether it's an image, audio, or video) can only be identified in these ways if it's been cataloged in some sort of database.

YouTube has an automated Content ID system that is constantly scanning all uploads (especially new uploads) to find matches in their copyrighted database catalog. If a match is found, the automated system can perform a number of actions on that video, including muting it, blocking it, monetizing it, etc. No human interaction is required in this scenario.

All audiovisual content generates a unique digital fingerprint and can be easily identified within YouTube's system. The only way to potentially get around this system would be to alter or distort the audiovisual content so it no longer closely resembles the original fingerprint. For audio, you could try altering the pitch, adding reverb or distortion, etc. For video, you could try distorting, manipulating, or bending the images (sort of like 'warping' the video). Often times the final results of this method aren't pretty.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sabinfire View Post
    I tried explaining the phenomenon of blocked YouTube vids a few months back, but I'll attempt another TLDR.

Consider these two real-world examples:

Have you ever heard music playing somewhere and then used an app on your phone (maybe Shazam or Soundhound?) to identify the song that's being playing in the background?

Have you ever done a reverse image search on the internet? This is when you already have the image on your computer but you are searching the internet to find other copies of that same image in other places on the internet. (Remember, a "video" is just a steady source of still images that simulate movement.)

Content (whether it's an image, audio, or video) can only be identified in these ways if it's been cataloged in some sort of database.

YouTube has an automated Content ID system that is constantly scanning all uploads (especially new uploads) to find matches in their copyrighted database catalog. If a match is found, the automated system can perform a number of actions on that video, including muting it, blocking it, monetizing it, etc. No human interaction is required in this scenario.

All audiovisual content generates a unique digital fingerprint and can be easily identified within YouTube's system. The only way to potentially get around this system would be to alter or distort the audiovisual content so it no longer closely resembles the original fingerprint. For audio, you could try altering the pitch, adding reverb or distortion, etc. For video, you could try distorting, manipulating, or bending the images (sort of like 'warping' the video). Often times the final results of this method aren't pretty.
    Thanks! I knew of course about law enforcement usage of image recognition, but I had no idea of the sophistication of what you explained (IE reverse image search) . And four hundred hours a minute! So even though the feed for an event might be the same, and there is Mao out on the ice being broadcast from a country that isnt being blocked on youtube, as soon as the software sees Tara and Johnny, it is taken down!

Meet the future!

There is perhaps a way to scramble a video and put it on the web somewhere and then the people downloading it have a descrambler? Doesnt some form of Cable/sattallite have this?

0 Not allowed!
    There is perhaps a way to scramble a video and put it on the web somewhere and then the people downloading it have a descrambler? Doesnt some form of Cable/sattallite have this?
    Encryption? Yes, you could download free encryption software (e.g. VeraCrypt) and do what you are suggesting. But is that necessary? We're talking about sharing figure skating videos here, not spy secrets.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sabinfire View Post
    Encryption? Yes, you could download free encryption software (e.g. VeraCrypt) and do what you are suggesting. But is that necessary? We're talking about sharing figure skating videos here, not spy secrets.
    Information about figure skating is much harder to obtain than state secrets! Where is wikileaks for skating?

I am not arguing the validity of copywrited material being struck off the web, or the morality component....I was just interested in the state of technology....
    I do think the whole business of copywrite in the modern age is very interesting. I can buy a book. I can loan the book to a friend. I can sell the book, all without
    violating copywrites. I just cant watch past skating videos that have basically zero real value.....

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aa456 View Post
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5g...fs-g4-en_sport

BBC commentary of the final group of Men's freeskate.
    Could you post BBC's ice dance programs? Thanks!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3