Meeting skaters in Helsinki | Golden Skate

Meeting skaters in Helsinki

Spadesprincess

Spectator
Hello everyone!
As worlds start this week I have a question for people who attend more competitions (I wish I could too, but have to start somewhere). Is there any official meet&greet event planned? If not, do you have any experience or advice how can one meet skaters?
Thank you very much and I hope have fun

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bumped into John Coughlin on the way out today. He is the U.S. 2011 pairs champ and has various GP event medals. He is a WONDERFUL broadcaster. I said, "Hey John Coughlin" and he gave me a huge hug. I had a chance to thank him for the part he played in the U.S. Kansas City Nationals organizing and to tell him he has to continue to do broadcasting.

ETA -- Also for anyone at practices today, that was Tatiana Tarasova in the Kiss and Cry area today, right? I glanced over there during the pairs, and it sure looked like her.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure about the setup in Helsinki, but last year in Boston skaters were everywhere. I don't recall official meet and greets, but you'll see them in the concourse, leaving the venue, at local shops and restaurants or at some of the exhibition booths during the competition itself.

I would also recommend during the competition, if you're sitting up in the rafters to come down to the main concourse during ice resurfacing and breaks. You're bound to run into many skaters who are there to watch the other competitions and cheer for their teammates.

Also, if Ice Network has a broadcast desk, find out where it is. Last year, the Shibs were at the table following their competition and signed some autographs. If you attend practices, most skaters will sign autographs after they are done with the practice session. Last year after Ladies practice the day of the FS, Ashley, Gracie and Mirai signed many autographs and took selfies with fans.

ETA: It's probably to best approach them after they have finished competing, they may be more relaxed and willing to chat. Each skater is different, but as long as you are polite, most are happy to chat briefly.

Also, I didn't do this last year, but if you know which hotel the skaters are staying at fans staked out the bars or the lobby the evenings and got to meet many skaters.

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
When we used to go to competitions we always reserved a room at the same hotel as the skaters. You'd meet them in the hotel restaurant, lobby, elevators.

Oreo

On the Ice
I'm at the Hilton, and there are skaters here.:) There was one whose back was to me in the restaurant. I didn't recognize him, but the waiter had his picture taken with him.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Normally, skaters will pose for pics after official practices with their fans or at least sign autographs, they just won't be as possibly chatty as say if you caught up to them in the concourse or hotel lobby after they are done with the competition.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure about the setup in Helsinki, but last year in Boston skaters were everywhere. I don't recall official meet and greets, but you'll see them in the concourse, leaving the venue, at local shops and restaurants or at some of the exhibition booths during the competition itself.

I would also recommend during the competition, if you're sitting up in the rafters to come down to the main concourse during ice resurfacing and breaks. You're bound to run into many skaters who are there to watch the other competitions and cheer for their teammates.

Also, if Ice Network has a broadcast desk, find out where it is. Last year, the Shibs were at the table following their competition and signed some autographs. If you attend practices, most skaters will sign autographs after they are done with the practice session. Last year after Ladies practice the day of the FS, Ashley, Gracie and Mirai signed many autographs and took selfies with fans.

ETA: It's probably to best approach them after they have finished competing, they may be more relaxed and willing to chat. Each skater is different, but as long as you are polite, most are happy to chat briefly.

Also, I didn't do this last year, but if you know which hotel the skaters are staying at fans staked out the bars or the lobby the evenings and got to meet many skaters.

This is very true. Like last year when I went to the men's FP, I saw Brendan Kerry, Alexandra Stepanova and Ivan Bukin, Victoria Sinitsina and Nikita Kastalapov, Misha Ge (Who I got a picture with), and a few more I believe in the stands or concourse at TD Garden (Omg, it has almost been a year since I went! WOW!).

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't talk to any skater but happened to witness what I'll call a Skater Parade. There was a magic door (?) they were all going in. Most of them just kept walking despite pleas for selfies and autographs. Nathan made the mistake of starting to sign a few autographs and then was mobbed! The parade included Nathan, Denis Ten, Stephane & Deniss, Mika Kolyada, Kevin Reynolds, and I could be wrong but think I saw Philippe Candeloro...Kevin Reynolds stopped to sign a young girl's skate. Jason never made it to the magic door cos I think he signed autographs for at least 20 minutes.

Talked to Jason's choreographer (Rohene) and coach (Kori).

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
The magic door to LP-land, where there is a tango song and a quad-spring waiting!