2017 World Ladies SP | Page 120 | Golden Skate

2017 World Ladies SP

Johns

Rinkside
Gabby being boring is your opinion so I can't say anything about it, but may I ask how exactly she has poor skills?

Her speed and SS are excellent, she has good transitions (especially entering the layback spin), and her jumps are spectacular. Her spins and some of presentation may be lacking in comparison to the other aspects above, but they are not poor at all.

If she would ever bother to straighten her knees, stop rushing into every element and concentrate on making it look presentable, clean her lines, work on a good air position... ahh... this can go on and on. Junior level skating, yet powerful and under the right flag.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Medvedeva -excellent as usual. A different league!
Osmond- good execution, over scored. Fits in a long line of skaters from a jumping brick category!
Daleman -boring, poor skills and just not pleasant to watch!
Pogo- shaky, jumping brick category with some potential! Beauty!
Chen - interesting, lots of work ahead!
Wagner - cheap show girl image is not working anymore!
Sotskova - boring, needs innovating style to go along with her unique looks!
Caro - respect, but her time is gone!

What's a jumping brick anyways?

I always wanted a Siberian cat so I could call her Dasha(diminutive of Daria or Darya). I'm not sure if there is a male equivalent name where Dasha can be used.

The male version of Daria is the Persian Darius. Darius I (Darius the Great) conquered everybody he could find and established the most extensive empire of his day. It lasted for a couple of hundred years until his descendant, Darius III, was defeated by Big Sasha (Alexander the Great) in 331 BCE. :)

FlattFan

Match Penalty
So your belief is that the point of the scoring system is, primarily, to allow us to compare these programs to those as far back as 2005? With completely different technical requirements. Oh. Ok.

Yes. Skating skills are skating skills, transitions are transitions, choreography is choreography, interpretation is interpretation, performance is performance. That's the whole point of CoP. What has changed in term of technical requirements that caused PCS to change? Different technical requirements change skating skills? In that case, Yuka Sato's skating skills are probably in line with Dabin Choi's skating skills, no?

Late commenter here!

Loved Ashley's presentation and commitment to her work. Was not a fan previously but I love her presence on the ice now- she's developed into a fabulous diva!

Anna was as brill as ever IMHO, but what a shame about Laurine Lecavelier and Nicole Rajicova :-(

Yes. Skating skills are skating skills, transitions are transitions, choreography is choreography, interpretation is interpretation, performance is performance. That's the whole point of CoP.

Kind of sad, when you think about it. :(

GrangerDanger

Spectator
Anyone else think Isadora Williams was amazing today? It's a shame someone can skate so well and not get to skate in the finals because I'd like to see her FS as much as anyone else.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5glieu_wc2017-isadora-williams-sp_sport

I think she's starting to really grow on me :eek::

I enjoyed a lot of the skaters who didn't end up qualifying. It almost makes me wish there were more spots in the final (although I understand why they cap it at 24). I liked Isadora a lot. Shuran Yu also stood out to me.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Med isn't as slow as people make her out to be. She is light and not labored, in the fancam.
Of course I do think that her scores are too much but at the same time I can see quality in her elements and skating now.

No, Med isn't slow. I think the whole point is that so many people have the idea that being fast = good SS. I think Med has this intrinsic quality and personality about her that will make judges get all beaming and feel good and in a generous mood. It really is her real strength, something which Sasha Cohen used to get as well. Unfortunately when you take a step back and look, is her SS in the 9s??? The choreo is really in the 9s??? For her SP, I agree she will get perfect 10 for PE and IN from me (yikes) but errr, SS will only be at most 7.5 to 8 and TR will get about 8.5 for quantity. The choreo being a muck around first half and then bam bam bam is a bit imbalanced and should be max only 8.5 because she does carry it out with precision.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
damn Wakaba was robbed big time.
She scored 65 in her GP for doubling her 2F which didn't count....
She nailed everything here and got lowballed on her PCS.
That was totally a 70 skate.

Globetrotter

Medalist
damn Wakaba was robbed big time.
She scored 65 in her GP for doubling her 2F which didn't count....
She nailed everything here and got lowballed on her PCS.
That was totally a 70 skate.

Clarification - she got totally lowballed on her SS component. Which of the ladies really skim across the ice with deep edges and smooth turns like Wakaba? Probably only CaroK. Unfortunately, Wakaba still hadn't developed the sort of projection and expressiveness which comes naturally to people like Zhenya and Kaetlyn which makes the judges less generous on the PE/IN/CH components. Sadly, PCS truly is subjective.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
The thread title needs changing to "Yuna appreciation/nostalgia" ???

Anyway, All is going as I predicated. The top two as they should be and Pogo will jump a spot or two in the free. Canadians delivered. Japan is so much in danger losing the 3d spot next year. But knowing Osmand's and Daleman's habit to bomb in free, I am hoping they pull up?

So whazzup whatif? Seems like the only thing that "bombed" here, were your predictions. Not to worry ...you and chuckm predicted similar, so misery likes company.

Also, the name is "Osmond", so that you know, for the next time you need to eat crow.

Last edited:

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I love Kaetlyn Osmond now. <3
And by the way cheers to this guy!
97b05289fb4626e150190e2281330d24.jpg