2017 Worlds Men's SP | Page 96 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Men's SP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Go watch Jason's again. Show me where the deductions are. Actually, I'll save you time: there are no places where Jason will lose points on the GoE, and he will certainly have better GoE than Kolyada on EVERY element other than the jumps.

And the jumps looked quite good. the 3A was quite impressive - decent height and ice coverage. I think people have associated Jason with inconsistent 3A for so long that people can't fathom that he can jump a good one. :laugh:

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
Group 4 FS Order
Yuzuru Hanyu
Nathan Chen
Boyang Jin
Patrick Chan
Shoma Uno
Javier Fernandez

Good order for both Hanyu and Fernandez. Hanyu seems to be imploding under pressure again and again ever since his WR postings last year. Now he can skate first, just worry about his own skate, and put the pressure on everyone else. Fernandez will know exactly what he needs to win, he could even opt to take something out depending what that is.

Pretty good for Uno, he will know what everyone but Fernandez did, skates right after Chan, and could put some pressure on Fernandez too with a great skate.

Not so great for Chen, especialy if Hanyu has a great skate right before him.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
This is not true. I'm always saying brown will place higher than others are saying because judges love him and his skating and jumps are meaningless for his success. I wish they were more important but many many ways to gather points.

Not sure what is funnier, the backhanded complement, or the fact that you don't even acknowledge that you're hating.

padme21

On the Ice
So now the big question: can at last one of Yuzuru Hanyu and Nathan Chen make the podium? ;)

I think both have the potential to make the podium I'd lean more towards Nathan making the podium. It just doesn't seem like Hanyu's year. His track record is good season,bad season. Last year was so good I'm not shocked by how things turned out. Still anything can happen in the FS. Praying both Nathan and Hanyu have great skates.

andromache

Record Breaker
I'm rooting for a win for Javi or Patrick. (I don't think Patrick has the TES in the LP to win gold but I can still dream.) It's Javi's to lose, but history shows that Javi lays it down best in the LP after a flawed SP. He doesn't win SPs at Worlds, until now. So I'm nervous for him.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Of course it is... as I have speculated during the preview thread. We are in Europe... the subtle (¬ too subtle) preference is there, just look at the judges mark from European countries.

It's so obvious. And I don't understand it. What do the other european judges have to win to overscore Javi like that?

Plisskin

Medalist
People who complain about American skaters can't make up their minds :laugh:.

1. Nathan doesn't deserve such high PCS! It doesn't matter how many quads you do, PCS is different from TES and quads shouldn't determine PCS!

2. Jason doesn't deserve such high PCS! How can he get such high PCS without a quad!

3a. How does Jason get such high GOE on his jumps when they aren't as big as other skaters' jumps?? That's not fair!
3b. *someone else complains about Evgenia Medvedeva's jump GOE* She has very intricate entrances and exits that determine her high GOE on jumps! Look at the criteria! *ignores Jason's entrances and exits from jumps*

Haters be hating just to hate. Have some consistency.

Thank you times 5 for this post. I've seen posters say this forum is biased in favor of American skaters but always see anything but with the constant hypocritical posts I see like in your example.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Haha, I can understand the judges, I would have given Javier all the +3's as well. He looked at them so serious a couple of times ... they didn't dare to give him low marks. When the champ lays it down everyone has to show deep respect. :biggrin:
I like that reasoning :rofl: he scared them

Haters be hating just to hate. Have some consistency.
way to pile up everyone together:laugh:

da96103

Record Breaker
Group 4 FS Order (poor Nathan again after Yuzu, lots of pressure on Javier to skate last)
Yuzuru Hanyu
Nathan Chen
Boyang Jin
Patrick Chan
Shoma Uno
Javier Fernandez

I think putting Javi last is a conspiracy to adjust his scores after all the others are known.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Really?! I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, but his skating quality was superb and his choreography was stunning.

I loved that the was a technical gong show from Fernandez/Uno/Hanyu/Chen/Jin and then your skates from Chan/Brown with one/no quad that showed the essence of figure skating and that it's not always about the jumps.

I can only pray these guys bring this level of skating (if not better) to the Olympics next season. I'm so proud of all of them. :clap:

Oh bless you for reminding everyone of this. It's not just about jumps.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Not sure what is funnier, the backhanded complement, or the fact that you don't even acknowledge that you're hating.

There is no hating. His jump difficulty is so far below almost all others but he is 8th! That he's so good in other things doing quads is not necessary. He's like being great at figures when they dominated over free skating in some ways.

Plisskin

Medalist
I hope Nathan is proud of himself. He did really well skating in his first Worlds with all of the hype and boot issues that has effected his jumps and also kept him off the ice and cut into his training time. This competition was overall well skated and I'm so ready for the free. I wonder if the top 3 guys can hold on to their positions? So exciting!

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
I think both have the potential to make the podium I'd lean more towards Nathan making the podium. It just doesn't seem like Hanyu's year. His track record is good season,bad season. Last year was so good I'm not shocked by how things turned out. Still anything can happen in the FS. Praying both Nathan and Hanyu have great skates.

IMO if the others skate well Nathan wont medal at this point even if he has a clean skate. A clean Nathan will absolutely not beat a clean Uno by over 7 points and upwards, and maybe not even a clean Chan by the 5 plus needed to pass him. And a clean or almost clean Hanyu will 100% beat Nathan no problem in the LP phase and thus of course stay ahead. I think unless the others, atleast 2 of these 3 others in fact, have problems, Nathan will now not medal, no matter what he does.

Last edited:

Bcash

Final Flight
So, the favorites ended up blowing it in the SP and our sneaky underdog 2-time WC is going to take it after all.

But there's still the FS. I can't even. It's going to be a bloodbath.

Good luck to him! He's becoming my favorite of the current crop of skaters.