2017 Worlds Pairs FS | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Pairs FS

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
The more difficult the programs will go the more injuries there will be. I saw Evgenias fall live. It just came from nowhere like the slippery of ice suprised her and Vladim dif not have time to react. She must have bleeding. And seemed the coach told them to continue. I woulf have wanted tl go and hit thr coach.
They really seemed to be happy to have bronze.
I think all the placements are exactly as they should be.
Vanessa and James are like bottle of energy drink for the audience.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Are S/H the deserved winners? Of course
Were S/M better? Kind of yes.

Aljona und Bruno's program is a masterpiece. The audience supported them very much. Never ever watched a pair routine like this.

All in all Aljona missed the Gold with double footing the second throw. It seemed like she overrotated it. At Euros their throws very on one foot.

I think the PCS gap should have been bigger between the first two. But the fall did not cost as much as the small mistakes by the Germans.

After T/M missed the lift it was clear that there is only bronze for them today. The judges really did not gave the PCS like at Euros. Rightly so. They definitly need better programs to medal at OS.

All of the first pairs have an high risk element in the program (quad. Axel. Tripel triple). It is a must now. I think Aljona and Buno will add the 4Tw next year. And it will be huge.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think Aljona and Bruno might change their approach over the summer. The 3ATh is not something that they can do consistently probably ever. With a good 3FTh or 3LTh they would have won this competiton. Also because Sui/Han had some problems with the levels on the lifts. S/M should add the quad twist imo. Their lifts are stunning and they have very intricate and interesting programs. Great lifts. The PCS they get doesn't offend me, yes, Aljona is the better skater but Bruno has developed nicely and is no slouch.
I'm prepared for a battle royal next season! :hap93:

Rissa

Record Breaker
I got the sense that the crowd was behind SM more because they are a European pair who did well recently at Europeans and especially Savchenko simply is more well known than S/H. This doesn't feel like a particularly knowledgeable skating audience. (The height of a triple twist earned gasps, understandably, but little acknowledgement of the two quad twists.)

I agree that SM's program is the most enchanting of them all, and Savchenko's qualities only added to it (Massot was also really good). But the two footed, low landings did feel jarring to me (maybe not to some of the audience whose view angles might have prevented them from seeing the touch-down). As a viewer I was like, you get so much height and distance on those throws so why are you always two footing them? What a waste on that height! And after all it's just not a clean element. So I think the GOEs on those elements definitely should be negatively affected.

This is really the reason for the crowd support, not because the pair is european. S/m program is just much more of a crowd pleaser. S/h's program is much more reflective and their music much slower, and, uh, slow american standards are not particularly popular ( if i'm to be completely honest, i find that song just boring). The crowd support for s/h short program was amazing, but then they had a crown pleaser.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm so proud of Katia and Harley for skating so well. It's been a big season. Poor Harley looked absolutely done in by the end. Now they can come home, rest, recover, Harley can heal his knee, and they can lie on the beach for a few weeks.

Yuui

Rinkside
I must say that I preferred Sui Han over Savchenko Massot, some may prefer it differently. When it comes to the top level teams it most of the time comes down to personal taste. And yes I find many winners and medalist over the years to have had extremely boring programs, but I would never claim that their programs where worse than the teams I liked. Just because it comes down to personal taste.

The thing that bothers me with figure skating today is that you can get pluses for an element that isn't correctly done.:scratch2: I don't understand how anyone can get plus GEOs for a pore landing or for a side by side spin that isn't synchronized from beginning to end. Especially when the judges can go back and look at the execution of each element.
And yes I am deadly bored with unnecessary transitions that don't do anything for the program and the interpretation of the music. Sometimes I wish they would revise the meaning of transitions and what it should be, not that the more you do the higher your points will be. *sorry for this rant but I just needed to say it*

tulosai

Record Breaker
Absolute nonsense that they qualified 2 for Worlds next season but not the Olympics. But France who's 2nd team finished a dismal 27th will have two spots for only one decent team.

While I agree the USA #2 is currently better than the French #2, the rules are the rules, and also, let's be real, it's not like the USA has some awesome deep pairs program. We have one good team, maybe 2-3 decent teams and zero great teams. We've had no improvement in out program since maybe the 90's. We don't need two spots any more than France does. That's not to say I don't understand people's disappointment- I do. Simeca/Knerim will 99% for certain get the spot next year as they should and they are far from my favorite US pair. But many countries have had to endure similar disappointments. Russia currently has only 2 dance spots. Do they need three? No. Do I wish they had three? Yes. Do they need three more than the USA needs 2 pairs spots? Also yes. But that's life sometimes.

If the USA wants more spots guaranteed they need to seriously think about how to develop their pairs program because what they've been doing for the past 20-30 years is not working and has never worked.

snd

On the Ice
partial live recap for those who watched the event from the safety of their homes and don't mind subjective opinions:

from the first group i liked the australians the best and was surprised they finished dead last. theirs felt like a coherent program and they looked like a pair, a team, as opposed to just 2 individuals. will look them up and remember them. the koreans were also nice. overall impression: these two were more enjoyable to watch than the others. the downside of watching these events live is that you don't have the upper left corner mini scoresheet and don't really know how all the individual elements have been scored... stolbova/klimov have a nice lp this season and they are VERY fast - they fly over the ice, but... the quality just wasn't there this time. i'm talking about the elements.

second group: that sbs jump pop from vanessa was costly. they were ok and she is so beautiful (it's one of those things that translates to the screen, though - so this will come as hardly any news to anyone. vanessa is BEAUTIFUL) and some people stood up when they were done but i felt they have much better performances in them. i didn't see pairs sp live but judging by what i saw online, their sp (despite that weird fall) was much better performed and had greater intensity and sense of abandon than what i saw live yesterday. they are THE team to watch out for in the future. they are not so young but probably have 1-2 really good seasons in them. the best performance of the group belongs to marchei/hotarek. they were pretty clean which was very refreshing to see. they sort of lack speed in general. they are not very special and their skating skills are by no means extraordinary but they ARE charismatic. they got a partial standing ovation. the 3rd canadian team was very likable. all the canadian pairs have left me cold when watching them from my computer screen. yesterday, all of them suddenly seemed lovely. especially this team and, later, duhamel/radford.

third group: the other canadians. duhamel is so slight and has this really girly youthfulness about her - this came as a huge surprise to me because apparently there are no cameras that can capture this. i didn't feel like duhamel/radford are 'not a pair' or whatever the usual criticism is. to me they seemed like they skate with a sense of freedom and abandon while lacking in any sort of pretentiousness. there's a lovely simplicity about them and i don't mean that the program is empty because it's not. i/m - can't stand the music so i'll have to pass on commenting here except that the first lift is ethereal! z/e - ok so here's an empty program but the scores were surprisingly low. will have to check the protocols to understand what's up with that.

fourth group: t/m. i've hated their lp and the music/costumes the entire season. yet i really liked their performance last night. the music sounded cool, even if a bit dated - it was 'big' in the arena. they were 'big' enough for the music, too. shame about that aborted lift, but they seem to be one of those teams that are nice live, but don't translate well to the screen. sort of like duhamel/radford. with both teams, when watching them live, i thought: yes, i can understand where the pcs come from. before yesterday they always seemed overscored in pcs (to me). y/z - ok they are very adult. they stand out among all the other teams because they have a seriousness about them that is very adult-like and i mean it as a huge compliment. their seriousness somehow saves that emil sauer schmaltz music and dignifies the program greatly. she's like a princess. bladesofpassion, i believe, has always stressed that zhang has great skating skills and expression - something i never agreed with because it doesn't come through watching him online. live, though, it's obvious. hao zhang is a good skater with great skating skills. i liked them just as much as t/m - the bronze could have been either pair's and i'd have been ok with the results. s/m - lovely. but unlike the former teams, they are better watching from screen than live. they have a lovely program - my favourite this season - and bruno is a very good skater and no, he's not a 'wardrobe skating with aliona'. BUT her ss are nothing to write home about. the edges just... no. i wonder what they were like live with robin. standing ovation but i expected more from them. the 'wow'-est twist of all yesterday's twists, obviously, but still... expected them to have more overall quality. the two-footed landings, shallow edges and the fistpump at the very end of such a tender, ethereal program made what could have been great merely good. and i'm saying it as someone who was really rooting for them to win. great job on sbs jumps and spins, though.

sui/han. ok i dislike their programs this season. blues for klook? look at usova/zhulin to get an idea how it should be done. this boring monotone pop song for lp? ugh. live, though, they are AMAZING. they blew s/m out of the water - as they did with everyone else. their ss, the edges are so deep - they skated like what i imagine patrick must skate like. the edges are like BUTTER. great stuff. amazing flow. great connection - everyone else lacks connection compared to these two. the quality is there. everything they do is brilliant. much better live than on tv/pc screen. their superiority over everyone else is... tremendous. deserved gold. standing o.

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
I didn't think yesterday before the event started, I would wake up today with a big smile on my face! S/K from 13th to 5th, third best FS of all (and that's with S/H and S/M in the room!). Absolutely gobsmacked. They will recharge their batteries, have a good assessment of their realistic capacities and be ready for the Olympic season. Sooooo happy!!!:love:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I didn't think yesterday before the event started, I would wake up today with a big smile on my face! S/K from 13th to 5th, third best FS of all (and that's with S/H and S/M in the room!). Absolutely gobsmacked. They will recharge their batteries, have a good assessment of their realistic capacities and be ready for the Olympic season. Sooooo happy!!!:love:

You can be even happier with the fact that they had the highest BV of the night!

rain

Record Breaker
The thing that bothers me with figure skating today is that you can get pluses for an element that isn't correctly done.:scratch2: I don't understand how anyone can get plus GEOs for a pore landing or for a side by side spin that isn't synchronized from beginning to end. Especially when the judges can go back and look at the execution of each element.
And yes I am deadly bored with unnecessary transitions that don't do anything for the program and the interpretation of the music. Sometimes I wish they would revise the meaning of transitions and what it should be, not that the more you do the higher your points will be. *sorry for this rant but I just needed to say it*

I couldn't agree more. Which is why it's utter nonsense that they're changing the GOE scale to +5 to -5 from three in either direction. The judges can't even get the GOE right as it now stands, and throwing in more will just make it worse and will not stop them from handing it out like candy to their favourites. You cannot possibly, in real time, reflect on all of the bullet points to determine properly and plus or minus 5. Three is enough of a struggle.

Santey

Match Penalty
Just a little excerpt from Tarasova\Morozov interview. Rough translation.

Guys, congratulations with the bronze, which is possibly worthy than gold for you. When was the decision about skating made, although Zhenya's injury?

V: After the happened in the training I had various thoughts in my head. From the outset it seemed that this championship for us was ended even isn't started, because I saw the layer of the cut, there were the bone protruded for real. The wound was massively deep. And, perhaps, there was a mirracle occuring that we were able to skate. But Zhenya immideately said she was able. Albeit we didn't know till the last moment, would we perform or not. When came out, how is Zhenya feeling, how is the leg, what are the senses. would be able or not. Everything was determined in the last six minutes.

How is the fall happened? There are loads of versions and fantasies now.

V: For one reason, there's a video in the web. Those who don't believe might watch. Geniunely, there was a downfall in the practice. That is not any PR, and not canard. If it's interested, we could even upload the photo in the web. Any speculations doesn't do justice to people, who doesn't believe facts.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Just a little excerpt from Tarasova\Morozov interview. Rough translation.

Guys, congratulations with the bronze, which is possibly worthy than gold for you. When was the decision about skating made, although Zhenya's injury?

V: After the happened in the training I had various thoughts in my head. From the outset it seemed that this championship for us was ended even isn't started, because I saw the layer of the cut, there were the bone protruded for real. The wound was massively deep. And, perhaps, there was a mirracle occuring that we were able to skate. But Zhenya immideately said she was able. Albeit we didn't know till the last moment, would we perform or not. When came out, how is Zhenya feeling, how is the leg, what are the senses. would be able or not. Everything was determined in the last six minutes.

How is the fall happened? There are loads of versions and fantasies now.

V: For one reason, there's a video in the web. Those who don't believe might watch. Geniunely, there was a downfall in the practice. That is not any PR, and not canard. If it's interested, we could even upload the photo in the web. Any speculations doesn't do justice to people, who doesn't believe facts.
photo

it's terrible.....
:eeking:

Last edited:

Nika09

On the Ice
Just have watched medal ceremony, LOL! It was so funny,when Morosov and Massot lifted Han. And the part where Sui hit his partner with elbow while they was standing on podium and he was talkative, poor guy :biggrin: Absolutely like that girl tough!

Last edited:

Yuui

Rinkside
I couldn't agree more. Which is why it's utter nonsense that they're changing the GOE scale to +5 to -5 from three in either direction. The judges can't even get the GOE right as it now stands, and throwing in more will just make it worse and will not stop them from handing it out like candy to their favourites. You cannot possibly, in real time, reflect on all of the bullet points to determine properly and plus or minus 5. Three is enough of a struggle.

ugh not looking forward to that:unsure:

After watching this worlds I am really disappointed in the judging. Fortunately most of the time it didn't effect the skaters placements. Although the GOEs judging is a really big problem I also find the components score a problem. Its like they are still stuck in the 6.0 era, when most got judged on how known you where, how you were placed after the short and so on. The system should be about the program you skated on the day, not what you have or haven't done before. And what is the point if skaters that are skilled in the components don't get reworded for it, and skaters who aren't still get great components scores.

Last edited: