2017 Worlds: Ladies FS Highlights | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds: Ladies FS Highlights

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Perhaps with the pressure of Peyongchang looming, many of the Ladies medal favorites succumbed when they took the ice at the 2017 World Figure Skating Championships on Friday. Tumbles and two-footed landings were the theme of the night. Despite the pattern of disastrous skates – first Ashley Wagner, then Carolina Kostner, then Anna Pogorilaya – mighty Russian Evgenia Medvedeva skated her very best and set a new world record along the way.

More

What are your thoughts on the Ladies' event?

stella luna

Final Flight
Perhaps with the pressure of Peyongchang looming, many of the Ladies medal favorites succumbed when they took the ice at the 2017 World Figure Skating Championships on Friday. Tumbles and two-footed landings were the theme of the night. Despite the pattern of disastrous skates – first Ashley Wagner, then Carolina Kostner, then Anna Pogorilaya – mighty Russian Evgenia Medvedeva skated her very best and set a new world record along the way.

More

I thought Gaby should have been ahead of Osmond. Otherwise, pretty pleased the Americans pulled through and saved the three spots, but we should send Anna, Maria and Satoko flowers. Had the Russian girls been on their game and Satoko not injured, it would have been a different story.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
My thoughts before Anna: What a lacklustre event.
My thoughts after Anna: I don't care about this anymore, goodbye.

Those were my honest thoughts.

Nocturne

On the Ice
So proud of Mai with her redemption free skate! :D But sad about the 3 spots :(
And while Evgenia isnt my cup of tea at all and she'll probably never be, you have to applaud her for delivering every time. And in an overall rather badly skated event like this, I can understand where her gigantic scores come from better than before. Must have been a relief for the judges after the skates before.

But I still think she shouldnt be as untouchable though if more people beform their best cleanly as well. But when will that ever happen xD

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
would totally suck if Evgenia doesn't win the Olympics and someone random snatches it.

Violetti

On the Ice

More

I would not say a disastrous skate if the score is 130,50 like Kostner and Ashley Wagner was 7th overall and secured three spots for the USA. Had she been tenth there would be no three spots. They could have skated better but they skated good enough unlike Anna.

I am so happy for the Canadians. I am interested in seeing how many years Medvedeva will compete.

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
There is zero chance of anyone not named Medvedeva winning the Olympic Gold next year. Zero. She wont begin to be challenged (if she is) until the 2018-2019 season.

For those who talk about womens favorite never winning the Olympics- Sumners in 84, Thomas in 88, Ito in 92, Kerrigan in 94, Kwan in 98, Slutskaya (or Kwan) in 2002, Slutskaya in 2006, Asada in 2010 (I am not sure if she even counts, wasnt Kim in fact the favorite this year), Asada or Kim in 2014, not a single one of those is anywhere near as dominant going in or as heavily favored for the gold medal as Medvedeva is right now. Not even in the same stratsophere as much as in fact.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I'm so proud of Karen. She wasn't perfect, but she did remarkably well for a worlds debutee with a reputation for imploding spectacularly. Clearly, one must never count out a headcase. :yes:

Warwick360

Medalist
Zijun Li, awarded <50 PCS by the judges in the free skate. Still needing time to get my head around it. :palmf:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Zijun Li, awarded <50 PCS by the judges in the free skate. Still needing time to get my head around it. :palmf:

I am more upset by the ONLY 0.79 above Anna's FS in TES. TES is supposed to be the most objective.

The scoring actually invalidates COP judging altogether.

charmblade

Final Flight
I'm just glad that for such a messy event overall, the three medalists skated incredibly well and absolutely earned those medals. Very happy for Evgenia, Kaetlyn, and Gabby!!