2017 Worlds Free Dance | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Free Dance

MarieM

On the Ice
The whole quote of Romain, while answering a question about Scott's misteps in the FD.
D'autant que le retournement coupable de Scott Moir dans le libre n'a pas été sanctionné sur les notes artistiques.
« J'ai l'impression en étant objectif qu'il y a un petit peu deux poids deux mesures quand même, mais il faudra analyser ça, lâchait Haguenauer. Quoi qu'il arrive, c'est fait, et il n'y a pas de retour possible, il faut garder le positif. »
So people might stop putting words in his mouth.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
thanks, because we all speak french :sarcasm:

Just did this quick but:

Scott was not punished much for the mistake in the free in the artistic mark.

"My impression when being objective is there is a little bit of a double standard, but it needs to be analyzed. What happened is done, and there's no going back, so you have to stay positive"

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Just popping in to say that Tobias/Tkatchenko probably have my favorite Nutcracker program ever. The music may actually translate better on ice than on stage.

professordeb

Spectator
Just did this quick but:

Scott was not punished much for the mistake in the free in the artistic mark.

"My impression when being objective is there is a little bit of a double standard, but it needs to be analyzed. What happened is done, and there's no going back, so you have to stay positive"

Find it interesting that he uses my impression and being objective which I understand means he is not saying this as part of team Montreal but as the coach of P/C. The part about "double standard", if I were V/M, make me want to have a bit of a chat with the "team" once they resume training. Dealing with a possible coaching issue is something that I would hope gets addressed sooner than later. Certainly don't need to go down THAT path again.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
I agree that the almost fall of Scott should be more penalized in some way. But W..TF., how is possible a member of your coaching team is doing that kind of comments? :scowl:

No such thing as an "almost fall". Per the rules a skater either falls or he/she doesn't. Scott stumbled. They lost marks. Otherwise it was an exquisite program.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think the best way to look at this is: V/M are probably inspired to correct their mistakes and skate better next season and P/C are probably pleased to have closed the gap since the GPF and they seemed very pleased with their skate at Worlds.

The short dance is where P/C lost this. They never quite got this short dance right and it plagued them all season. I thought it was a lot better at worlds than it had been at the GPF or at Europeans but the mistake in the twizzles was costly. V/M on the other hand were excellent in the short. They had the best short dance by leaps and bounds. In my opinion, even though my favourite short dance was G/P, it was such a strong dance for them that it won them the World title. I'm not quite sure why other teams didn't fix their short dances when the saw that they were falling behind.

We all know that V/M can do the latin dances. I for one don't know about P/C's latin dance abilities. I have no evidence one way or the other. If I were them I would put a lot on effort into creating as good of a short dance as I possibly could. We know the Free is going to be their strong suit, it always is. What they need is a short dance that sets them up nicely for the free.
V/M need to do something that is not right in P/C wheelhouse. They are, in my opinion, more versatile and are capable of doing a variety of different styles. I want to see them do something most other teams can't really do. Something like Carmen or Hip Hip Chin Chin. Something sexy and aggressive, loud and powerful. Subtle and evocative is P/C's strength and they need to do something so different from that that it stands out. Just please no La La Land!

On the important points raised in the last few pages: I think it was a stumble, not a fall. I think 116 was too high and would have been happier with 114. I think that coach should not have commented because it opens him up to being accused of favouritism. I'm hopeful that I enjoy the Shib's and Chock and Bates programs more this coming season than last season (Free dances I mean).

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Just popping in to say that Tobias/Tkatchenko probably have my favorite Nutcracker program ever. The music may actually translate better on ice than on stage.
I really liked Misha Ge's nutcracker this year. That music always makes me happy.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Something like Carmen or Hip Hip Chin Chin. Something sexy and aggressive, loud and powerful. Subtle and evocative is P/C's strength and they need to do something so different from that that it stands out. Just please no La La Land!

They won't do La la land NONONO, impossible, I would be SO ANGRY if they do. But I am sure they won't ;)
I agree that the contemporary style suits them but maybe not as much as they would like (perhaps?) but the Carmen was never skated with full potential. Too bad we have latin SD, I would have liked a Latin FD from V/M tbh.
Or... a Tango. :clap: FIRE.
We should do thread about what we want or what we think are the best choices for each ID teams for the FD :rolleye:

alain06fr

On the Ice
I shared with you guys this article with Romain's comments. Was a bit surprised by some strong reactions against Romain and his interview. Well... Why not... But freedom of speech applies to all, even for coaches (as long as no one is denigrated nor insulted).

Even though we had discussions and debates about some scores, levels and GOEs (which is expected after all, right?), this season was great and I really enjoyed being in Helsinki for the World championships (plus Helsinki is a such a nice city).

The TV broadcast was not great and clearly did not show things I could see in the arena. I did not have this impression in Ostrava, the main difference being I was seated behind the judges in Ostrava and on the opposite side in Helsinki. People usually say it's much better to be seated behind the judges... Well... I am not so sure about that.

There were so many surprises between the short and the free dance programs / performances, more than usual. These ups and downs just show the competition was really tough and everybody is subject to mistakes.

I was personally very disappointed for Zach. Madi and him were so close to get a bronze medal. In any case, Madi and Zach demonstrated their talent and they are in a ramp up phase. I am sure they will challenge Madi/Evans and Maia/Alex next season at US championships.

I was extremely happy for Gaby and Guillaume and their free dance performance. I saw a prototype of this program in Montréal in August and I was extremely surprised. That's the least I can say! Think that, at that time, the music was still the original version, very different from the "modified" version used at Europeans and Worlds... In August, it was very hard for me to imagine how they would manage to captivate the audience with this free dance program... But they managed to do that brilliantly in Ostrava and even more in Helsinki. This goal was not reached by luck. They tremendously worked to get there and all this work helped them grow significantly and is an investment for the future, starting by next season. They wanted to challenge themselves. Given their young age (21 & 22), that was a clever decision. Well done guys!

Congratulations to Tessa and Scott. Come backs are usually not that successful but this one was successful. Their short dance was the best this season imHo. I was lucky enough to see their performances in Marseille and Helsinki. Tessa is among the greatest ice dancers ever. They will start the next season as the favourites.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I finally finished off watching the entire dance event and sigh.......:palmf: I'm not done with watching the final group of the ladies FS and the whole men's FS segment, so I feel I'm gonna use this emoticon more often later as well. :slink:

Before watching the FD, I acknowledged several glaring arguments on the thread/YouTube/blogs although I didn't read them thoroughly. Those remarks made me put off to watch it though. In my understanding, some said this, others said that;

1. Virtue/Moir robbed of Papadakis/Cizeron's World title with their reputation as OGM while the French saved the doomed FS event with their magnificent performance. The French should've won with a slight margin over the Canadians. The Canadians FD was overscored.​
or​
Virtue/Moir's win is rightful despite his several mistakes in the FD because the competition is comprised of two segments and they led 6 point margin which is enough to win overall. P/C should get a better SD and their FD were overscored.​

2. The Shibutanis robbed of Weaver/Poje or Cappellini/Lanotte's bronze medal despite their technical errors.​
or​
The siblings were in an insulting position to be snatched by their two compatriot teams, but because of their bombing, Shibu got their rightful bronze. W/P were boring and C/L should challenge other genres.

3. Bobrova and Soloviev's FD score was outrageous and their program was outdated and their performance was sloppy. The Russian Feds tried hard to push them to get a bronze.​
or​
Their program was enjoyable and why should their 3rd in the FD be upsetting while most of the top flight messed up or didn't deliver?​

4. Oh, poor Hubbell and Donohue

5. Deplorable twizzles​

I was excited for V/M's return and thrilled about their winning the GPF finally, but my opinion is V/M shouldn't won the Worlds title with the supbar FD performance. I don't get how their FD score is just 1 point below their best FD score earned at 4CC even considering the tendency that scores at Worlds in general get inflated. But there was no score inflation this time except V/M's WR in the SD and P/C's WR in the FD. P/C got their SD score from their execution, so should V/M have. At least the overall score gap between the top two should've been very close. Though both brilliantly delivered in each segment by turns.

Regarding the bronze, I rooted hard for either Weaver/Poje or Cappellini/Lanotte to take the bronze because I wished they shook off their past unfortunate outcomes. Moreover I loved their programs much more than the Shibutanis whose programs this season haven't attracted my attention at all unlike the magical Fix You. Their performances looked to me technically precise but lack charisma and they did relatively small skating. I'm very happy that W/P finally got out of the slump, but their both performances weren't that sharp compared to their 2013/14 or 14/15. Their coaching and environment change might took a lot of their practice time. As for C/L, while I really enjoyed their FD just a little behind P/C, I feel that the judges won't give high scores as long as they bring same old programs. Though I definitely would like to place them above B/S. I also liked Bobrova and Soloviev's program, but they could've done it better.

I'm heartbroken for Hubbell and Donohue. The rate of Zach's twizzle error looks like going to be as much as Poje's. :unsure: H/D was so close to the bronze. He could deliver beautiful twizzles in the SD (horrible music edits), but why not in the beautiful FD?

The final results are also puzzling me. I also don't get how Chock/Bates beat Piper/Paul with the 4 point margin and got 1 point below the clean C/L who got the audience on their feet.

Aside from the top contenders, I really enjoyed performances from the Turkish, Danish and Chinese team and am glad for their earning their Olympic spot at Worlds.

Last edited: