Your top 5 faves from Worlds 2017 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Your top 5 faves from Worlds 2017

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I missed more than half of it (grrr! Life can be SO inconvenient!), but on the whole it was one of the best World's I can remember. I may get carpal tunnel from rewatching it!

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Argh! So many to choose from but here's my list:

- Yuzuru Hanyu's FS.
- Gabrielle Daleman's SP
- Elizabet Tursynbaeva's FS
- Patrick Chan's FS
- Jason Brown's FS

Honorable mentions to: Javier Fernandez' SP, Misha Ge's FS, Michael Christian Martinez' FS, Anna Pogorilaya's SP. :hap10:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
01. Sui/Han's SP
02. Karen Chen's SP
03. Hanyu's LP
04. Patrick Chan's LP
05. Shoma Uno's LP

And none for Dance, because the Free Dances this year were such a sea of mediocrity (Chock/Bates and Hubbell/Donohue had the best programs and then went and mucked them up :(, Chock/Bates were overperforming it the whole way through even besides the twizzle mistake).

TMC

Record Breaker
When the whole audience started clapping and encouraging Laurine and others after they fell, I realized that it was a really special audience. They were holding the skaters up with love and giving them strength. Quite beautiful to behold, I must say.

I still get chills when I think about how they clapped encouragement for Hubbell & Donohue pretty much continuously from the fall to the end of the programme. That was a moment.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I still get chills when I think about how they clapped encouragement for Hubbell & Donohue pretty much continuously from the fall to the end of the programme. That was a moment.

:ghug:, that was sure a great moment, like many - this audience really made me love FS more,despite all underwhelming things, sad things happened. The most moving moments were crowd's reaction during Anna's FS and after that, I hope she felt this insane power and encouragement I felt watching it on TV, second one is reaction and so many teared people after Wenjing and Han's FS

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Aside from favorite performances, which are many, I'm actually just in awe of the fact we saw six world records broken at Worlds 2017. Three in Ice Dance, two in Ladies and one in Men. How amazing is this?

TMC

Record Breaker
:ghug:, that was sure a great moment, like many - this audience really made me love FS more,despite all underwhelming things, sad things happened. The most moving moments were crowd's reaction during Anna's FS and after that, I hope she felt this insane power and encouragement I felt watching it on TV, second one is reaction and so many teared people after Wenjing and Han's FS

People were crying after Misha's performance, too!

My top five:

1) No prizes for guessing: obviously Jason's FS
2) Jason's SP
3) Aliona & Bruno's FS
4) Sui & Han's SP
5) Quite unexpectedly: Boyang Jin's FS

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
People were crying after Misha's performance, too!

My top five:

1) No prizes for guessing: obviously Jason's FS
2) Jason's SP
3) Aliona & Bruno's FS
4) Sui & Han's SP
5) Quite unexpectedly: Boyang Jin's FS

Jason and Boyang are for me one of the biggest winners of the whole Worlds, even if Jason had no medal and Boyang won bronze. Gotta love that outcome they produced against all odds and quite a lot of people:)

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
Some great performances in Helsinki :love:
My top 5:

1) Yuzuru's FS - just unbelievable.
2) Shoma's FS - great, great, great! Loved the program all season and I'm very happy how he performed it in Helsinki! Sensational :love:
3) Sui/Han's FS - just a piece of art, amazing interpretation through the program :love:
4) Mai's FS - she is such a talent and that was a great comeback after an unfortunate SP :hap10:
5) Caro's EXH - yes, an exhibition :laugh: but one of the best program I have ever seen. Just lovely :luv17:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Besides the US getting three spots for both men's and ladies (despite the hand wringing on this site) here are my favorites.

1) Jason Brown's SP and FS - proving he can place just outside the "Big 6" without a quad (although props to him for attempting in the free).
2) Sui and Han's SP and FS - even with a mistake they proved they are peerless
3) Yuzu regaining his title with a record setting FS. And respect for Shoma for giving him a run for his money.
4) The Canadian ladies getting on the podium. Nobody was going to beat Medvedeva but Kaetlyn and Gabby put Canada back in the conversation.
5) Virtue and Moir setting a record with their Prince SP. I loved that program since I saw it at Skate Canada last October and to see it grow and improve was amazing.

Honorable mentions to: Gabby & Guillaume winning the FD, Misha's top 10 free skate (and possible last competitive skate ever), Alexa and Chris just being there after the year they had, Vale & Ondrej's great skates and her enthusiasm, and Karen Chen for placing 4th after all the naysayers and helping Ashley get those 3 spots.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
1) Watching C/L get a standing ovation

2)Lil Bet's mom

3) Arena Announcer

4) The Helsinki World Championship Logo with flowers

5) Seeing a full crowd on hand and the great support they gave!

Oh I loved the arena announcer. It's like he took time out of his regular job announcing soccer matches. "Their total score is 987432443,9078894323473 and they are currently in FIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

What's not to love?

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
My picks...

1. The Canadian ladies meeting my expectations, and how was your weekend chuckm? Long time no see, and for good reason given the results in Helsin-ki

2. Karen picking up the pieces for the American women. How's the letter of protest going, any word?

3. Lubov and Dylan showing the world they are a top tier team, and the remarkable results for Meagan & Eric, having such grit, competing while injured and assuring Canada 3 spots.

4. Tessa and Scott, in a class of their own, same with Patrick and his amazing skating qualities

5. The Canadian women, the story of these Worlds! And yet, another reason to never underestimate a Canadian!

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Yuzu's FS (I am ambivalent about it all this season and then I suddenly 'get it', or rather the program simply came alive)
Karen's SP
Patrick's FS
Javier's SP
Sui/Han SP
V/M SP
Jason's FS (Finally after 2 seasons, he get it right when it matters the most)

Honourable mention:
Boyang's 4lz (Whaaaaaaaaaaa :eeking: ~~~ )
Hanyu's 4s3T :clap:
Gabby's 3T3T :yes:

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
Favoritte 5

1. Sui/Han LP
2. Luba and Moskovitch SP
3. Katelyn Osmond SP
4. Patrick Chan's SP
5. Gilles and Poirier FD

and I'm NOT Canadian!

Lambari

Final Flight
1. Yuzuru Hanyu's FS which left me breathless and is my favourite Hanyu free skate to date.

2. Karen Chen's elegant SP and her peculiar bird hands.

3. Patrick Chan's everything; his presence and excellence

4. Boyangman for being a ball of sunshine.

5. Don't have a true one, so I'll just put this photo.

This era of Men's figure skating is absolutely incredible and this Worlds proves it!

Last edited:

MTK

Match Penalty
My top 5 (watching repeatedly), in no particular order:

- Papadakis/Cizeron - LP

- Wenjing Sui/Cong Han - SP

- Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier - LP

- Shoma Uno - SP
- Shoma Uno - LP (my favorite program of the season) :love: :clap: :love:

Last edited:

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
1) Patrick's FS
2) Kaetlyn's SP
3) Karen's SP
4) Jason's FS
5) Tessa and Scott's SD

These programs are all wonderfully choreographed to enjoyable music, and they were performed extremely well by these talented athletes/artists. :)

novalisa

Match Penalty
top 5

1) yuzuru hanyu's breathtaking LP performance, the way he combines strength with delicacy makes him one of the best skaters ever and clearly the best of his generation, I also love how he won with a WR despite being underscored
2) Javier's SP I love the program skated cleanly, it was so amazing to watch, sooo sad about his LP
3) Mai Mihara's LP, you go girl, I hope to see her in top form next year
4) Shoma Uno's everything, he truly stands out when he skates
5) Misha Ge's LP

Honorable mensions: hubbel and donohue I just love them despite everything

Interspectator

Record Breaker
So many moments, but:
1. Yuzu's everything
2. Mai's comeback skate
3. A night of clean SPs from the Men. So many good performances
4. Boyangman's Clean programs!
5. S/H pairs win!