Your top 5 faves from Worlds 2017 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Your top 5 faves from Worlds 2017

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
1. Ilushechkina/Moscovitch's FS - if Lubov will learn to jump, they will be on the top. Their FS is my absolute favorite program even with mistakes.
2. Boyang's SP - just splendid.
3. Evgenia's SP - two hands over her head on the second jump in her combo, she never stops to amaze me.
4. Shoma's SP - welldone.
5. Ivett's SP - very charming girl with good choreography.

ragdoll

On the Ice
1. Fernandez' SP
2. Savchenko/Massot's FP regardless of mistakes
3. Papadakis/Cizeron's FP
4. Medvedeva's FP
5. James/Cipre's FP regardless of the mistakes

yude

Record Breaker
YUZURU HANYU

Boyang Jin SP
Mai Mihara LP

(sorry, I picked only three)

SkatingBird711

Rinkside
Both of Zhenya's programs, Hanyu's free, Sui/Han both programs, Shoma both programs, and Mai's free.

Honorable mentions: Pogorilaya's determination to finish the program with a 2a-half loop-3sal!
Oh and I totally forgot about Boyang! Both of his programs make my list too.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Yuzuru Hanyu's SP and FS

Misha Ge's FS

Sui/Han's FS

Savchenko/Massot's FS

Virtue/Moir's SD

....and many many more. But I stick to five this time :)

Danibellerika

Medalist
1) Yuzuru Everything. The heart attack he gave me after the SP made the victory all the sweeter and more appreciated. I am still riding the high and I'll never forget the experience. It's really special to see your favorite realize their potential before your very eyes.

2) Shoma everything. Even in the practices he seemed cool as a cucumber, lots of laughs and being carefree. So glad he could walk away from this worlds with a smile as opposed to tears like last year. And his strategy to compete so much proved to be a genius one!

3) Sui/Han everything. What a way to overcome adversity and end up on top! Love them! I was pulled into a spell with them every time they took the ice.

4) Jason Brown everything. That half biellmann he did on my section of the rink was just mesmerizing. And he is sooo sweet to his fans. I'm glad he did so well to not have a quad.

5) Ladies redemption - specifically Mai Mihara and Karen Chen.

Last edited:

tureis

On the Ice
My top 5 are all based on live impressions at the arena. :)

1. Javi's SP

It was absolutely magical! There is no better program to illustrate why he is my favorite skater. For me it's all about the performance, that inexplicable connection I feel drawing me in as if I was right there on the ice, even though I'm sitting 15 rows above. That harmony of motion and music. The tiniest movement of the hands. I know, his skating skills, his edges, there was a messy spin in there, and so on. Well, when somebody can perform like this, I simply don't care. I would suffer through that terrible FS all over again just to witness this marvelous thing live one more time.

2. Misha Ge's FS

I started crying as he launched himself into the step sequence and simply couldn't stop until the next skater, Brezina, who I actually really like and would otherwise certainly pay 100% attention to, was already halfway through his program. The two ladies around me did the exact same thing. Enough said.

3. Carolina's gala program

The arena was so silent, you could hear a chair creaking on the opposite side. It felt like a piece of art. I'm thoroughly uninterested by most gala programs, and I'm sure this is the very first one I would ever mention among my top 5 moments from any event.

4. Sui/Han winning gold

I simply cannot comprehend how these two tiny warrior rulers of the figure skating universe can do what they do with such explosiveness, power, length, height, and at the same time be so exquisite, graceful and gentle. I adored both of their programs.

5. The audience going wild in support for Anna Pogorilaya as she was trying to put on a brave smile in the K&C after her FS. The absolute highlight moment of a wonderfully supportive audience. It was simultaneously heartbreaking and uplifting.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
1. Sui & Han's everything - Cong's facial expression at the end of the FS made me burst into tears.

2. Savchenko & Massot FS - the performance was so magical

3. Javier SP

4. Patrick Chan SP

5. Karen Chen SP

Honorable mention: The North Korean pair was awesome! I hope to see them more and often.
Denis Ten's new SP costume and blazing stsq.
Boyang Jin's Spiderman
Wakaba Higuchi SP and Zijun Li FS

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
These were my first Worlds live in the audience and I was sitting 3 rows above the ice, so Poohs were swooshing by my ears from all the Japanese spectators sitting around me every time Yuzu was on ice... There were so many things that were great, like the rather amazing first day with men's SP and pairs SP, the audience numbers and support for all the skaters, seeing almost all my FS friends during the week, the arena services - almost - functioning even with capacity crowd, etc. But the performances on ice? In no particular order, and could be that I cannot quite limit myself to 5:

Misha Ge SP and FS - although he has to really concentrate on the technical stuff for most of the time, the finished movement is there all the time. When he got to let go and rip in the step and choreo sequences, it happened in perfect unison with the music. Not very many skaters are able to change the intensity of their movement with such ease and effect! Plus the possible last comp ever emotion was all there to make the interpretation even stronger...

Deniss Vasiljevs SP and FS - my boy Deniss did it again, SBs for both programs in the biggest comp of the season. The SP was so excellent with the controlled abandon of movement that matched the music perfectly! (I hope he gets the quad(s) going soon enough, though.)

Carolina Kostner FS - an amazingly bold choice of music, but performance qualities to match it. The EX was also rather wonderful!

Evgenia Medvedeva SP, but espcially FS - I've seen her live 4 times this season, and this was the most intense and emotional FS from her yet. Love the technical rock solidness, the stories in the programs.

Savhchenko/Massot SP and FS - their ability to create an atmosphere is dumbfounding. Pairs feel often to me just movement executed to music, but these two really also perform and interpret.

Marchei/Hotarek SP and FS - feisty, sassy, fun! Their tech content is not quite up there, but they sure know how to sell a program!

Gilles/Poirier SP and FS - love the complete program idea in both, from first moment on ice to the last. Love particularly the tango which is really tango made for ice and not just putting on the some of the moves every now and then and doing standard ice dance in between.

Although the order was supposed to be not particular, I confess, there was one above everything else: The Perfect Malagueña by the one and only Javier Fernández. That 2 min 50 s was worth the ticket price on its own. Tureis took the words right out of my mouth above ^^ and I add a couple of words from evergreen (as said after the event): the epitome of masculine elegance. (And Touch of Evil as the EX made me almost equally delirious.)

Bubbling under: Papadakis & Cizeron FS, Canadians in ladies FS, Mai Mihara FS, Jason Brown FS, Patrick Chan SP.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My top faves

1st. Evegenia's fs- wow. I am not a fan of the program but I can look past my favorite or preferred music and wow - technically and well performed.

2nd Virtue and Moir's SD - a master piece. You don't need high brow classical to do a masterpiece. VEry well done and performed.

3rd Hanyu's fs - power, precision and some passion. Great job.

4th Patrick Chan fs - sublime even with errors. His SKATING is unparalleled beauty forget the jumps and spins

5th Sui and Han LP - another magical pair team is borne.

Honorable Mention: P/C free dance; Shoma Uno both programs, Osmond and Daleman winning silver and bronze - just amazing, S and M great power; they might win OGM next year.

bobbob

Medalist
MINE:
1. Yuzu's FS
2. Sui/Han SP
3. Savchenko/Massot FS
4. Sui/Han FS
5. Virtue/Moir SD
HM. Evgenia SP/FS, Patrick Chan SP, Javi SP

Rissa

Record Breaker
1. Yuzu FS
2. Sui/Han SP
3. Savachenko/Massot FS
4. Katelyn SP
5. Boyang SP

HM: Yuzu SP, Anna's SP, BoyangJavi's SP, Gilles/Poirer SD, Yu/Zhang FS and SP, Ashley SP, Caro SP, Elizabet FS,

Ohhh, and big kudos to Capellini/Lanotte Ex and Yuzy Ex

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I know that Worlds always has its share of drama, but for me, this Worlds especially had more extreme lows (e.g., Anna FS, Madison/Zach FD) and extreme highs than others in recent memory (or maybe I'm just paying more attention now :)). My favorites (meaning the ones that most moved me or will stay with me later) include (in no order):

Karen both programs (SP was technically cleaner but so excited her FS was enough to help US qualify three OG spots)
Sui/Han both programs
Jason both programs (same as Karen)
Shoma both programs
Kaetlyn SP

HM: Yuzuru FS, Piper/Paul both programs, Anna/Luca FD, Boyang SP, Misha Ge FS, Javi SP, Patrick FS (I wanted so much to see him skate this gorgeous program cleanly, but loved it despite the errors).

Last edited:

Ice Diva

On the Ice
V/M sensational SD & beautiful FD - their comeback was amazing
P/C's fun SD & glorious FD
H/D - rising to 3rd in the SD - love their skating & programs
Sui/Han's short & finally winning the gold
Kaetlyn Osmond's finally reaching her potential
Yuzuru finally having a fall-free long program; + Chan's short skate

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice