ISU World Team Trophy 2017 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

ISU World Team Trophy 2017

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Didn't see anyone post this, but official entries are up: http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...nce/results/201617/isu-world-team-trophy-2017

Interesting, both S/H and Y/Z aren't going, as well as V/M and P/C. That kind of dulls the excitement for me a little to be honest :(

And why why why are D/R going? They should really take the time to rest instead of overdoing it; they can prove themselves again when they are healthy. Same with T/M.

what D/R said in interview after worlds is that they really wanted to go if healthy. So, as their status and world standing indicates, they are Canada's pick... of course, if they are not healthy enough to skate, they will simply withdraw I would expect.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the case of Cain & LeDuc, they were in the unusual position of being flown to Helsinki to be on standby until the last possible moment. I had been thinking it was because of Alexa (because she did not practice the first day; i think something was going on with her that hasn't been reported), but perhaps Haven also was being monitored.

Also, it makes sense to give them international exposure over Castelli/Tran, since C/T can't go to the Olympics. If this was 2015 and not 2017, perhaps the decision would have been different.

USFSA is famous for boneheaded decisions, but I think they actually got this one right.

The top 2 USA pairs have some sort of injury going, and one of them performed very poorly at Worlds while the other was substandard relative to ability.

A year out, there is no guarantee that either of those teams will be good for the Olympics, and sending an eligible new pairing with great promise seems like a sensible thing to do.

blackey

On the Ice
I'm kind upset for v/m not going :(
I didn't really expect them to go anyway but still, WTT is like the last chance for them to skate latch clean...

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I didn't really expect them to go anyway but still, WTT is like the last chance for them to skate latch clean...

W/P would have to be okay with not going, since they are first in world standings and were top ten at Worlds and are thus technically required to go. I'd have loved to see Latch again, but it doesn't surprise me that W/P would want to go.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

i saw a pretty good latch at nationals... did they mess up there?? i don't remember honestly

blackey

On the Ice
i saw a pretty good latch at nationals... did they mess up there?? i don't remember honestly

no but I think the program grew much more after nationals, just too bad we can't see them skate that program to its full potential.

da96103

Record Breaker
How did Kaetlyn Osmond not forced to go? She must be top rated Canadian ladies and also top ten at worlds.

The selection criteria is very confusing.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^ Perhaps knowing her schedule with SOI after WTT and perhaps needing to give her body a rest (with past ankle and all), they probably gave her the choice, knowing that Alaine was there if need be, me thinks.

The story of Kaetlyn & Gabby has blown up in Canada, in the news, press, sponsors and all. Now that the NHL (hockey) has said no to professional players being able to go to the Olympics, suddenly advertisers here are looking for an alternative story and figure skating is all of a sudden, top of the list. The more they can rest now in a pre-Olympic year, the better.

Last edited:

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
As a rule, all participants are required to do both short and free programs. A first place finish earns 12 points, a second place earns 11 points, and a last place earns 7 points for pairs and ice dance.

Last edited:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I know D/R have injury problems, and they are not very young...but I don't understand, the next to follow is I/M? I love S/B, but I doubt they are better than I/M at this time. Maybe it is just a matter of who needs more money.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I know D/R have injury problems, and they are not very young...but I don't understand, the next to follow is I/M? I love S/B, but I doubt they are better than I/M at this time. Maybe it is just a matter of who needs more money.

There is no actual 'rule' about who the federation must ask second, only about who they must ask first. Once D/R withdrew they could have asked I/M, S/B or even MT/M for all anyone could do about it, for any reason or for no reason. Overall I wouldn't read too much into this, it's possible they asked I/M first, it's possible they view S/B as more of an investment for the future, it's possible S/B realllllly wanted to go and made that known to the Fed... we really have no way of knowing.