ISU World Team Trophy 2017 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

ISU World Team Trophy 2017

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I also have the feeling this competition is about developing fs in (big) countries with strong federations. The podium is always USA, Canada, Japan or Russia in some order. It's not too fair for small federations, isn't it?

Maybe they should/could have a wildcard federation? A lower ranked one who certainly wouldn't medal but could benefit from participation and exposure? Or even a international federation composed of the best skaters from countries that don't have their own team?

Misha Ge was proposing something like this this last season.

If we made an "international fed" with best skaters avaliable who are not in the 6 teams...
Lets see, we would have somethin like...

Ladies: Elizabet Tursynbaeva and Caro Kostner
Men: Javier and Denis Ten
Pairs: Aliona and Bruno
Dance: Anna and Luca

Which is actually quite a competitive team =D It probably wouldnt podium, but wouldnt come last either.

Do a unaligned team for fun. I think it is a great idea and makes a lot of sense. Maybe not for the Olympics, but for WTT... I really think they should do something like this.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I agree with Misha then.

They could invite random 3-4 middle/smaller federations each time, like Italy, Germany, Korea or Czech Republic, and then the next time, some other countries. An united team would be difficult to organize because of logistics or sharing costs...

The purpose of WTT is to develop fs in all disciplines of a country, so why would ISU only want to improve fs in countries with strong federations /strong teams?

Nathan13

Medalist
This is why Team Challenge Cup was fun last year. Elizabet, Denis, Cappellini/Lanotte, Della Monica/Guarise, Coomes/Buckland, Kim/Minov, and Roberta Rodeghiero all had a chance to do a team event.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There is a provision for including one lady, one man, one pair, and one ice dance couple from non-participating countries in the exhibition. I don't know if they actually do that.

It would be much more fun to have one multi-national team.

Andrea82

Medalist
ISU has updated with some more captains listed. Ekaterina Bobrova for Russia and Yang Jin for China. Kaitlyn Weaver for Canada and Kana Muramoto for Japan were already known.

moriel

Record Breaker
Men: Javier Fernandez and Alexei Bychenko.
World Standing points are granted and calculated only for the current season and only for the events described as below in paragraph 2.e). (From WTT 2017 announcement, page 2).

Good team anyways =D
(since i am a dummy, i just went through the highest scores really)

jaylee

Medalist
I also have the feeling this competition is about developing fs in (big) countries with strong federations. The podium is always USA, Canada, Japan or Russia in some order. It's not too fair for small federations, isn't it?

It's also doubly weighted towards countries with strengths in the single disciplines, since two singles skaters compete in both men's and ladies. That majorly benefits Japan, since they are so weak in ice dance and pairs but strong in singles.

The structure of this event should match the Olympic team event, and the hosting should rotate outside of Japan. It's a cheesefest otherwise, and it would be totally fine as a cheesefest, but it shouldn't be an ISU event. There were a lot of cheesefests back in the day in the US, but no top skaters were ever bound to go by ISU rules.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
It's also doubly weighted towards countries with strengths in the single disciplines, since two singles skaters compete in both men's and ladies. That majorly benefits Japan, since they are so weak in ice dance and pairs but strong in singles.

The structure of this event should match the Olympic team event, and the hosting should rotate outside of Japan. It's a cheesefest otherwise, and it would be totally fine as a cheesefest, but it shouldn't be an ISU event. There were a lot of cheesefests back in the day in the US, but no top skaters were ever bound to go by ISU rules.

Exactly. And I think it is a bit debatable that there is Team Event at the Olympics but there are only few competitions between two Olympic Games where figure skating teams can compete against each other.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Whatever the merits of the team composition or where it's held (good points)....

I do want to say that I am *so* over any skater with the attitude, oh it's a cheesefest, I'm a serious competitor, I'm a big deal skater, I shouldn't be forced to go, ya dee ya dee, can't be bothered to come. :disapp:

Time for these skaters to grow up. I don't care if you've won every gold medal in every comp in the past four years. Get over your own sweet self, get your skates and butt in gear, and show up happy that people want to see you skate.

/rant off

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
OK, but the event is worth a lot of money. I don't see any harm--if top athletes do not need the money and would prefer to get a jump start on the Olympic season and/or get a break before plowing hardcore into the Olympic season--in letting someone else who needs the funding take the opportunity. My guess is that if WTT was a huge deal to the French federation, then P&C would be here. My other guess is that P&C medaling individually is a LOT more important to France than a distant shot at a bronze medal at WTT.

As fans, of course we want to see the best. But we might remember that this event may help fund athletes we do wish to see continue.

The other reality is that many of the top athletes have been working a longer season than those who didn't tour. They did the GP. They did the GPF. They did Nationals, Euros, & 4CCs. They toured last summer in order to help fund this season. And most did a senior B or two also. So--yeah--they've been going pretty much straight for a good long while now. If someone else wants to be here (I would guess Lauriault & Le Gac are thrilled with the opportunity); then I just hope they have a great time.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I hope the gala will be better than the one at worlds... and that we see Karen Chen ' s EX.

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
OK, but the event is worth a lot of money. I don't see any harm--if top athletes do not need the money and would prefer to get a jump start on the Olympic season and/or get a break before plowing hardcore into the Olympic season--in letting someone else who needs the funding take the opportunity. My guess is that if WTT was a huge deal to the French federation, then P&C would be here. My other guess is that P&C medaling individually is a LOT more important to France than a distant shot at a bronze medal at WTT.

As fans, of course we want to see the best. But we might remember that this event may help fund athletes we do wish to see continue.

The other reality is that many of the top athletes have been working a longer season than those who didn't tour. They did the GP. They did the GPF. They did Nationals, Euros, & 4CCs. They toured last summer in order to help fund this season. And most did a senior B or two also. So--yeah--they've been going pretty much straight for a good long while now. If someone else wants to be here (I would guess Lauriault & Le Gac are thrilled with the opportunity); then I just hope they have a great time.

Agreed.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I agree that the "top skaters" would not be able to bow out without the aid and comfort of their fed, and that the fed has made a calculation as to what is more important. That doesn't mean I agree with the fed either, although I completely understand their calculation. :biggrin:

But I am very happy that lesser ranked skaters also have a chance to come in and show their stuff; just like when Nathan was injured and couldn't do Worlds in 2016, Grant came in and had the SOHL. :agree: So I do hope those other skaters slay.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
What exactly is a Team Captain's role in WTT? Is it just a title in name or do they have specific responsibilities?

asiacheetah

On the Ice
I bought the Men FS ticket months ago before the teams were ever announced purely with the hope of seeing Yuzu's Hope and Legacy program. Now that the teams were announced, I splurged and bought the very last ticket for the Men SP. My first FS competition and I'm so excited. Hopefully my ticket gets to me on time.

I'm selling my Team Trophy SP Day 1 ticket. I was delirious from travelling and looking on my cell in the train and misread the cost. It's insane. Like my mind deleted a digit insane. I can't afford it.

If anyone's interested, it's Arena SS ticket (meaning unobstructed rink side seating). I physically live 1 hour away from Tokyo so I will hand deliver the ticket to avoid the whole shipping fiasco. PM me if you're interested, but I'll let you know straight up it's pricey.

TMC

Record Breaker
I'm selling my Team Trophy SP Day 1 ticket. I was delirious from travelling and looking on my cell in the train and misread the cost. It's insane. Like my mind deleted a digit insane. I can't afford it.

If anyone's interested, it's Arena SS ticket (meaning unobstructed rink side seating). I physically live 1 hour away from Tokyo so I will hand deliver the ticket to avoid the whole shipping fiasco. PM me if you're interested, but I'll let you know straight up it's pricey.

WHAT

I just had a look at the prices and nearly fainted. FS must be extremely popular in Japan, even moreso than I imagined!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
What exactly is a Team Captain's role in WTT? Is it just a title in name or do they have specific responsibilities?

I believe it is more like a title than any specific responsibility, other than "Head Cheerleader".