Don't hire the people who filmed this event | Golden Skate

Don't hire the people who filmed this event

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
They did an awful job. Terrible shot choices and editing during the performances (especially going to a far wide shot for no reason so often!!) and even a basic inability to keep the skaters in frame with the camera on many occasions. One of the worst filming jobs I've ever seen for a World Championships. Never again!!

blackey

On the Ice
haha totally agree with you. The ceiling camera was even worse than the awkward close-up at 4cc.
I think the camera men at NHK was the best this season.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think this is something every person can agree on. Did they know people like to see the skaters?

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
The camera work did my head in big time! How dare they zoomed out some fantastic jumping and spinning moments! :scowl:

How hard is it to keep a full body focus on a skater at all times? I don't really care for sky cam too...

rain

Record Breaker
They did an awful job. Terrible shot choices and editing during the performances (especially going to a far wide shot for no reason so often!!) and even a basic inability to keep the skaters in frame with the camera on many occasions. One of the worst filming jobs I've ever seen for a World Championships. Never again!!

I couldn't believe my eyes when they kept losing the skaters on the ice. And the skycam is horrible. At least there weren't as many weird close-ups as they had at 4CC. I can only imagine the camera folks in Helsinki are not used to filming figure skating? Otherwise, I got nothing.

sublimeskating

Crouching Dreamer, Hidden Badass
On the Ice
this is the WORST camerawork in the history of broadcast!!!

i HATE how they pull out into long distance shots when the skaters are doing something awesome!!!

wt.f i wanna see the skaters and not the blank ice of the arena gdi

the camera people of this event are the worst idiots ever

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well in general this season has had many terrible camera works... :drama: it is not like CoC, GPF and 4CC were better :slink:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Send a feedback. I sometimes took a look to the cube and thought many times thank god I am there. I am now watching men before going to work (National TV showed all) and I was wondering did they forgot this is not an Ice Hockey game. There is no need to see the whole Arena during a skate. There were no other skaters offside.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
this is the WORST camerawork in the history of broadcast!!!

i HATE how they pull out into long distance shots when the skaters are doing something awesome!!!

wt.f i wanna see the skaters and not the blank ice of the arena gdi

the camera people of this event are the worst idiots ever

Dont sugar coat it...tell us how you really feel!:laugh:

I am glad this was brought up. I have no idea who thought we wanted to see the view from the top of the nose bleeds but the main problem was the video editor that had no idea how to chose the right camera for the feed...I am not saying this is easy to do but this was WORLDS. They could pick the same incompetent crew to do the Olys.....but hopefully not.
And this isnt the first time we have seen this type of shoddy work this season, as Meoina points out......
Imagine what would happen if this kind of crap was done at a football or basketball game.....

reneerose

Final Flight
Who actually hires the camera team? The ISU? Because that feed goes out to so many worldwide networks, they can't actually control everything at the network level...I totally hated the Skycam cutting away to the ceiling overhead each time there were side by side elements or spins....this isn't a Busby Berkeley movie....save that for synchronized swimming...I hope the ISU knows that this doesn't help the sport when you can't see it.... :laugh:

yuzushenko

On the Ice
i liked it more than 4cc, cuz even if they went to a far-shot, at least they kept the skates/feet in the frame. that's my biggest pet peeve, when you can't even put the skates in the shot. what is the point ! we can't see the footwork or the jumping edge/landing then what is the point!!

rain

Record Breaker
i liked it more than 4cc, cuz even if they went to a far-shot, at least they kept the skates/feet in the frame. that's my biggest pet peeve, when you can't even put the skates in the shot. what is the point ! we can't see the footwork or the jumping edge/landing then what is the point!!

Oh, and don't forget at 4CC when they would show just one partner doing the side by side jumps during the pairs event, leaving the viewer with absolutely no idea if the element was actually a success or not...

But yeah, I don't want to watch skating from the ceiling — the view is almost as bad.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
4CC was truly bad. Horrifyingly bad. What if they use the same crew next February? Can you imagine? :eekn:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Add to the complaints about the camera work:
1. The multiple times the camera "lost" the skaters behind a blue column, especially at the left side of the screen.
2. That bizarre wire that kept floating across the screen.

TMC

Record Breaker
I really do not get how they can be so useless at this? Surely it's not impossible to at least keep the skaters in frame at all times?

Every event I think maybe now they have taken the inevitable negative feedback into consideration and learned from their mistakes, and every time it's worse.

I don't understand it. If I had to direct/shoot a figure skating competition and knew nothing about the sport, I'd prepare by finding out what the audience wants to see. I mean if necessary pick up the freaking phone and call your country's FS fed president or something. But even if you don't understand (or think that it's important) that skates need to be visible at all times (apart from the very beginning and end maybe), if you can't even keep the skater in frame then you have no business doing this job. This is just unacceptable.

Eclair

Medalist
Contrary to many I thought this was WAY better than 4cc and a HUGE step up! It's still annoying but at least we get to see the whole body for the most time! 4cc was worse than this by A LOT.

I even think, they should hire the same people again if there's another figure skating event in Finland, because Figure skating is very hard for cameramen to capture and the more experience they get, the better.

moriel

Record Breaker
I think they should have 2-3 people who actually CAN DO THE JOB on the list, and just hire them at all the major competitions (GPF, Euros, 4cc, Worlds).

sarama

Medalist
Add to the complaints about the camera work:
1. The multiple times the camera "lost" the skaters behind a blue column, especially at the left side of the screen.
2. That bizarre wire that kept floating across the screen.

The wire was a microphone..and I'm sure they could have found a less disturbing microphone