Mao Asada announces retirement | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada announces retirement

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
It's probably because Japan could not secure the three slots for the next Olympics at the world championships. Aside from Miyahara, who has a reserved spot, there is one more person who can go to Pyeongchang. I thought it would be either Mao Asada or Marin Honda.

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I have been crying a lot and I am heartbroken over this. Mao is the person that i admire the most and she has been a constant in my life for so many years growing up. I am just heartbroken she won't compete again. But i will be happy for her in a bit. She has other things to do with her life and other goals to chase.

jaylee

Medalist
It's probably because Japan could not secure the three slots for the next Olympics at the world championships. Aside from Miyahara, who has a reserved spot, there is one more person who can go to Pyeongchang. I thought it would be either Mao Asada or Marin Honda.

If this was a factor in her decision, I consider it very classy of Mao Asada to retire so as to give other skaters a better chance, when she was under no obligation to do so.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I would probably take me weeks to write down my feelings properly about Mao and her career, but I just want to say, thank you Mao for giving me the privilege to fall in love with your skating. I hope that whatever the future has in store for her, that she will be happy and healthy.

Now, to find a corner to weep quietly in...

amc987

On the Ice
Mao is an extraordinary skater. I understand why she wants to retire, but I'll miss watching her compete. Wishing her all the best in future!

Nika09

On the Ice
It's more sad than unexpected...
Maybe with students somewhen? Just best wishes for you!!

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
She will be missed. I was not ready to hear about this, but I understand her decision and support her.
I want to say thank you to this great skater for all the emotions she has given me through all these years, and for all the beautiful skating.
I will be forever thankful to her. To her and TAT. To her and Sato. To her and the drama. To her and the 3 Axels. To her and her Step Sequences.
Thank you Mao!! :thank:

marlet

Rinkside
Best wishes to Mao, what a fighter, you're such an inspiration, hope you will stay healthy and happy!!:)

liv

Record Breaker
She gave a lot to the sport and so many others have already written about her wonderful artistic qualities, so I will only talk about her resurrecting the 3A that very few women are capable of doing despite it being introduced almost 30 years ago... she was fearless and showed the up and coming youngsters that it is possible to do it, when so many didnt dare train it, let alone put it into a program. It is a jump women can do and we have seen the retirement of one of the few with that ability. I hope a few youngsters come along and finally make this jump mainstream.... if they do, you know it will be partly Mao's influence because very few young skaters know the names Midori and Tonya anymore....

Hope she enjoys her future. She will be missed.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
She gave a lot to the sport and so many others have already written about her wonderful artistic qualities, so I will only talk about her resurrecting the 3A that very few women are capable of doing despite it being introduced almost 30 years ago... she was fearless and showed the up and coming youngsters that it is possible to do it, when so many didnt dare train it, let alone put it into a program. It is a jump women can do and we have seen the retirement of one of the few with that ability. I hope a few youngsters come along and finally make this jump mainstream.... if they do, you know it will be partly Mao's influence because very few young skaters know the names Midori and Tonya anymore....

Hope she enjoys her future. She will be missed.

There's a whole group of young Japanese girls trying 3A right now. One of them Rika Kihira already executed clean ones in competiton.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I accept her decision, but it makes me very sad. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to battle serious injuries while also needing to improve the consistency of her technical content to keep up with the top ladies. I had hoped that, somehow, she could regain her form and produce the quality she showed at the Japan Open less than two years ago. She is a great champion and fully deserving of a OGM; it's a pity that Olympic glory won't happen.

TheCzar

On the Ice
A tabulated (Wiki) rundown of Mao's illustrious achievements in the sport. Somehow, if you have been a fan all this time- you know that seeing it in writing can never be the same as watching it happen on the ice.

Record scores:

Former world record holder for the ladies' short program score (78.66), set at the 2014 World Championships on 27 March 2014.[86] Record was broken in 2016 during the Grand Prix Final by Evegenia Medvedeva.
Second woman to score over 200 points for the total score under the ISU Judging System.
Former world record holder for the ladies' free skating score (133.13), set at the 2007 World Championships on 24 March 2007.[25] Record was broken eight months later on 24 November 2007 by Kim Yuna (South Korea).[33]
Former world record holder for the ladies' combined total score (199.52), set at the 2006 NHK Trophy on 2 December 2006.[25] Record was broken two years later on 28 March 2009 by Kim Yuna (South Korea).[31]
Former world record holder for the junior ladies' free skating score (119.13), set at the 2005 World Junior Championships on 3 March 2005. Record was broken seven years later on 3 March 2012 by Yulia Lipnitskaya (Russia).[27]
Former world record holder for the junior ladies' combined total score (179.24), set at the 2005 World Junior Championships on 3 March 2005. Record was broken seven years later on 3 March 2012 by Yulia Lipnitskaya (Russia).[27]
Triple axel:

Both the youngest (14 years old) and the oldest (25 years old) woman to land a triple axel in international competition.
Fifth woman to land the triple axel jump in international competition (2004-05 Junior Grand Prix Final).
First junior girl to land the triple axel jump in international competition (2004-05 Junior Grand Prix Final).
First woman to land the triple axel jump at the World Junior Championships.
First woman to land three triple axel jumps in one competition (2010 Winter Olympics).[87]
First woman to land a triple axel in the short program at the Winter Olympics.[88][89]
First woman to land two triple axel jumps in the same program (2008–09 Grand Prix Final).[citation needed]
Other:

First figure skater in a singles discipline from Asia to win multiple world championships.
First singles figure skater to win all seven of the current events on the Grand Prix circuit.[90]
First Japanese figure skater in any discipline to win multiple world championships.
First and, currently, only woman to complete two consecutive Grand Prix seasons undefeated.[citation needed]
Holds 15 Grand Prix series titles - the most among active singles skaters[14] and third all-time behind Evgeni Plushenko and Irina Slutskaya.
Tied with Irina Slutskaya for the most Grand Prix Final titles won by a woman.
Tied with Fumie Suguri for the most Four Continents Championships titles won by a woman.

Never forget :points: :yes2:

icybear

Medalist
I guess she planned to retire after Olympics 2018 but there's no point of doing that since she won't be on the team.

liv

Record Breaker
There's a whole group of young Japanese girls trying 3A right now. One of them Rika Kihira already executed clean ones in competiton.

Yes, iknow, I just didnt want to add more to my message, lol. Mao's influence, I am sure... and may it continue. I will take beautiful 3As over 333 anyday.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I guess she planned to retire after Olympics 2018 but there's no point of doing that since she won't be on the team.

Yeah, you have to think the timing of the announcement probably had a bit to do with the results of Worlds. The sport is punishing on the body and the skaters probably need to compare the chances of achieving their goals against whether it's worth it to train another year to maintain competitive form. Japan is like Russia, in which one great performance isn't going to get you on the Olympic team. She would have to have a full season of strong performances to make it, and she may not have the desire to train that hard anymore.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
So sad to read it, and yet not completely unexpected. I will miss Mao in competitions so much. No other female skater, past or present, charmed me with her performances the way she did. :cry: Best of luck in all you do from now on, Mao, thank you for all those wonderful programs and your artistry!
I so hope I get to see her participating in a show one day, if she decides to do them.