Mao Asada announces retirement | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada announces retirement

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
And Figure Skating loses another one of its shining treasures....Regardless of what happened to her jumps, she was always so beautiful to watch on the ice. I'm so happy I got to see her in Boston and it's something I hold very dear to me. Her legacy will live on forever in the hearts of many and her name will be remembered as a legend in this sport.

Thank you Mao for all you have given to your fans and to this sport. I wish you nothing but happiness.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is sad, but unfortunately, Mao needs to make way for a new generation of skaters. She will always be remembered as one of the most ambitious technicians and pushing the technical side of the sport.

I also love how she wasn't just a technical skater and over the years we truly saw her artistry blossom and she was more than just a 3A.

Her Sochi FS is one of the best performances/comebacks in all of sport. :clap:

All the best to her!!!

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
Here's a list:

1. GPF 2005 - Nutcracker FS
  2. W 2007 - Czardas FS
  3. OGM 2010 - Masquerade SP
  4. W 2010 - Bells of Moscow FS
  5. Japan Nationals 2011 - Liebestraum FS
  6. 4CC 2013 - Swan Lake FS
  7. OGM 2014 - Rach 2 FS
  8. OGM 2014 - "Smile" EX
  9. W 2014 - Chopin SP
  10. W 2016 - Madame Butterfly FS
  11. W 2016 - "Mary Poppins" EX

Thanks for sharing. I began following figure skating in 2014, so I haven't seen all of these.

Warwick360

Medalist
:eekn::eekn::eekn::eekn::eekn::eekn::eekn::eekn:

NO WAY!!!!! I had been constantly checking the forum due to my free time and I can't believe I missed this. :jaw:

Anyways, she has nothing else to prove. And even if she came back, I hardly think judges would be kind on her with the PCS like they are with some other skaters these days. Hope she enjoys a great post-competitive career.

Last edited:

Lambari

Final Flight
My most natural reaction to programs that I deeply admire is to just be overjoyed but Mao's most emotional skates were the few ones that touched me deeply and made me shed tears.

I hope that you'll achieve all of your new goals outside of your skating career and, If am not being greedy, that we'll be able to see you in many ice shows for the next few years.

I have nothing else to say other than I'll miss you Mao, always.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I've been utterly smitten with her Ritual Fire Dance programs this season. I was hoping to see more of them. It's been an absolute honor to see her compete for two more seasons after Sochi. She has gifted us with more beautiful performances for which I am grateful. But I'm heartbroken I never got to see her live. She has taught me to never give up and never regret my choices. Mao-chan, otsukaresama.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Oh Mao! I've said that many times before in delight and amazement watching many special skates from her, and it was also my reaction upon learning of her retirement, not entirely unexpected true but still a shock.

Among her many remarkable performances, two stand out for me, and in the words of Scott Hamilton, tell you everything you need to know about her: the oft mentioned historic free program at Sochi where she magnificently rebounded from a disastrous short that had crushed her Olympic medal hopes and her free program when she won Worlds for the first time in 2008, recovering from a horrific fall from a triple axel attempt early in the program and performing the rest of the program as if the fall hadn't happened. She revealed that at Sochi she asked her dearly departed mother whether the latter was proud of her. I am sure she is, and so are we her fans at the completion of a competitive career that saw the journey of a child prodigy to one of the legends of the sport. Wishing Mao a happy and fulfilling life after competitive figure skating.

Last edited:

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
So it was never about the joy of skating after all. It was about winning. And obviously, she can't do that anymore.

Not sure what she does from here. I don't think that she would be a good fit as a commentator…but, of course, that hasn't stopped Daisuke Takahashi from trying.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
:hopelessness:
Nothing to say except thank you Mao and wish her every happiness.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Her Programs this year were her most ambitious and artistic, in my opinion, so far. She never stopped challenging herself. I'm excited to see what new EX programs she'll show us, because --ICE SHOWS AWAIT! There will be good footage and camera work because she'll do them in Japan! :love: -and all over the world too.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
If there's a skater closest to perfection, it's Mao Asada. Thank you for gracing the figure skating world with your presence, mao-chan.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I already miss her.

Her programs this season were, I think, my absolute favorites across the entire field. Definitely my favorite combination of SP+FS for any skater. I feel so lucky that I got to see her at Skate America, even if she wasn't at her best.

Thank you, Mao!

beki

Medalist
While I don't know whether she could have come close to her previous form, I am sure that with only two Olympic spots for Japan she would never want to deprive one of the younger ladies of their chance to shine. Grace is her overriding characteristic.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
So it was never about the joy of skating after all. It was about winning.

Is it ever about the joy of skating, really? Maybe Witt competing in 1994, but otherwise I don't think it's a coincidence that most top competitors retire within a year of the Olympics, if not right after. With Mao, her injury did not allow her to perform anything close to her peak level this season and maybe she thinks the ailment will prevent her from getting back to form.

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
For me she is a legend with nothing more to prove. I've truly admired your athleticism and artistry, Mao.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
While I don't know whether she could have come close to her previous form, I am sure that with only two Olympic spots for Japan she would never want to deprive one of the younger ladies of their chance to shine. Grace is her overriding characteristic.

This makes no sense. Her presence on the Olympic Team would have "deprived one of the younger ladies of their chance to shine." regardless of whether there were 2 or 3 spots available.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Guess Mao felt it is time to hang up the skates. One of the last of the old guards gone. Mao and CaroK are the only active skaters whom I most look forward to watching the StSq and to a lesser extent Satoko Miyahara. With Mao gone and Satoko injured and CaroK only competing sparingly, it will be a tough footwork to follow. They have nothing left to prove. Good luck.