Mao Asada announces retirement | Golden Skate

Mao Asada announces retirement

sallycinnamon

Medalist
:(

Thank you for everything, Mao.

I'll miss her beautiful skating so much. I wish her good luck in her post competitive career & all the happiness in her life!

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Part of me literally just died:sad21:

I have nothing to say except a big Thank You to Mao who has brought so many beautiful moments to figure skating.

Thank you for your 3A, for you have pushed the technical boundary forward in Ladies' skating.
Thank you for your beautiful spirals, for this is what makes figure skating so stunningly beautiful and dramatic.
Thank you for your unmatched artistry, for this is so rare in today's skating world.
Thank you for your legendary steps sequence, for you are the epitome of this category.

I wish you all the best in your future.

Arigatou, Mao-chan.

gladiolusc

Medalist
Thank you, Mao, for a beautiful figure skating career that you shared with so many fans of the sport.

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/1805741.html

Her retirement statement, roughly translated:

Although it’s sudden, I, Asada Mao, have decided to end my competitive career. I think I have been able to skate for so long, and overcome so many things up until this point due to the support from many, many people. I have been able to bring my best performance and results at the World Championships in the Sochi Olympics season. Had I ended it then, I might have been wondering about returning as a competitive figure skater even now. Actually, there were many things I wouldn’t have known had I not tried to go back to competing. After I returned to competition, I wasn’t able to bring the performances and results I had hoped for, and troubling things increased. Then, after Japanese Nationals last year, the goal that had supported me until that point disappeared, and my energy to continue as a skater was gone. It was such a decision, but I have no regrets in my figure skating life. This was a big decision to me, but I think it’s still just one point in my life. I want to find new dreams and targets for the future, and keep moving forward without forgetting to smile. Everyone, thank you so much for your support until now, truly, thank you.

Original:

「突然ですが、私、浅田真央は、フィギュアスケート選手として終える決断を致しました。今まで、長くスケートが出来たのも、たくさんの事を乗り越えてこれたのも、多くの方からの支えや応援があったからだと思います。ソチオリンピックシーズンの世界選手権は最高の演技と結果で終える事ができました。その時に選手生活を終えていたら、今も選手として復帰することを望んでいたかもしれません。実際に選手としてやってみなければ分からない事もたくさんありました。復帰してからは、自分が望む演技や結果を出す事が出来ず、悩む事が多くなりました。そして、去年の全日本選手権を終えた後、それまでの自分を支えてきた目標が消え、選手として続ける自分の気力もなくなりました。このような決断になりましたが、私のフィギュアスケート人生に悔いはありません。これは、自分にとって大きな決断でしたが、人生の中の1つの通過点だと思っています。この先も新たな夢や目標を見つけて、笑顔を忘れずに、前進していきたいと思っています。皆様、今までたくさんの応援、本当にありがとうございました」

Last edited:

mary01

Final Flight
I am schocked and soo sad, Mao is the epitome of skating, to think that this season wa the last season we would see her skating, is soooo sad

mcq

Record Breaker
Mao-chan, I will miss you on the competitive ice! Such a lovely skater and a legend :)
I still remember tearing up when watching your Sochi FS, and trust me, not many skates can make me cry.

Good luck in whatever you will pursuit after your competitive career, have a flourishing and blissful life ahead! :hap10:

I hope Mao will still skate in shows though. :sad21:

I am electrified from shock. So sad to see one great figure skater retire.

Thank you so much for your contribution to the sport, Mao. Good luck on all your endeavours in the future.

Barb

Record Breaker
For me she will always be the queen. For her I became a fan of skating. For her I cried, I laughed, I got excited, I got angry, I lied at work and school to see her compete (oops), I did not sleep to watch her to compete. For her I went to see my first live competition and I almost died frozen in the attempt, Colorado winter is not a joke. I think she gave everything, and she owes nothing at all. The only thing I regret is that I feel she always gave a lot more than she got from figure skating. Now I hope that being more relaxed can continue showing her beautiful skating.

I'm sorry if I'm being very melodramatic, since I know she's not dying but this news is horrible for me.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am sad to hear this but I'm sure Mao has her reasons. Fingers crossed we'll still see her lovely skating in shows.

I am fortunate to have seen her skate last year at Worlds, glad I got to see this skating icon in person.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I can't believe it. I know the writing was probably on the wall for Mao but I was so hoping she'd make one last run for the Olympics. :cry:

Thank you Mao for your beautiful skating, the 3A and a wonderful career that I very much enjoyed following from afar. I wish for you every happiness and great success in all of your future endeavors.

Last edited:

AidenAiena

Rinkside
I'm so glad I got to see her at Skate America this season. Even if her jumps weren't completely there, I will never forget being mesmerized by her step sequences!