World Team Trophy: Predictions Game Rd. 6 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

World Team Trophy: Predictions Game Rd. 6

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just to let you know, I am going to be away at a motorbike race today.

So, it'll probably be tomorrow before I am able to make out the remaining results tables, and start scoring the Pairs and Teams (yes, I'm doing the double this week).

Depending on what time I'm home, I'll try to get the remaining results tables done tonight (I've already got the SP scores in, so it'll just be adding in the FS scores). But the scoring will be too big a job after a long day behind a hedge.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thanks clf

good news is that this is one of the shortest thread for competition predictions i have seen all year. :) only 4 pages of crystal balls..

i think i got a perfect score in dance WOOT and very imperfect scores everywhere else ;)

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Wow I managed a full prediction in Dance (easy breezy). The rest is chaos. Who would have thought Japan wins this team competition. Honestly I did not know the competition format at the time of the game. This competition was a disgrace the way was designed.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sorry for the late posting. My head has been all over the place the past few days.

Whilst I made out and posted the results tables on Saturday evening, and did the scoring yesterday morning, I forgot to put the scores into the spreadsheet and only remembered about it first thing this morning. And it was only there now that I remembered that I still had to make out a podium position post.

So my apologies.

Two sets of podium positions from me this time.

Here are the Pairs results.

Unfortunately, nobody managed to get the full score. Although Vanessa James and Morgan Cipres have been doing well this season, it was not expected that they would win both segments.

So special mention has to go to Moxiejan and StitchMonkey, who were the only players who correctly predicted that they would win overall.

The good news, though, is that everybody except for 4 players managed to get onto the podium!

So, here are the podium positions:

GOLD with 80 points: Antyv, blackey, Crossover, desertskates, fourthdimension, invisiblespiral, lady_bee, Marius, matmuh, monidi, randomfan, sallycinnamon, SnowWhite, StitchMonkey.

SILVER with 70 points: alyssamarie, apgold, AppleEmperor, CaroLiza_fan, Debrah, Floria, LadyB, Nathan13, Nika09, NoNameFace, Poice, TGee, waterfall braid, Weathergal, xibsuarz, Yatagarasu.

BRONZE with 60 points: 4everchan, HoneyGoldLev, ines42575, lovaticcanada, Moxiejan, rosacotton.

Congratulations!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

To find out more, please see the spreadsheet.

EDIT: IGNORE THE TEAM SCORES!!! I JUST REALISED THAT THE RESULTS I PUT INTO THE ALGORITHM ARE WRONG!!!

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Thank you to Sabrina for mentioning in her post that Japan won, because that is how I realised that I had put the wrong results in (the order I had put in had Canada winning).

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wow I managed a full prediction in Dance (easy breezy). The rest is chaos. Who would have thought Japan wins this team competition. Honestly I did not know the competition format at the time of the game. This competition was a disgrace the way was designed.

Oh, don't you worry. I don't like the way the WTT is designed either. The organisers have over-complicated it by having a points system (rather than the normal results based on TSS) and not giving out combined results for each category.

It is a pain in the backside for those of us that want to be able to just go to the results page and see how exactly each skater got on.

But, that is the way it is.

For the regular four categories (i.e. Ladies, Men, Pairs and Dance), results tables can be constructed so that we can run the Predictions Game to the normal rules. But since there are official results for the overall Team results, we have to follow the WTT's rules for the Team predictions.

It's not ideal, but it's the best compromise I could come up with.

Here are the amended Team results.

Japan winning the overall title was a shock. Yes, the way the overall Team results is weighted towards the Singles categories has always helped Japan to get onto the podium every WTT. But, let’s be blunt, the performance of the Singles skaters in the past 2 editions was not enough to make up for the loss of Takahashi / Tran from the team.

And for that reason, most of us did not think they would win. Except, the Singles skaters did all perform well this year. And it was enough to let them claim the title.

Only 3 players predicted that Japan would win: fourthdimension, Nathan13, and umeko_yur1tasukee. So, my hat goes off to them! :bow: :clap: :points:

Not only that, but one of them even managed to get the overall Team results completely correct! :jaw:

So, here are the podium positions:

GOLD with 90 points: fourthdimension.

SILVER with 80 points: lady_bee, matmuh, Nathan13, skatenewbie, SnowWhite, umeko_yur1tasukee, waterfall braid.

BRONZE with 70 points: CaroLiza_fan, Fish in the sea, HoneyGoldLev, ines42575, Marius, monidi, Moxiejan, sailormoon, StitchMonkey.

Congratulations!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Antyv

On the Ice

We are waiting for the results of women and dances!
If you want, I can help in quick automatic calculation of the results of predictions for the next season. In addition, I propose filling out predictions with Google forms. If you are interested, I can demonstrate how it can work.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
We are waiting for the results of women and dances!
If you want, I can help in quick automatic calculation of the results of predictions for the next season. In addition, I propose filling out predictions with Google forms. If you are interested, I can demonstrate how it can work.

The scorer that was due to score Dance at the WTT let me know last week that she was not able to do it because of schoolwork. And I said that was alright, and that I would organise something. But, I haven't had a chance yet because I was up to my eyes in other things the past couple of weeks (I haven't even seen the WTT yet! :drama: )

Don't worry, I'm nearly back on top of everything again. So, I'll send out a message to all the scorers tomorrow and try and get everything finalised.

As for next season, you will probably need to ask somebody else, because I am going to cut back on my own involvement. In previous years, I was running 2 Predictions Games per season (the Nationals Game; and the ISU Game), and I managed alright. But, this season I ran 4 Predictions Games (Junior GP Game; Senior GP Game; Nationals Game; and ISU Game), and it has proven too much.

So, next season, I would like to get back to just doing the Nationals and ISU Games. But, that can all be sorted over the summer.

In the meantime, what is remaining of this season's stuff will hopefully all be sorted in the next few days.

Sorry for the delay.

CaroLiza_fan

Antyv

On the Ice
As for next season, you will probably need to ask somebody else, because I am going to cut back on my own involvement. In previous years, I was running 2 Predictions Games per season (the Nationals Game; and the ISU Game), and I managed alright. But, this season I ran 4 Predictions Games (Junior GP Game; Senior GP Game; Nationals Game; and ISU Game), and it has proven too much.
CaroLiza_fan
I use Google forms. I can make it for you also, it's easy for me, but only for Grand Prix (Junior included) and ISU Championships.
Example.
Form for predictions
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfWFM6h6dSBrnUPKOd9nkUzEcT6AZYMUgXmiUzkBmSiE_Y3SQ/viewform
Spreadsheet for this form
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bi1_eZbtQ3_Zi4Bzvl0DGOqBbG-IUTov58WOdhvEv1M
Everyone can test them.
Example of spreadsheet for automatically calculations was given early.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'd be happy to score some stuff next season, I really enjoy doing that type of thing

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Firstly, I sent out the message this morning, and the scorer that was doing Dance during the Senior GP Game has said he will step in and do the remaining Dance scoring at the weekend when he is off work.

I'll let you know what is happening with Ladies and Men when I hear back from some more scorers.

I use Google forms. I can make it for you also, it's easy for me, but only for Grand Prix (Junior included) and ISU Championships.
Example.
Form for predictions
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfWFM6h6dSBrnUPKOd9nkUzEcT6AZYMUgXmiUzkBmSiE_Y3SQ/viewform
Spreadsheet for this form
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bi1_eZbtQ3_Zi4Bzvl0DGOqBbG-IUTov58WOdhvEv1M
Everyone can test them.
Example of spreadsheet for automatically calculations was given early.

That is actually quite cool. I didn't even know that Google could do stuff like that (I have only ever used the spreadsheets, and even then I was making the file in Excel and then just importing it to Google).

Just shows how clueless I am about a lot of things nowadays... :slink:

This does seem a very easy system to use. And I love the way that everything is automatically logged in the spreadsheet, with the time and everything on display.

But, the drawback is that I can see it being abused. For example, I was able to put in fake predictions using a different username. YOUR username, in fact.

I also put in a second prediction using my own username, which I suppose would be the equivalent of editing your prediction.

My fourth attempt (using a completely made up username) was a test to see if it was possible to put in the same skater for multiple positions. It was, but I suppose the same thing could happen with the current system.

My main concern, though, is what happens if a skater withdraws? Does this system allow for teams bringing into the competition any of their substitutes (eg. with Rika replacing Satoko at Worlds)? Or for alternates if a skater withdraws after the predictions are made?

Just one more thing. If this was to be used, would it be possible to have the names down the side and the positions along the top?

When I tried it out there now using the predictions I used for the WTT, it was a nuisance having to scroll back and forth across the screen trying to find everybody. It would be much easier to use if you were just scrolling down a list of names, and putting your selection next to it.

I'm just thinking about what it would be like if you were predicting on competitions that have a much larger entry than the WTT, such as Worlds or Euros (which each have 36 entries), or Junior GP's (which appears to have no limit to number of entries).

Thank you for showing me that this is possible. It has really opened my eyes.

:bow: :clap: :points:

CaroLiza_fan

Antyv

On the Ice
But, the drawback is that I can see it being abused. For example, I was able to put in fake predictions using a different username. YOUR username, in fact.
Every user confirms on the goldenskate forum that he gave a prediction in the specified date and time.
I also put in a second prediction using my own username, which I suppose would be the equivalent of editing your prediction.
Yes, I think so. The last given prediction is taken into game.
My fourth attempt (using a completely made up username) was a test to see if it was possible to put in the same skater for multiple positions. It was, but I suppose the same thing could happen with the current system.
Only rows may be checked, that in each line one skater is specified. Columns can not be checked so, everyone can look at them, they are shorter than rows.
My main concern, though, is what happens if a skater withdraws? Does this system allow for teams bringing into the competition any of their substitutes (eg. with Rika replacing Satoko at Worlds)? Or for alternates if a skater withdraws after the predictions are made?
These cases must be edited in spreadsheet for calculation (another file).
Just one more thing. If this was to be used, would it be possible to have the names down the side and the positions along the top?
You can change the rows and columns, but it's worse. Then several skaters can be a pointed for one place. This spreadsheet will look very bad.
When I tried it out there now using the predictions I used for the WTT, it was a nuisance having to scroll back and forth across the screen trying to find everybody. It would be much easier to use if you were just scrolling down a list of names, and putting your selection next to it.
Another possible form is this, but I prefer the first one.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScAEbKOWQ8wL8kc5hXGHtT_EeIfPg5HUWqMRYnzU3B1B5cxNw/viewform
I'm just thinking about what it would be like if you were predicting on competitions that have a much larger entry than the WTT, such as Worlds or Euros (which each have 36 entries), or Junior GP's (which appears to have no limit to number of entries).
The spreadsheets are very large, there are a lot of records (more 1000).

Automatic record in the spreadsheet is done only by lines, on only one sheet, in the first empty line. The only way. This table is for predictions only. For fully automatic calculations, you can use such tables. Copy data there easily.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzLVEdgZR-SmSUs2elJLckozU2M
This is my game for some Russian FS forum (another system of points). One just need to enter the skaters at the top and everything is automatically calculated.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
ICE DANCE results:

After a slight :)angry2:) delay ice dance results are finally ready. And for such awesome event as WTT was, we have some equally awesome results. From only 39 participants 7 have a perfect score of 90 points! I think it's the highest ever result in ice dance competition. And that's with 6 places prediction, instead of 5. Surprising? Yes, it is. Even for such field :)

1st place: 4everchan, AppleEmperor, ines42575, lovaticcanada, Sabrina, Tgee, HoneyGoldLev (nice nickname, by the way) - 90 points! :agree:
2nd place: alyssamarie, apgold, invisiblespiral, LadyB, Marius, NoNameFace, SnowWhite, xibsuarz - 80 points. My congratulations. :clap:
3rd place: and bronze medals go to blackey, Crossover, Debrah, desertskates, fourthdimension, lady_bee, matmuh, Moxiejan, Nathan13, sallycinnamon, waterfall braid, Weathergal, Floria - 70 points. Well done, guys. Congrats! :yes2:

Congratulations to the winners and all the medalists. Hopefully you will continue to play and win. :)

P.S. As usual, if you find any mistakes with your score, don't hesitate to contact me. And thank you for playing. :)

moriel

Record Breaker
Every user confirms on the goldenskate forum that he gave a prediction in the specified date and time.

Yes, I think so. The last given prediction is taken into game.

Only rows may be checked, that in each line one skater is specified. Columns can not be checked so, everyone can look at them, they are shorter than rows.

These cases must be edited in spreadsheet for calculation (another file).

You can change the rows and columns, but it's worse. Then several skaters can be a pointed for one place. This spreadsheet will look very bad.

Another possible form is this, but I prefer the first one.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScAEbKOWQ8wL8kc5hXGHtT_EeIfPg5HUWqMRYnzU3B1B5cxNw/viewform

The spreadsheets are very large, there are a lot of records (more 1000).

Automatic record in the spreadsheet is done only by lines, on only one sheet, in the first empty line. The only way. This table is for predictions only. For fully automatic calculations, you can use such tables. Copy data there easily.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzLVEdgZR-SmSUs2elJLckozU2M
This is my game for some Russian FS forum (another system of points). One just need to enter the skaters at the top and everything is automatically calculated.

Btw there are other survey forms. For example, this quick test is free: https://surveys.enalyzer.com/?pid=t3k2maig
and probably the ranking allows better experience for users. It allows ranking, allows setting up the number of skaters to rank (which ive set to 6 above).
Also, this plataform allows to download a spreadsheet with all responses.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Form is good. Where can I see table of the predictions?

Its actually only avaliable for the one who generated the form, i think. I uploaded to google myself: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dZMbPifRxxKjT6fCAwyHOZuT0gtAsGDJ2AjhvUX4ZXw/edit?usp=sharing

I think a form of those could work well for the predicion games here, because basically the format is really good to do the scores, and it offers rank questions, unlike google forms.
(also its possible to add a question asking for username and so on).

I suppose a forum confirmation would work well (people could ask the users to confirm imediately after doing the survey and check by timestamp).

Last edited:

Antyv

On the Ice
Its actually only avaliable for the one who generated the form, i think. I uploaded to google myself: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dZMbPifRxxKjT6fCAwyHOZuT0gtAsGDJ2AjhvUX4ZXw/edit?usp=sharing

I think a form of those could work well for the predicion games here, because basically the format is really good to do the scores, and it offers rank questions, unlike google forms.
(also its possible to add a question asking for username and so on).

I suppose a forum confirmation would work well (people could ask the users to confirm imediately after doing the survey and check by timestamp).
Here I saw only one advantage, you can not place the skater in several positions.
I need a form associated with the spreadsheet. The user, completing the prediction, should immediately see his prediction in the spreadsheet. In Google forms it's done. In these forms is there such possiblity? If there is such a link, then you can give access any user to the view.
In addition, to give the prediction, registration with e-mail is required, not everyone will like it.

moriel

Record Breaker
Here I saw only one advantage, you can not place the skater in several positions.
I need a form associated with the spreadsheet. The user, completing the prediction, should immediately see his prediction in the spreadsheet. In Google forms it's done. In these forms is there such possiblity? If there is such a link, then you can give access any user to the view.
In addition, to give the prediction, registration with e-mail is required, not everyone will like it.

I´m suggesting this for to use for this forum's competitions, so it may not be perfect for your own uses, just in case.

As for advantages, its also more user friendly than the google forms way. Also, it allows any number of inputs - so people could do, for example, more than 6 ranks if they wanted to (as i commonly see them doing on this forum threads)

1. Registration with e-mail is not required. You can answer the survey without any registration or login. I´m 100% sure of this as i tried myself.
2. This form is associated with a spreadsheet, which can be downloaded by admins.
3. "The user, completing the prediction, should immediately see his prediction in the spreadsheet." I would never recommend any plataform that does this, as it is wrong on so many levels (just in case, I am a statistician, and creating surveys and collecting people's answers are part of my job). Answers can be shared once the survey is completed, using any plataform of admin's choice, such as good old googledocs.