2017 World Team Trophy - Day 1 | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2017 World Team Trophy - Day 1

magicalwords

On the Ice
As for the SP...well Jason got his personal best pcs here, so I can't quite buy the foreign skaters are screwed theory.

Because there is nothing gained from "screwing" over Jason. He does not need to be held down. Clean Jason will not be a threat to the top skaters unless they have a meltdown.

FS is such a political sport. Of course we don't have proof, but I can't say I don't love the conspiracy theories! :popcorn:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It was a rival-skaters-are-screwed theory. Brown wasn't the one who took out Hanyu and Uno at 4CC, sparking a campaign attempting to trivialize his artistry and programs. And one-quad Chan and Kolyada weren't exactly a threat either. I mean Chen should have been above 100 even with reduced content. But regardless, he was still 2nd in the SP and 2nd overall, and against other guys putting in more ambitious content while scaling back on his own.

Um by JSF?

YMMV, but I just don't see the point of boo-hooing a skater whose PCS was 1 point lower than previous competition when he went from 37 to 43 in the course of one season. 42 PCS is still pretty high.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Hmmm... perhaps because they want their own skaters - who have lost to him this season - to have the best chance of winning? #StatingTheObvious

Uhm... no, maybe not everybody thinks like that, hard as that might be to imagine for you?

Nathan happens to be very popular with Japanese fans. A lot of direct rivals to their own skaters happen to be very popular in Japan.

I dunno, but accusing a whole nation of "feverishly" wanting a skater to be marked down would need some form of... relation to reality for me to be an okay statement to make. But I guess there are differences to what "obvious" means.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Where did I accuse a whole nation? Or are you just exaggerating again?

Sorry, you just accused 'some folks especially from Japan' without any ground for it, that is a lot better.

Edit: and since I didn't read around here at that time but it still annoys me to no end reading it later, regarding this comment from you pages back:

I'm not so sure about that.:rolleye:

Anyone know if Chan needs surgery too, and is skating with a nagging injury? Or someone from the Canadian fed said something to him that threw him off?

Why was it necessary to attack that poster like that? The poster you quoted him-/herself didn't say anything about Yuzu needing surgery in relation to why he skated bad, it was just mentioned in response to someone else asking if something was wrong. And it was just a honest mistake because back in 2015, that pushed back surgery was the case. I'd think jumping at a new member and mocking them like that for an honest mistake is not necessarily fitting behavior for GS staff, but I guess I'm wrong on that account, given that that comment stayed here and all.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A campaign to *diminish* Nathan's artistry?:laugh: All I saw was Phil Hersh shilling for him by interviewing 6th grade ballet teachers, friends and family, and everybody but a busload of bishops to try to convince me Nathan has artistry. I mean, who am I gonna believe? The 6th grade ballet teacher or my lying eyes?:biggrin:

I'm going with my lying eyes. I see some improvement in Nathan's SP from the season before. I see nothing in his LP. Nothing but jumps. I've seen more joy expressed by people taking calculus exams. I've listened to all the arguments, and I *still* don't see this artistry.

Nathan's fans will disagree, and that's fine; that's what makes a forum. But a campaign? I have never set foot in Japan, speak no Japanese, do not uber Yuzu or Shoma (I also do not deny their gifts), and if I root for anyone in the "top", I guess it's Javi, but that's probably because last year he skated to Guys and Dolls and I loooove Guys and Dolls and still think kindly of him for it.

At least now maybe folks will stop campaigning for Nathan as the last great hope for US Oly gold and he can take the risks necessary to develop real artistry.....

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Well, looking at the locations or avatars of the hordes in the Chen-bashing threads/videos/blog posts after the GPF/4CC, you MIGHT have noticed a certain trend.

Not really. I know the Hanyu fan thing is a lost cause here, but at least regarding the Japanese fans I'd think ýou should see that you're wrong. There aren't even that many Japanese members here, and I barely remember any of them participating in the "Chen bashing" threads ect. I really don't know where you could even have that idea from.
Or is this a case of "Everything Asian is Japanese?" Don't do that either :palmf:
Again, to the contrary, the Japanese fans are the among the nicets at competitions, rooting for all the skaters, bringing national flags for all of them, Nathan is pretty popular in Japan... I think it's pretty disrespectful to them (and the Japanese members on this board) to generalize like that without any ground for it.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I thought that a lot of the anti-Nathan (and anti-Vincent) sentiment on Golden Skate was coming from fans of other US men. They're not worried about him taking world medals away from their favourites, but worried about him/them taking spot(s) on the Olympic and world teams from them.

There are also people who are just skeptical about bandwagons and the "next great thing". And those who genuinely enjoy artistic skating and genuinely don't see much artistry in Nathan's competition programs.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I'm going with my lying eyes. I see some improvement in Nathan's SP from the season before. I see nothing in his LP. Nothing but jumps. I've seen more joy expressed by people taking calculus exams.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Oh thanks so much I just could not stop laughing when I read this!

I don't know what is more 'amusing' though - Nathan not even trying to pretend to put in some choreo or Raf shaking his head in K&C at Nathan's PCS...
But I must say I applaud whoever chose music for his LP - Mr Borodin is charged with the task of doing all the work so Nathan can just skate from one jump to another calculating how many more quads he needs to put in to kill the competition

Last edited: