2018 Canadian Championships Gen Info | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Championships Gen Info

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
More threads will be popping up soon but I've gotten started with the novices. Feel free to give me some feedback if you'd like to see something in the threads which I haven't put in.

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
More threads will be popping up soon but I've gotten started with the novices. Feel free to give me some feedback if you'd like to see something in the threads which I haven't put in.

Thanks for getting that started. I'd love to see a ticket exchange thread or something like that - be nice to snag a few tickets for the Saturday practices.

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
Camera Policy

That should be allowed as long as you don't film if they ask you not to. That was the case at Autumn Classic this year when the Japanese media started clamping down when senior men started.

Yeah well I saw that too and decided after sleeping on it to cancel a LensRental.com order because I requested an 18-400mm lens. Somehow I figured better to cancel the order than spend $80 US only to be turned away at the gate, have to get back on the bus to the hotel, drop off the offending camera in my room, then get back on the next bus and hopefully get back in time to watch Kaetlyn.

I'll just have to pay for very good Danielle Earl Photography photos. Oh well...

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Yeah well I saw that too and decided after sleeping on it to cancel a LensRental.com order because I requested an 18-400mm lens. Somehow I figured better to cancel the order than spend $80 US only to be turned away at the gate, have to get back on the bus to the hotel, drop off the offending camera in my room, then get back on the next bus and hopefully get back in time to watch Kaetlyn.

I'll just have to pay for very good Danielle Earl Photography photos. Oh well...

Don't be disheartened! Skate Canada posts photos of the top 3 for each discipline for both the short programs and overall (podium). In the past they've posted more photos, including other athletes but now I guess because they've changed photographers the photography side is more commercialized. There will be others there doing photos too. Maybe Getty. And most likely ice-dance.com as well. And of course, enthusiastic fans with surprisingly good cameras and photography skills. We can share what we find online. :)

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
Not too disheartened but as somebody who packs around a DSLR and thinks I'm kinda good with it, I'll have to downshift my photography game. I'll be fine.

I'll also happily share any and all updates I get on photo policy. Right now trying to decide if I should pack the DSLR with the 18-32 mm Sigma ART lens or take my dad's megazoom that does NOT have an interchangeable lens.

Sackie

Medalist
Does Canada still force the JR Winners from last year to move up to SR this year? And if so - are we the only country to do this. Kind of think some of them might do better staying in JR and trying to improve themselves.

nadster

Final Flight
Does Canada still force the JR Winners from last year to move up to SR this year? And if so - are we the only country to do this. Kind of think some of them might do better staying in JR and trying to improve themselves.

Junior winners aren't forced to move the to seniior nationally as long as they meet age requirements.

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
Not too disheartened but as somebody who packs around a DSLR and thinks I'm kinda good with it, I'll have to downshift my photography game. I'll be fine.

I'll also happily share any and all updates I get on photo policy. Right now trying to decide if I should pack the DSLR with the 18-32 mm Sigma ART lens or take my dad's megazoom that does NOT have an interchangeable lens.
No detachable lenses allowed at all. I had to switch from a DSLR and 70 - 200 mm 2.8 lens to a compact a number of years ago when Skate Canada changed their camera policy. You might be able to use a DSLR if the door security/ushers are clueless about cameras, but I wouldn't count on it. I was even hassled about a mirrorless with a short lens. The rink may be too dark to get many decent shots with your dad's megazoom, unless its lens has large aperture.

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
No detachable lenses allowed at all. I had to switch from a DSLR and 70 - 200 mm 2.8 lens to a compact a number of years ago when Skate Canada changed their camera policy. You might be able to use a DSLR if the door security/ushers are clueless about cameras, but I wouldn't count on it. I was even hassled about a mirrorless with a short lens. The rink may be too dark to get many decent shots with your dad's megazoom, unless its lens has large aperture.

Good thing I just found my Panasonic LZ7. About 10 years old but certainly compact and still works like a champ. Perfect for situations when you're just supposed to be a fan of your photo subject and not running through your photographer mind the exposure triangle or how much blur or such.

I also checked the seemingly current Skate Canada camera policy. "No camera bags in venue" and "No use of professional cameras and/or detachable lenses". Sad, but I can see why they have this policy and will leave it at that.

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
Good thing I just found my Panasonic LZ7. About 10 years old but certainly compact and still works like a champ. Perfect for situations when you're just supposed to be a fan of your photo subject and not running through your photographer mind the exposure triangle or how much blur or such.

I also checked the seemingly current Skate Canada camera policy. "No camera bags in venue" and "No use of professional cameras and/or detachable lenses". Sad, but I can see why they have this policy and will leave it at that.

Although no longer available, I use an Olympus Stylus 1. In a reasonably bright rink I usually set it up with similar settings to what I did with my DSLR - ISO 800 or 1000, shutter speed between 320 - 500, aperture 2.8. With some post-processing in Lightroom, I find I can coax out some acceptable results, eg. http://skateshutterbug.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2621601759-5.jpg Not even close to DSLR quality, but at least it's something.

Good luck getting some amazing shots! Sadly I've had to cancel my trip to Vancouver due to an illness in the family, so won't have a chance to give a try in the UBC rink. Hopefully the lighting is good.

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
Although no longer available, I use an Olympus Stylus 1. In a reasonably bright rink I usually set it up with similar settings to what I did with my DSLR - ISO 800 or 1000, shutter speed between 320 - 500, aperture 2.8. With some post-processing in Lightroom, I find I can coax out some acceptable results, eg. http://skateshutterbug.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2621601759-5.jpg Not even close to DSLR quality, but at least it's something.

Good luck getting some amazing shots! Sadly I've had to cancel my trip to Vancouver due to an illness in the family, so won't have a chance to give a try in the UBC rink. Hopefully the lighting is good.

Thanks. All my best to your family.

Saw your awesome photo. Sadly LensRentals.com doesn't rent Olympus compacts, so I decided to rent a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100. It's small and unlike the LZ7 photographs in RAW. I'd rather have my DSLR though... but like I said earlier, I can understand why Skate Canada has concerns.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I didn't realize that the schedule of Canadian Nationals is so close to 4CC as the last event at Nationals to be held on 14 is only one week away from the first event at 4CC. Of course skaters on 4CC have to go to Taiwan before that to get experiences with the ice. That must be really hard. Therefore, I can't expect the likely National champions such as Patrick, Kaetlyn, or D/R or any skaters on the Olympic Team to compete at 4CC before the Olympics while European skaters will get benefits by competing at Euros. I wished to see Kaetlyn make two clean programs in an international event before the Team Event.

Scout

Final Flight
I didn't realize that the schedule of Canadian Nationals is so close to 4CC as the last event at Nationals to be held on 14 is only one week away from the first event at 4CC. Of course skaters on 4CC have to go to Taiwan before that to get experiences with the ice. That must be really hard. Therefore, I can't expect the likely National champions such as Patrick, Kaetlyn, or D/R or any skaters on the Olympic Team to compete at 4CC before the Olympics while European skaters will get benefits by competing at Euros. I wished to see Kaetlyn make two clean programs in an international event before the Team Event.

This seems to be true in any Olympic season. I have similar expectations as you in terms of 4CC competitors. Historically, those who made the Canadian Olympic team don't compete at 4CC.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
It's not only the Canadian athletes though. Yuzuru is also not going because the time it would take going and coming back to Canada wouldn't leave much time for preparing for the Olympics. The Olympics & 4CC are too close to each other.

Skatie

On the Ice
I'm contemplating a last minute trip to Vancouver, but have a couple of questions....
1) If anyone has a single ticket available for the Dance/Ladies Short and/or Free Dance, please message me
2) If i have a ticket for the Dance/Ladies event only, will I be allowed back in at end of the Pairs/Mens event on Saturday night to see the awards ceremony for Dance/Ladies?
3) Does my ticket for Dance/Ladies get me into the practices for those events or do you have to have an all-event ticket to see practices? Thanks!

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
I'm contemplating a last minute trip to Vancouver, but have a couple of questions....
1) If anyone has a single ticket available for the Dance/Ladies Short and/or Free Dance, please message me
2) If i have a ticket for the Dance/Ladies event only, will I be allowed back in at end of the Pairs/Mens event on Saturday night to see the awards ceremony for Dance/Ladies?
3) Does my ticket for Dance/Ladies get me into the practices for those events or do you have to have an all-event ticket to see practices? Thanks!

1) Can't help you there.

2) NO, I e-mailed Skate Canada specifically about this. You have to purchase the Mens-Pairs ticket as well.

3) Apparently you, like I, are on the hunt for practice tickets.

As I learn more, will share.