2018 Canadian Championships Gen Info | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Championships Gen Info

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice

Ice Diva

On the Ice
I thought I’d throw out some quick, random additions to 4everchan’s excellent post since I know UBC so well.

Cabs: be wary! Vancouver taxis are truly terrible & quite unreliable - they don’t like taking fares going out of town (which they see UBC as, LOL). $20 - $30 max from downtown.
Don’t bother ordering one in the evening leaving the campus for town – half the time they just don’t show up. Several times I’ve waited 1 hour for the taxi before giving up & hopping a bus.
Buses: better option. Express buses can be super crowded with students during peak hours. You can get a compass card or use Canadian coins (no change given) https://www.translink.ca/Fares-and-Passes/DayPass.aspx

Express buses (minimal stops): #99, #44, #84 (stops outside Granville Island).
“Milkrun” buses: 4, 14, literally stop every block
#33 – goes along 16th & stops right by the Arena (take #10 from downtown & transfer at 16th Ave)
#25 – goes to Westbrook Village (stops right outside Arena)
Car2go – if you’re a member, Vancouver is a haven for share cars with parking banks everywhere at UBC

UBC map - http://maps.ubc.ca/PROD/index.php
UBC Food Map: http://www.food.ubc.ca/places-to-eat/

The Nest on Campus has lots of food options; there’s also Ike’s Café at Irving Learning Centre but you would have to contend with crowds of students. The UBC Village at corner of Westbrook & University Blvd is closer; there’s a McDonald’s, Vera’s Bergers, Sushi, Chinese, and many other options. But a short walk from the Arena is the Forestry Science Centre where there’s a Tim Horton’s & other food (Main Mall & Agronomy). Main Mall is also lovely to walk along!

4everchan mentioned Alma Village, which is ok, but there are lots of eateries further along on Broadway close to MacDonald Street. White Spot is a few blocks east of Macdonald, & if you walk west you’ll find a plethora of sushi, pizza, Greek plus a Greek supermarket (Parthenon – at Balaclava) and 2 of my fav restaurants: Banana Leaf (Malaysian) & East is East (South Asian/Persian fusion) and some other good places.

There's a Safeway just outside Campus gates on West 10th, in the 10th Avenue Village. Other cafes and restaurants there too.

A must, if you want to experience the more funky side of Vancouver – Main Street from 20th Avenue onwards going south. Many cafes, restaurants, boutiques, etc. https://globalnews.ca/news/2800219/...called-one-of-north-americas-coolest-streets/

Hope this'll be of some use.

GF2445

Record Breaker
We will need to working livestream links to TSN 4 and/or TSN 5 for the SP not on the live stream
TSN 4/5/2 + CTV Two for the Free Skate not on the live stream.

singerskates

On the Ice
My only concern is being able to reenter the venue... I'd like to be reassured of that please before considering it. Thanks.
Usually before exiting an event like Canadian Figure Skating Nationals, I always got my hand/wrist stamped and kept my ticket on me and was able to re-enter. If you're still not sure, scroll back to find a Skate Camada phone number toask them.

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
Usually before exiting an event like Canadian Figure Skating Nationals, I always got my hand/wrist stamped and kept my ticket on me and was able to re-enter. If you're still not sure, scroll back to find a Skate Camada phone number toask them.

Thanks, I'm reassured.

I also browsed your website and am now following your Twittah. So awesome you got to work with a living legend Hall of Fame skater in Jennifer Robinson. :)

My Twittah and Instagram is yes, @AvgeekJoe.

slider11

Medalist
Anyone know how the Canadian federation picks their Olympic team? Do they go strictly by the results of this championship or do they use the "body of work" concept?

Andrea82

Medalist
Anyone know how the Canadian federation picks their Olympic team? Do they go strictly by the results of this championship or do they use the "body of work" concept?

All athletes must be in compliance with Rule 400, Section A paragraph 5 of the International Skating Union (ISU) Regulations with respect to entries to the Olympic Winter Games.

In determining athletes for nomination, the HPDC will consult with the Skate Canada High Performance Director, and may also consult with National Team Coaches and other National Team Support Staff. The athlete assessment procedure involves weighing the relative strengths and weaknesses of the athletes and their competitive results in order to select the best athletes possible for a top result at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games. The HPDC will exercise discretion with regard to the relative weight and priority of the Selection Criteria as well as other relevant factors deemed appropriate in their decision making process and will take into account, in no specific order, the following criteria:

Medalist at the 2016, and/or the 2017 ISU World Figure Skating Championships
Placement at the 2018 Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships
Top 10 placement at the 2016 and/or 2017 ISU World Figure Skating Championships
Top 6 placement at the 2016 and/or 2017 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
Qualifying for the 2015/2016, 2016/2017, and/or 2017/2018 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final and/or the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
Other relevant criteria deemed appropriate for selection

Skate Canada nominations are subject to the approval of the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC).

In order to be eligible for nomination to the COC to be a member of the Skate Canada Team competing at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games (Olympic Team), an athlete must meet the following eligibility requirements:

Canadian Citizen (Rule 41 of the Olympic Charter)
Valid Canadian Passport on or before January 15, 2018 and must be valid until August 28, 2018
Member in good standing of Skate Canada
In compliance with Rule 108, paragraph 3(a) of the International Skating Union (the “ISU”) Regulations with respect to Age Requirements
Signed Skate Canada athlete agreement for the 2017/2018 season. Sign and submit the COC athlete agreement and PyeongChang 2018 Conditions of Participation Form no later than January 21, 2018.

https://info.skatecanada.ca/index.php/en-ca/?id=40:2018-olympic-winter-games-selection-criteria

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I thought I’d throw out some quick, random additions to 4everchan’s excellent post since I know UBC so well.

Cabs: be wary! Vancouver taxis are truly terrible & quite unreliable - they don’t like taking fares going out of town (which they see UBC as, LOL). $20 - $30 max from downtown.
Don’t bother ordering one in the evening leaving the campus for town – half the time they just don’t show up. Several times I’ve waited 1 hour for the taxi before giving up & hopping a bus.
Buses: better option. Express buses can be super crowded with students during peak hours. You can get a compass card or use Canadian coins (no change given) https://www.translink.ca/Fares-and-Passes/DayPass.aspx

Express buses (minimal stops): #99, #44, #84 (stops outside Granville Island).
“Milkrun” buses: 4, 14, literally stop every block
#33 – goes along 16th & stops right by the Arena (take #10 from downtown & transfer at 16th Ave)
#25 – goes to Westbrook Village (stops right outside Arena)
Car2go – if you’re a member, Vancouver is a haven for share cars with parking banks everywhere at UBC

UBC map - http://maps.ubc.ca/PROD/index.php
UBC Food Map: http://www.food.ubc.ca/places-to-eat/

The Nest on Campus has lots of food options; there’s also Ike’s Café at Irving Learning Centre but you would have to contend with crowds of students. The UBC Village at corner of Westbrook & University Blvd is closer; there’s a McDonald’s, Vera’s Bergers, Sushi, Chinese, and many other options. But a short walk from the Arena is the Forestry Science Centre where there’s a Tim Horton’s & other food (Main Mall & Agronomy). Main Mall is also lovely to walk along!

4everchan mentioned Alma Village, which is ok, but there are lots of eateries further along on Broadway close to MacDonald Street. White Spot is a few blocks east of Macdonald, & if you walk west you’ll find a plethora of sushi, pizza, Greek plus a Greek supermarket (Parthenon – at Balaclava) and 2 of my fav restaurants: Banana Leaf (Malaysian) & East is East (South Asian/Persian fusion) and some other good places.

There's a Safeway just outside Campus gates on West 10th, in the 10th Avenue Village. Other cafes and restaurants there too.

A must, if you want to experience the more funky side of Vancouver – Main Street from 20th Avenue onwards going south. Many cafes, restaurants, boutiques, etc. https://globalnews.ca/news/2800219/...called-one-of-north-americas-coolest-streets/

Hope this'll be of some use.
The Campus is beautiful and they have right there many of the standard university type fast food including healthier options ie Pho and salad. A quick bus ride on Broadway or West 4th are a tonne of other restaurants. Higher end ones on West 4th along with some good shopping. On Broadway (also West 4th) in an area called Kitsilano there are tonnes of neat shops and restaurants - great for strolling - check out Gravity Pope for shoes and clothes or Turnabout B for higher end used clothing. On Broadway there is everything from the Eatery to White Spot for burgers to Mongolian Grill and some Greek and Mexican restaurants to boot. But there are tonnes of little restaurants just off the campus within walking distance - but warning the Campus is huge and spread out - they lost most of their parking to condos - yep they built condos on the campus a little 400sq foot thing is like probably half a million dollars. If money is tight maybe you could go towards the Beach (Pt Grey/Spanish Banks/Jericho Beach) area and visit Chip Wilson - Mr. Lululemon and see his 78.8 million spread - it is modest with only seven bedrooms I believe. Ice Diva has it right; I would add downtown West End - Denman/Davie Street for a great atmosphere and food (as well as shopping). Check out the beach -English Bay and see some palm trees - yep in Vancouver. Or head to the yuppy area in Yaletown and find time for Brunch on Granville Island. Tonnes of Japanese restaurants and some great Ramen houses to boot.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am pretty sure Thunderbird Arena will allow flowers - it kind of goes with figure skating along with stuffies. Be prepared to walk folks if taking transit and rain. I am kind of surprised they picked such a small arena though? It is nationals in an Olympic year. I suppose if you get bored you can sit in a biology, physics or if you are willing to walk a bit Anthropology lecture (Ooh go visit the Anthropology Museum on campus - it is quite a walk though from the Arena. And while it will be cold and wet (relatively speaking) you can visit Wreck Beach - the famous nude beach - it was one time named one of the top ten beaches in the world -though I didn't understand why since it is so rocky. There are a lot of stairs and it is not wheelchair accessible. Warning if someone is selling brownies it may not be just dessert. After the US nationals Canadians might be a let down though I guess the Canadians will have an interesting battle for the second men's spot and the third spot in pairs. Also, I wonder if Alaine Chartrand's "spot" might be at risk. ONe time she seemed to be in a tight battle with Daleman and Osmond and now she seems to be clinging to that third spot. She is lucky there aren't a lot of strong Canadian ladies after Daleman and Osmond.

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
I am pretty sure Thunderbird Arena will allow flowers - it kind of goes with figure skating along with stuffies. Be prepared to walk folks if taking transit and rain. I am kind of surprised they picked such a small arena though? It is nationals in an Olympic year. ... .

a) Thanks.

b) I do want to assure folks the TransLink bus stops are really close to the arena. Worst case, two or three minute walk.

c) Yeah, the choice of arena got me. I guess the Canucks weren't too wild about giving up their arena for a week.

singerskates

On the Ice
Would all-event ticket holders also have to purchase practice tickets?
Practice tickets come with the all event tickets last I heard. Last time attended Canadian's with all event tickets was 2010. And before that I volunteered in Hamilton in 2002, so I had not bought all event tickets then.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Ted & Debbi have let us know that Nationals aren't the only criteria for Olympic selection. Body of work is also important.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Comments for the live stream can be sent by text to the number +1-604-418-3157.

Ted's announced that the first group for senior pairs & ice dance as well as the 1st & 2nd group for senior men and ladies will be on the live stream.