2018 Canadian Championships Gen Info | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Championships Gen Info

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
Thank you, maybe text the comment when Kaetlyn is up, "TELL RAVI - BUT NOT THE JUDGES - THERE ARE YANKEES FOR KAETLYN! WHO'S GOING TO GO... ALL! THE! WAY! TO CANADA'S NEXT OLYMPIC GOLD IN FIGURE SKATING!"

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Thank you, maybe text the comment when Kaetlyn is up, "TELL RAVI - BUT NOT THE JUDGES - THERE ARE YANKEES FOR KAETLYN! WHO'S GOING TO GO... ALL! THE! WAY! TO CANADA'S NEXT OLYMPIC GOLD IN FIGURE SKATING!"

Sorry mate you missed my other comment. The live stream isn't going to be on for the last group in each senior discipline.

YagsFan

On the Ice
Canadian Nationals on TV

I'm wondering if anyone can explain why we in the US can't see Can. Nats. on tv. With the advent of the Olympic Channel, and especially in the Olympic year, why can't they carry this competition? I mean, I'm looking forward to Europeans, which I will be able to watch in all parts of the comp.; then I'll get 4 Continents, so why can't we see Canadians?? Anybody get this?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I'm wondering if anyone can explain why we in the US can't see Can. Nats. on tv. With the advent of the Olympic Channel, and especially in the Olympic year, why can't they carry this competition? I mean, I'm looking forward to Europeans, which I will be able to watch in all parts of the comp.; then I'll get 4 Continents, so why can't we see Canadians?? Anybody get this?

Likely no US channel bought rights to air this competition. Within Canada it airs on channels owned by Bell - TSN and CTV. If you get those channels in the US as part of some cable package or something you could watch on TV. Those of us with NBC in our cable packages in Canada could watch those parts of US Nationals that were aired on NBC.

YagsFan

On the Ice
Likely no US channel bought rights to air this competition. Within Canada it airs on channels owned by Bell - TSN and CTV. If you get those channels in the US as part of some cable package or something you could watch on TV. Those of us with NBC in our cable packages in Canada could watch those parts of US Nationals that were aired on NBC.

Thanks for the answer, Mango. I guess what's really in my mind is why our channels wouldn't see value in those rights. I just don't get why they would leave this comp. out while showing so many others. Although, I guess maybe their argument might be that they'd be expected to start showing other country's comps.also---like Japan and Russia. Just seems like with Canada being on the same continent and all . . . Anyway, thanks again, but no, I don't get those channels you mentioned; maybe some who live right at the border might, I don't know.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
based on senior competition schedule for Friday and Saturday, I will be able to watch everything live:cheer:

pearly

Record Breaker
Let me just say these high quality streams of categories other than senior are perfect for anyone who wants to try judging. Great, clear image, reviews and very little reputation and previous knowledge of skater to base your scores on. Try it!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
NoNameFace I hope you are right because the live streaming appears to be for the earlier skate groups sadly. Are there any practice reports. Is Patrick landing the triple axel and quad toe? Did he add back the quad salchow? What about the loop for Kaetlyn

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The senior practices will begin Thursday and will be live streamed as well if I'm not mistaken.

Scout

Final Flight
Ted & Debbi have let us know that Nationals aren't the only criteria for Olympic selection. Body of work is also important.

If this gets applied to anyone other than the obvious (Patrick, Kaetlyn, Gabby, Tessa/Scott, Kaitlyn/Andrew, Piper/Paul and Meagan/Eric), I'll be surprised. I think the remaining spots should go by placement, as there isn't a strong enough case for any other skater.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
If this gets applied to anyone other than the obvious (Patrick, Kaetlyn, Gabby, Tessa/Scott, Kaitlyn/Andrew, Piper/Paul and Meagan/Eric), I'll be surprised. I think the remaining spots should go by placement, as there isn't a strong enough case for any other skater.

I think it will come into play for Ilyushechkina/Moscovitch and Kevin Reynolds. Those guys had a better season last year than they are having this year. I/M also ensure Canada got 3 spots for Olympics & Worlds. But I am not sure how Kevin will do...this will only matter if he's top 3 or something.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
NoNameFace I hope you are right because the live streaming appears to be for the earlier skate groups sadly. Are there any practice reports. Is Patrick landing the triple axel and quad toe? Did he add back the quad salchow? What about the loop for Kaetlyn

Unfortunately, someone already posted this news in coverage thread, so I will be able to watch everything senior live if there will be a stream for final groups :(, I just hope that Chinese streamers from qq page will show interest in Canadian Nationals and stream final groups...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I live in Canada, and I find it hard to watch Canadian Nationals on TV. There are 4 TSNs and they put a lot of the events on the higher ones, which I don't get.

It doesn't matter this year, cause I'll be there. Our reservation in Vancouver isn't until Thursday night, but we're leaving tomorrow to go at least part way because the roads over the mountains are expected to be impassable Thursday. Wish me luck.

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
Oh god, spare us!

The thought of someone Wagner'ing their way onto the podium is so un-Canadian. It's a strictly American thing.

After all, my fellow Americans foisted upon the world a reality TV star and not somebody with genuine leadership skills like a Stephen Harper or a Kaetlyn Osmond or a Sarah Hughes or a Kristi Yamaguchi or a Jennifer Robinson.

Just so you know.

#YankForOsmond

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
IMO if we had 4 strong senior ladies then this would be a problem. We do not. After the top 3 our next strongest ladies are juniors, Alison Schumacher & Aurora Cotop (skating senior domestically), who aren't age eligible. Someone like Alicia Pineault or Michelle Long or even Larkyn Austman might do well at Nationals but haven't proven themselves over the course of a few seasons. I am not sure it would make sense to send them to the Olympics. But I mean it's the fed's call.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The thought of someone Wagner'ing their way onto the podium is so un-Canadian. It's a strictly American thing.

After all, my fellow Americans foisted upon the world a reality TV star and not somebody with genuine leadership skills like a Stephen Harper or a Kaetlyn Osmond or a Sarah Hughes or a Kristi Yamaguchi or a Jennifer Robinson.

Just so you know.

#YankForOsmond

Well if Osmond or Chan skated super poorly I could see the Canadian big wigs finding a way to send them. I can't see Virtue and Moir falling any lower than third with four or five falls.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
IMO if we had 4 strong senior ladies then this would be a problem. We do not. After the top 3 our next strongest ladies are juniors, Alison Schumacher & Aurora Cotop (skating senior domestically), who aren't age eligible. Someone like Alicia Pineault or Michelle Long or even Larkyn Austman might do well at Nationals but haven't proven themselves over the course of a few seasons. I am not sure it would make sense to send them to the Olympics. But I mean it's the fed's call.

But Chartrand has fallen so far; she is much closer to Larkyn than she is Gabby. THe more we see of her the more it is clear she is faltering.

Last edited by a moderator: