2017 World Team Trophy - Exhibition Gala | Golden Skate

2017 World Team Trophy - Exhibition Gala

sublimeskating

Crouching Dreamer, Hidden Badass
On the Ice
I haven't seen the new thread for the WTT Gala so I will start it...

Sunday, 23 April, 14:00-17:00

START / END times in other places

It seems the Gala will be shown live on the ISU official stream and on CBC (source).

EX: order of performances (draft)

Please feel free to post any information about the gala.

Thank you in advance to everyone who finds and posts more information on the Gala :ghug:

Last edited:

sarama

Medalist
This competition has been a nightmare in so many ways that I'm pretty mad with the organisers :unsure:! Maybe I could forgive them just because they have invited Marin for the gala, but I'm not sure yet:biggrin:

:eek:topic: Speaking of Marin.... why oh why Wakaba! Couldn't you do that a few weeks ago? Why do you have SB performances at the most random competitions :bang:? I love you, but you are going to drive me crazy... I was hoping you and Marin would go to the Olympics together, and now there are 0.5% chances that it will happen:sad21:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
This competition has been a nightmare in so many ways that I'm pretty mad with the organisers :unsure:! Maybe I could forgive them just because they have invited Marin for the gala, but I'm not sure yet:biggrin:

:eek:topic: Speaking of Marin.... why oh why Wakaba! Couldn't you do that a few weeks ago? Why do you have SB performances at the most random competitions :bang:? I love you, but you are going to drive me crazy... I was hoping you and Marin would go to the Olympics together, and now there are 0.5% chances that it will happen:sad21:

Depends if Satoko comes back from her injury. There is a slight possibility of a Marin/Wakaba Team, small but there. If Wakaba has a stable 3A in the competitions next season she will go to the Olympics, I'm sure.

sarama

Medalist
Depends if Satoko comes back from her injury. There is a slight possibility of a Marin/Wakaba Team, small but there. If Wakaba has a stable 3A in the competitions next season she will go to the Olympics, I'm sure.
You are right, especially because the Japanese fed has always showed them both quite some love, in particular compared to Mai, Kaori, Yuna Shiraiwa and many other ladies who will be in contention for those two spots. However they can be so hit and miss, so it would be a bit crazy to send them both instead of a reliable Satoko or Mai. And honestly I would be sad if Satoko doesn't go as well, because of all she has done for the Japanese ladies in the past few years.... and I've always liked Mai too.... so next year is going to be heartbreaking no matter what, I guess

Tyranid

Final Flight
Thank god that Radionova will be in the team EX. I hope she dominates E. Armanovna Medvesian and slaps Kovtun upside the head a few times.

Seriously, Radionova is a star. Wagner earned less points that Rad and gets invited instead? Do these people know who makes the money? Do they have brains? :hslap:

atsumiri

Record Breaker
team ex:
Team Japan
Team Russia

ex:
Japan - 11
Russia - 4
USA - 3
Canada - 3
China - 2
France -1
+ Javi - twice

Yossalu

On the Ice
Seriously, Radionova is a star. Wagner earned less points that Rad and gets invited instead? Do these people know who makes the money? Do they have brains? :hslap:

Nathan Chen probably has more to complain about (if he didn't turn down an invite--he very well may have considering the boot issues). Three skaters who placed below him will skate at the gala. Granted, their exhibitions are more entertaining, but if he was passed over again that has got to sting.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thank god that Radionova will be in the team EX. I hope she dominates E. Armanovna Medvesian and slaps Kovtun upside the head a few times.

Oh please...it's not like Elena beat her by 20 points or something. You really expected them to include 2 Russian ladies and not one from the US? I don't really see a huge difference in terms of performance ability between Elena and Ashley, either. How do you determine who is the bigger "star"? If one looks at their followings on social media, Ashley clearly wins.

I'm not biased toward either of them, by the way...I can take or leave them both, but I don't see some huge injustice here. Elena was lucky to be invited at all.

Last edited:

sarama

Medalist
Nathan Chen probably has more to complain about (if he didn't turn down an invite--he very well may have considering the boot issues). Three skaters who placed below him will skate at the gala. Granted, their exhibitions are more entertaining, but if he was passed over again that has got to sting.

Especially because his exhibition is one of the most beautiful of the season IMHO!

Also I'm a tad bitter Shoma won't skate last...Yuzuru won the FS, but theorically Shoma won the men's competition, for once he gets to beat Yuzuru and they don't give him the slightest satisfaction!

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I was under the impression that Ashley actually is pretty popular in Japan, no? :confused: doesn't she get invited to Japan Open like all the time?

lady_bee

Medalist
team ex:
Team Japan
Team Russia

ex:
Japan - 11
Russia - 4
USA - 3
Canada - 3
China - 2
France -1
+ Javi - twice

Do they need Javi?
I like him, but I want to see more skaters who came long way for this competition, and also team USA's performance.

eta

Medalist
I thought Nathan Chen has some ankle issues? Wasn't that why he changed his layout?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
happy that this is so early compared to the other nights.... i will be watching ;)
SarahSynchro, weapo are performing... and their EX is STELLAR!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Your bigger issue should be that a skater who didn't even compete (Fernandez) is going to skate twice, not that they invited Ashley.

I'm glad Jason and Boyang get a run, there are far too many emo exhibition numbers at the moment, we need more crazy upbeat ones.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason is now the Misha Ge or Elladj Balde of galas: he gets invited no matter where he places. Because he has upbeat, crowd-pleasing skates.

For all the times I've heard (quite wrongly, IMHO), oh Jason's just a show skater, oh he can't compete, ya dee ya dee: well, this is a show. And Jason puts on a great one.

I hope it's not the last time I'll see Canned Heat:eek:

asiacheetah

On the Ice
Especially because his exhibition is one of the most beautiful of the season IMHO!

Also I'm a tad bitter Shoma won't skate last...Yuzuru won the FS, but theorically Shoma won the men's competition, for once he gets to beat Yuzuru and they don't give him the slightest satisfaction!

I was in the stadium days 1 and 2, trust me Yuzuru is the bigger star in Japan.

I might be able to speculate a bit on why certain skaters were invited versus others. I believe the main audience for the exhibit are the TV Asahi viewers in Japan and for the sold out arena.

The skaters who received the biggest applause throughout were:

Men: Yuzuru by a long mile, Shoma, Jason, Boyang, Patrick, Nathan, and the second Canadian. (I'm a bit surprised Javi skates twice and Nathan didn't get asked)

Women: Mai, Wakaba, Medeveda, Ashley, and strangely Meta from France. (Maybe because I don't follow women FS any more so not sure what that's about).

Pair: Japan pair, the French pair, the Russian pair

ID: team Japan, Chock/Bates, Weaver/Poje, and the Russian pair.

Like it or not, it's not based on final score at all and you are not their target audience. They will of course feature all of team Japan. Yuzu, even if he bombed both programs, will always skate last since he accounts for more than half of the sold out arena and most of the viewers in Japan. Had he not skated last, there would have been a good chance of people leaving the arena early as soon as he skates and that would be disruptive to the event.

How do I know most came for Yuzu? Night one Yuzu skated last. I was in rink side seats that BV cost $200 (more if you got it thru third party reseller). There were seats that remained empty until the final 6 Men warmed up. Day 2 Yuzu was in the first Men group. Seats stayed empty until his warm up. Plus the amount of banners, people wearing poo headbands, and the insane amount of flowers and gifts thrown on ice.

I know you're proud of Shoma beating Yuzu despite it not being combined and they're actually team mates in this team event. But seriously, Shoma doesn't have the fan base and drawing power Yuzuru has.

Having experienced this event in person, I dislike people calling the event organizers a disaster when it was a well run event just because your favorites didn't get invited or get the prime spot.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Of course! :laugh: I'm looking forward to that!

How do I know most came for Yuzu? Night one Yuzu skated last. I was in rink side seats that BV cost $200 (more if you got it thru third party reseller). There were seats that remained empty until the final 6 Men warmed up. Day 2 Yuzu was in the first Men group. Seats stayed empty until his warm up. Plus the amount of banners, people wearing poo headbands, and the insane amount of flowers and gifts thrown on ice.

ugh, I hate when people do that. It's so damn rude. Every skater at every competition deserves the respect of skating in front of an audience, not just the last group skaters.

withwings

On the Ice

Radionova is very atrractive, yes, indeed, but as a skater... nothing special, I rather would say- mediocre. She has a wonderful personality which makes people to love her, not her skating.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
ugh, I hate when people do that. It's so damn rude. Every skater at every competition deserves the respect of skating in front of an audience, not just the last group skaters.

To be fair Days 1 and 2 are Thursday and Friday, you know work days. Maybe because I was in expensive seats but those around me were working professional age or middle age/older ladies. With Japan's high work ethics, it's hard for them to take time off work for a personal reason. The earlier events were before 6, so long before people can get off work.