2017 World Team Trophy - Exhibition Gala | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2017 World Team Trophy - Exhibition Gala

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My stream stuttered during Weaver/Poje's number, so I went back and watched it today on YouTube. Wow, just wow. It was really lovely and touching.

That and Kanako were the highlights of the gala for me.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I'm with Karne on this one. Good scores do not imply a well-choreographed program.

To assert that is just wrong.

No, it's not.

What is the purpose of choreography in a competitive program if not to increase the competitor's score?

If you are saying that Medvedeva destroys world records without triple axels despite "horrible" choreography, then you are saying that choreography is meaningless to competitive skating.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
No, it's not.

What is the purpose of choreography in a competitive program if not to increase the competitor's score?

If you are saying that Medvedeva destroys world records without triple axels despite "horrible" choreography, then you are saying that choreography is meaningless to competitive skating.

Good choreography can be badly performed and score low.

Bad choreography can be beautifully performed and score high.

I'm saying the latter is what is happening here. The music for the SP was nice, but really, Evgenia's 17 now, we don't need her skipping across the ice. The music for the LP was absolutely lovely, and the story came through loud and clear - and for some reason Averbukh decided to put in some grotesque voiceovers. He's too heavy-handed with this rubbish and thinks that whatever he thinks is the only correct way.

I want Evgenia away from Averbukh because she's so much better than the choreography he gives her. A lot of people feel the same. Alas, she's stuck with him next year. I hope it won't be too awful, but I know that no matter how bad the choreography is, Evgenia will perform it well.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
No, it's not.

That's one purpose of choreography. I believe it's also to make the program pleasing or at least tolerable to the audience. On this count Medvedeva's programs are a clear fail for me. I watched each one exactly once this year. When I am watching a competition, I take a break when it's her turn to skate.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
That's one purpose of choreography. I believe it's also to make the program pleasing or at least tolerable to the audience. On this count Medvedeva's programs are a clear fail for me. I watched each one exactly once this year. When I am watching a competition, I take a break when it's her turn to skate.

I'm saying the latter is what is happening here. The music for the SP was nice, but really, Evgenia's 17 now, we don't need her skipping across the ice. The music for the LP was absolutely lovely, and the story came through loud and clear - and for some reason Averbukh decided to put in some grotesque voiceovers. He's too heavy-handed with this rubbish and thinks that whatever he thinks is the only correct way.

I want Evgenia away from Averbukh because she's so much better than the choreography he gives her. A lot of people feel the same. Alas, she's stuck with him next year. I hope it won't be too awful, but I know that no matter how bad the choreography is, Evgenia will perform it well.

Both of these are opinions. You don't like the choreography. It's fair to say that.

What's not fair is to call the choreography "horrible" as if it's an objective fact, when all objective facts (ie, the scoring and undefeated season) all unequivocally say otherwise.

The facts are that it's tremendously effective choreography that you are unable to appreciate.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Both of these are opinions. You don't like the choreography. It's fair to say that.

What's not fair is to call the choreography "horrible" as if it's an objective fact, when all objective facts (ie, the scoring and undefeated season) all unequivocally say otherwise.

The facts are that it's tremendously effective choreography that you are unable to appreciate.

The facts are that she has won a lot with the choreography.

Unless you've been living under a rock, you should be aware that Karne and I are not just weird outliers here, but that there was a lot of negative reaction to her choreography, particularly to the free skate theme and voiceovers. Many people don't just not appreciate it, they consider it crass and exploitive and unwatchable.

Next you're going to tell us that the holocaust program on Ice Age was tremendously effective and in excellent taste because the people who did the program got good marks. Sure, it was.

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight

Again it's your own opinion. She received standing ovations not once this year but almost every competition and many people were touched by her programs and loved them very much.... What is clear fail for you can be a masterpiece for another person. It's still art so there will be many opinions every time.

And btw no matter which program she does next year there will be people who hate them and people who love them.

I'm personally very in love with her programs this year, especially with her last skate this year.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Next you're going to tell us that the holocaust program on Ice Age was tremendously effective and in excellent taste because the people who did the program got good marks. Sure, it was.

I'm not getting dragged down to your level. If there was any significant backlash from fans and/or sponsors to Medvedeva's routines, the ISU would have found a way to shut them down.

We can dislike Donald Trump personally, but, from an objective standpoint, we have to recognize that his tactics were highly effective in attaining his goal to become President of the United States.

Averbukh is highly effective at creating a program that stands out in the judges minds. This is indisputable.

Meoima

Match Penalty

Some scary rumor from Russian forum saying that Zhenia's LP next season might be from Anna Frank's soundtrack. Averburkh makes me feel like :palmf: I don't know what to say.

Fayruza

Match Penalty
Some scary rumor from Russian forum saying that Zhenia's LP next season might be from Anna Frank's soundtrack. Averburkh makes me feel like :palmf: I don't know what to say.

It's going to be Averbukh, but I haven't heard about Anna Frank so far. But I won't be surprised. :(

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Oh, god no. Please, Plushenchrist save her...save us.

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight

I don't believe that. He won't do same theme as previous OG. And Eteri won't allow that eather. I guess it's just rumors.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
The fact is that Evengia's programs, skating skills and consistency have put her at the top. Some say she is unbeatable which has been pretty much the the case
since she joined the Senior ranks. Why would her team change a winning formula?

That said I also understand that she is not "everyone's cup of tea" for various reasons. I don't
see any disrespect from folks having that opinion.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I'm not getting dragged down to your level. If there was any significant backlash from fans and/or sponsors to Medvedeva's routines, the ISU would have found a way to shut them down.

We can dislike Donald Trump personally, but, from an objective standpoint, we have to recognize that his tactics were highly effective in attaining his goal to become President of the United States.

Averbukh is highly effective at creating a program that stands out in the judges minds. This is indisputable.

IMO the fact that something is "highly effective" doesn't mean it's good. Trump may have effectively accomplished his goal of becoming president, but again IMO opinion, he's not a good president. And by the way, unless you have facts to prove it - that is, statements from many judges - it is very much disputable that Averbukh has created a program that stands out in judges' minds. It may well be that it's Evgenia herself who is memorable, not her choreography.

aynia

On the Ice
One of the best exhibitions of the season, if not the best! I'm glad the skaters seemed to enjoy it, too! :)

So many wonderful moments....

Kanako got to say goodbye and it was beautiful. I will miss her.

Jason is such a nice guy. (I regret not having gotten his autograph when I had the chance.)

Boyang is cute as well, and funny! Cowboys aren't really my thing but I still like his ex programm.

I'm happy for Vanessa and Morgan. Their music choices this season were great! It's bold to use current titles and should be encouraged. (Not that we will see many next season because for the Olympics most will play it save.)

Yuzu did smile a lot. :)

Zhenya as Sailor Moon is pretty! And OMG, she is human after all - her consistency throughout the season(s) is still amazing.

A long season has ended and I hope all skaters are already on their well deserved vacation! :)

Hinami

Rinkside
One of the best exhibitions of the season, if not the best! I'm glad the skaters seemed to enjoy it, too! :)

So many wonderful moments....

Kanako got to say goodbye and it was beautiful. I will miss her.

Jason is such a nice guy. (I regret not having gotten his autograph when I had the chance.)

Boyang is cute as well, and funny! Cowboys aren't really my thing but I still like his ex programm.

I'm happy for Vanessa and Morgan. Their music choices this season were great! It's bold to use current titles and should be encouraged. (Not that we will see many next season because for the Olympics most will play it save.)

Yuzu did smile a lot. :)

Zhenya as Sailor Moon is pretty! And OMG, she is human after all - her consistency throughout the season(s) is still amazing.

A long season has ended and I hope all skaters are already on their well deserved vacation! :)

Agreed! The atmosphere was wonderful. & the more adorable skater interactions I get to watch, the happier I am with a gala lol ^^ Everyone winding down for a short time...the season is over and what an amazing year it's been! I would have loved to be there.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I really hope that Medvedeva will not be portraying Anne Frank in the Olympic season, just too much... She should change her choreographer, IMO or at least demand something new.

Last edited:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I really hope that Medvedeva will not be portraying Anne Frank in the Olympic season, just too much... She should change her choreographer, IMO or at least demand something new.

Absolutely agree. It was one thing for Julia to portray the horror of the Holocaust via a fictional character and music from "Schindler's List";
it's quite another to use the words of an actual victim as "background music" for one's attempt to win a medal at an athletic competition.
It seems exploitative and just WRONG on so many levels.

ETA: I had some of the same feelings about Evgenia's 9/11 FS (especially after more sound effects were added), but at least it was about a more generalized concept about loss.

Last edited:

beki

Medalist
Hopefully it's just a rumor. Of course we are scarred by past experience.