2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 87 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Tickets for the 2018 Grand Prix Final in Vancouver are going on sale at 10:00 AM PT / 1:00 PM ET.

Ticket Info: 2018 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final

All-Event ticket packages will include all competitions in junior and senior and the exhibition gala, as well as all official practices. Fans will be able to choose from four levels of all-event ticket packages that are priced at $175, $225, $275, $375 (includes a Super Fan Bag voucher), plus applicable surcharges. Tickets can be purchased online at ticketmaster.ca and by phone at 1-855-985-5000.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I’m certain Patrick will skate both sections of the team event. In his current state he would be lucky to be in the last flight of the singles event. Even though he can sometimes be a bit boastful I’m sure he knows the team is his only chance for gold.

I wouldn't say it's his only chance but it's certainly his best chance. He may not be in his prime but, he's still a 3 time World Champion who should never be underestimated.

waterblades

On the Ice
Hey all
Keegan has a go fund me page so his family can come and cheer him on at the Olympics.

https://www.gofundme.com/messing-family-olympic-expenses

I was luckily enough to sit with Katlyn Weaver Mom at Worlds.in London 2013. She told us how she can't afford to see Katlyn skate luckily world's was only a 2hr drive from her home. I had assumed Skate Canada would at least give the parents competing at home at least free tickets but no. The couple beside us couldn't make the gala so gave us the ticket to giverify to both Katlyn and Andrews mom and she almost cried with the generous gift as they weren't going to go. I can only imagine how Keegan's family would feel.

Another fun story from the 2013 world's was many of the Athletes had family that could actually come as they could drive and not have to stay over.. I saw Dylan's brother, tonnes of Scott and Tessa's family and lots of Vanessa James family.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Seriously. Who looked at that girl and thought, "I've got JUST the warhorse for you!"

At first, I suggested that B-52s would be a good choice, but I'm leaning towards an iconic female rocker.

Maybe Stevie Nicks?

"Love Shack"??

I think she should lean into her inner Linda Evangelista (as someone else pointed out) and rock out to George Michael.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I finally watched Virtue and Moir vs. Papakakis and Cizeron's long programs and I must say I really do not think Scott and Tessa will beat P/C at Olympics. I feel that this moulin rouge program is their weakest program they have ever done. I can't believe how smooth and fluid P/C are....Cizeron is so good! And I'm a huge V/M fan. This team is so good at skating, I wish Charlie and Meryl would come back and compete against this wonderful french team, see how they would fare against them...I always thought Charile was a better skater than Scott later on in their careers, I think Scott peaked at Vancouver Olympics.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wouldn't say it's his only chance but it's certainly his best chance. He may not be in his prime but, he's still a 3 time World Champion who should never be underestimated.

I just don't know what happened. One year and he lost his passion, drive and ability. Not even trying the quad sal which is still not competitive. So sad. Did he give up because he knew he was too old or couldn't do the quad flip,loop, sal or lutz? Did watching Nathan pass him kill his fire? So sad. Such a glorious skater; I hope for a miracle but I know it won't happen with so many quadsters- Hanyu, Shoma, Nathan,Vincent, Boyang,Han, Fernandez, Kolyada, Aliev-he might not make the top ten. So very sad.

ChanClan

On the Ice
I'd pick a dramatical FD over the classical FD any day of the week. Moonlight Sonata literally puts me to sleep but w/e :shrug:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hey all
Keegan has a go fund me page so his family can come and cheer him on at the Olympics.

https://www.gofundme.com/messing-family-olympic-expenses

I was luckily enough to sit with Katlyn Weaver Mom at Worlds.in London 2013. She told us how she can't afford to see Katlyn skate luckily world's was only a 2hr drive from her home. I had assumed Skate Canada would at least give the parents competing at home at least free tickets but no. The couple beside us couldn't make the gala so gave us the ticket to giverify to both Katlyn and Andrews mom and she almost cried with the generous gift as they weren't going to go. I can only imagine how Keegan's family would feel.

Another fun story from the 2013 world's was many of the Athletes had family that could actually come as they could drive and not have to stay over.. I saw Dylan's brother, tonnes of Scott and Tessa's family and lots of Vanessa James family.

I am kind of torn in such an odd way. I like Keegan and his skates.I think his family should be at the Olympics as in many ways they helped get him there. On the other hand, my family was or is far poorer than his -we didn't have money for Halloween costumes, piano lessons or soccer. we always had to get the smallest box of crayons.No pity but when I did something like go to provincials or nationals for debating or movie making etc my family could not afford to go. Even locally my parents were working extra jobs and couldn't come to competitions because of lack of money and I certainly wasn't on tv. It's tough but that is life. And while I do not wish him bad he is so so lucky to go;it wasn't that clear he should have beaten Nam - I was so so so impressed with Nam's improvement in the short I thought for sure he would have had a few more points pc wise in the short program especially.And I can think o f so many other needy people sitatio wh need money for basics or health. I think it is so nicehearing about waterblades story of Weapo's mom(s) - it was hard to understand because Weapo's mom(s) are not the same person - they aren't siblinngs. But regardless nice gesture. I would be tempted in my weird thinking for justice and fairness that the money from Go Fund Me go to sending Nam before Keegan's family.

It is kind of weird how say someone can be so close going to the olympics or say being in the wedding party and then you didn't make the wedding party and you end up being part of the set up and clean up crew for your friend's weddinng. Nam is in that situation. Keegan gets to go to the olympics and now his family may get to go while Nam is left watching at home on tv.

I am sure I will be severely criticized for this way of thinking. I just feel a bit sorry for Nam who was so close and I thought - nothing against Keegan= deserved to have a few more points.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
C'mon---Nam is 19. He will be in his prime for the 22 Olympics, so it's not as if it's the end of the world for him if he doesn't go this year. Keegan is 26 and this was his last shot, so why begrudge him the opportunity?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Hey the Olympics haven't even begun. Maybe we keep the doom & gloom for until they're over? There's also Worlds after that so we have another round of misery to come. :)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I noticed that Skate Ontario has put up their events calendar outline for 2018-19 to get clubs (cities?) to bid. Since we care mostly about sectionals and events leading up to that I will focus my discussion on these events.

Unfortunately next season's Minto Summer Skate (if it will still be called that) is still projected to be the largest sectionals qualifying event in Ontario. I'm sure TGee will not be happy to hear this.

Another change: the 2nd qualifying event, this season Summer Sizzle in Waterloo, has had its area widened to include Central Ontario. The event itself is referred to as "Sectionals Series Event #2 - West" though its location is Central-West. Dates are August 16-19, which is one week later than this season. This event ends the week of the first JGP in Slovakia.

But the biggest change is the third event. Normally held the 2nd or 3rd week in August (like event #2 now) in Thornhill and attracting some bigger names in Canadian skating as well as international skaters, it has been moved to the final week of September, September 27-30. Its name right now is "Sectionals Series Event #3 - GTA" and region is Central-West again.
During this week of event #3 there used to be an event in the Ottawa area called Autumn Skate. I am not sure that's happening. The region for this event is also pretty wide, covering Kitchener, Hamilton and as far east as Peterborough. This event is super late and in the middle of both the JGP and the Challenger Series. :think:

Event 4 is still in the Barrie area and it's unlikely to be leaving Allandale Recreation Centre, I would think.

Sectionals themselves are listed as being in the Central Ontario area. This season they were held in Oakville. Dates are November 1-4, 2018.

See a map of the areas I've discussed here
There are more layers on this map for other planned events

Sectionals Series Hosting Chart
Skate Ontario Sectionals Series Categories
Skate Ontario Competition Calendar 2018-2019

Hmmm, this is very interesting for me as a synchro person. Looks like all the synchro events will essentially continue to be held on the same weekends and in the same locations as they were before the Skate Ontario merge. However, I am disappointed that they did not add in an extra synchro competition, because lord knows, it’s definitely needed. Skate Ontario has been absolutely brutal this season when it comes to putting entry caps on certain categories, leading teams to be stuck on wait lists, and then if the competition committee can’t accommodate them, these teams find this out usually after the deadline to register for alternative competitions have closed.

As a team manager, it’s very frustrating to plan your season in the summer, provide the competition dates that the teams plan on attending to the skaters and parents at the beginning of the season in late August or early September, and then have to face the wrath of said parents, skaters, coaches, our sanctioning club, etc, when you regretfully have to inform them that their team didn’t make the cut. Parents and adult skaters and team personnel tend to book time off work far in advance as soon as they receive the list of these competition dates, so you can imagine how infuriating it can be to all parties when these plans fall through. Vacation time that could have been used elsewhere is gone, or alternative plans need to be made to attend other events, thus screwing with everyone’s plans even more...

You legitimately have to be online at the exact second when registration opens in order to guarantee that your team gets in. Meanwhile, Skate Ontario misleads team managers by giving us a closing date for registration, and for those who are new to this, they don’t realize the categories fill up way before the closing date.

Ugh. Sorry for the rant. I was triggered. I’ve dealt with this exact situation time and it time again for eight seasons now, and this one has been the absolute worst.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Hmmm, this is very interesting for me as a synchro person. Looks like all the synchro events will essentially continue to be held on the same weekends and in the same locations as they were before the Skate Ontario merge. However, I am disappointed that they did not add in an extra synchro competition, because lord knows, it’s definitely needed. Skate Ontario has been absolutely brutal this season when it comes to putting entry caps on certain categories, leading teams to be stuck on wait lists, and then if the competition committee can’t accommodate them, these teams find this out usually after the deadline to register for alternative competitions have closed.

As a team manager, it’s very frustrating to plan your season in the summer, provide the competition dates that the teams plan on attending to the skaters and parents at the beginning of the season in late August or early September, and then have to face the wrath of said parents, skaters, coaches, our sanctioning club, etc, when you regretfully have to inform them that their team didn’t make the cut. Parents and adult skaters and team personnel tend to book time off work far in advance as soon as they receive the list of these competition dates, so you can imagine how infuriating it can be to all parties when these plans fall through. Vacation time that could have been used elsewhere is gone, or alternative plans need to be made to attend other events, thus screwing with everyone’s plans even more...

You legitimately have to be online at the exact second when registration opens in order to guarantee that your team gets in. Meanwhile, Skate Ontario misleads team managers by giving us a closing date for registration, and for those who are new to this, they don’t realize the categories fill up way before the closing date.

Ugh. Sorry for the rant. I was triggered. I’ve dealt with this exact situation time and it time again for eight seasons now, and this one has been the absolute worst.

I'm sorry I can imagine this headache. There were similar complaints against the fed for registering skaters to ACI in 2016. I think it's some form of mismanagement.

But what's got me confused and the main reason I posted was that event #3. Why is it so late? And why is it so suspiciously close to the time Autumn Classic is supposed to be held? Hm....

mrrice

Record Breaker

I think it's amazing how Kaetlyn can train in the West Edmonton Mall. There are so many distractions there and it has to be difficult to stay focused. I haven't been to that Mall in 20 years but, when we were there, it had an Amusement Park, a BIG Water Park, and they played loud music in several of the stores. I guess she must practice when the mall is closed or during slow periods but, I wonder how she feels about it. Does she prefer it to a regular rink where I'm sure there are fewer distractions?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I just don't know what happened. One year and he lost his passion, drive and ability. Not even trying the quad sal which is still not competitive. So sad. Did he give up because he knew he was too old or couldn't do the quad flip,loop, sal or lutz? Did watching Nathan pass him kill his fire? So sad. Such a glorious skater; I hope for a miracle but I know it won't happen with so many quadsters- Hanyu, Shoma, Nathan,Vincent, Boyang,Han, Fernandez, Kolyada, Aliev-he might not make the top ten. So very sad.

It's interesting that you mention Nathan Chen. I think Nathan's sudden rise killed the passion in a lot of the US "Mid Range" skaters. With exception of Ross, who I still think got a raw deal, skaters like Alexander Johnson, Timothy Dolensky, and Grant Hochstein were all hoping for that 3rd spot. With Nathan and Vincent being capable of landing multiple quads, I was thinking that Max Arron would get the final spot.

In the US, I think the judges are more willing to look past quads and give big scores to a quadless Jason because of his huge component capabilities. With Adam making the GPF, I can see them giving him the body work spot over Vincent but, seeing the Silver medalist left off the team, still tears at my heart. As for Patrick, He is a 10 time Champion of one the top feds in the world. He's never needed a "Body Of Work" boost to make any of the teams he's been a part of. He is the definition of hard work and taking of your body. For him to come back the way he has and rise back to the top of the sport in his country is a huge deal.....