2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 110 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
AvGeekJoe Gabby also had pneumonia during Nationals. Her recovery may not have been ideal, though she did do great in the FS of the Team Event. She was on track to make a strong comeback at Worlds with a great SP. Unfortunately the ankle sprain prior to the FS put a dent in her plans to skate clean. I think we have to be grateful to Gabby for just going out there and doing her best considering the situtation with Larkyn not even making the FS. Her situation was like Meagan & Eric at 2017 Worlds - do what you can for your country for next season.

I think we should get a new thread going for 2018-19 in April. This is because there is one more international competition featuring Canadian skaters this season - Egna Spring Trophy.
Another novice pair team was assigned - Marine Pouliot and Alexandre Simard (novice silver medallists). There is expected to be a livestream. No entries list is published yet.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
[

I think we should get a new thread going for 2018-19 in April. This is because there is one more international competition featuring Canadian skaters this season - Egna Spring Trophy.

Is it still going to be Road to the Olympics? It seems like such a long time until the next ones. But I suppose if CBC keeps using that, we can too!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Woke up today and reality hit me. I am thinking now after 5 years, I may have to change my GS name. I kinda feel like Prince did back in the 90's.

So, ...how does, Osmond4yetanothergoldnotthatIamgreedy sound anyway...is it too much? ;)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Woke up today and reality hit me. I am thinking now after 5 years, I may have to change my GS name. I kinda feel like Prince did back in the 90's.

So, ...how does, Osmond4yetanothergoldnotthatIamgreedy sound anyway...is it too much? ;)

osmond4backtobackgolds?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Woke up today and reality hit me. I am thinking now after 5 years, I may have to change my GS name. I kinda feel like Prince did, back in the 90's.

:)
I watched live in Milan only Kaetlyn's SP and her practice sessions, but she made striking impression on me: the speed, attack, height/coverage on jumps, control in movement, expression, presence... And she really great connects with the music, theme, audience, such a performer! And she is a beautiful lady, her smile that reaches her eyes is just infectious :). I watched free from the Hotel and thought about You, Osmond4gold, for a moment when ending results came up - You really called it:laugh:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
:)
I watched live in Milan only Kaetlyn's SP and her practice sessions, but she made striking impression on me: the speed, attack, height/coverage on jumps, control in movement, expression, presence... And she really great connects with the music, theme, audience, such a performer! And she is a beautiful lady, her smile that reaches her eyes is just infectious :). I watched free from the Hotel and thought about You, Osmond4gold, for a moment when ending results came up - You really called it:laugh:

Bless you, NoNameFace! And your reports from Milan were brilliant, as usual. Brava!!!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Is it still going to be Road to the Olympics? It seems like such a long time until the next ones. But I suppose if CBC keeps using that, we can too!

Lol no. That was a special one for this season because Team Canada was ready to rock. And they did! We can return to it in 2021-2022 if I'm still around. ;) And yes, the awesome CBC was the 'inspiration' for the title. Canada had national record setting medal hauls in both the Olympics and Paralympics so I think it was a fitting title for this season.

O4G you should just become GoldenOsmond. She'll always be a World Champion and Olympic Team Event gold medallist so it's not even a reach. :)

Ah I forgot to mention - Team KoKo have moved to Gadbois: https://twitter.com/Timkoleto/status/978030583220752384

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oooh, I like it!!! You are always so clever ancientpeas, does it come in red and white?
I’m loving the name suggestions, especially the one by Mango.

Here’s my suggestion: Osmond4OlyGold. ;)
Or Osmond4OG.

LOL the latter would shorten to O4OG. ;)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Bless you, NoNameFace! And your reports from Milan were brilliant, as usual. Brava!!!

thank You for your kind words:)

I did not report as much as I wanted to, still debating if I should start like a separate thread to post my overall and particular impressions from Worlds (like every event separately plus more general experiences like venue, audience and so on) since we are already past it. Maybe I will just write some bits in particular threads...

Overall, Canadians were great, maybe except unfortunate SP from Julianne and Charlie - but for me it was a bad luck that should not define them and their future; the overall level of Pairs' SP was really insane and every fall and step-out counted this time. I was gutted to not see their gorgeous FS:(. Keegan was so exceptional, in SP in particular: he really transported me for a while in this other reality, emitting this old elegance and charm connected with Gene Kelly and 'Singing In The Rain' theme; his spins impressed me very much, fast, well-centred, 'compact' like his whole skating. He may be not the tallest guy, but boy, can he project big into the audience by his performance! He is very swift on his feet, with great feel and accuracy to the music; he knows how to express music and character-driven themes by his body and face. And he constantly searched for audience, by looks, hands, gestures - totally exceptional thing looking at whole fields, at least for me. And he is so great off-ice, obviously there is no 'skating Keegan persona' and 'Keegan persona' separation - graciously chatted with me and signed my flag:)

As I said, Kaetlyn was magnificent - very impressive to see her skating in person, this whole range and speed of movement, attack on everything, playful manner with music, poise in her step. And a beautiful lady, with smile radiating and illuminating the whole arena. I am glad I was able to see this Edith Piaf SP and confirming my feel about great fit and construction of this program - it really felt like a show program, crafted to engage, not only to present a skill. Gabrielle's SP was also amazing - and boy, she is just stunning lady in person! Looks like a real-life princess, no joke. a very powerful skater, that 3-3 combo looks insane in person: distance covered, speed, rotation...And she really performs, maybe not in a very exuberant way, but for me she made a great, non-obvious Carmen, with more playful note than serious dramatic one, and I liked it.

I think that I was mostly surprised by Kirsten and Michael - they made such progress for past few seasons. She is a class - from attack, attitude,performance, skill level, just a stunning lady to look at, Michael really stepped up his game: he looked much more secure, confident, composed and in 'owning' mode in both programs. Lifts did not looked hesitant or wonky that much and he really was a great support for Kirsten this time; despite her struggles, they produced a solid, quality performances, and both programs this season were great - on a more shallow note, Kirsten's FS dress was one of my faves:love:. What I felt watching them, was this enthusiasm and determination to be in this moment together, to fight for good execution, to work together in that.

And Ice Dance teams -what a delight! I began my Milan skating journey with meeting Piper and Paul outside of the arena, so I will have forever a soft spot thinking about them:). So humble, driven (Piper is a boss!) and kind people, through and through - chatted with me despite being after practice and seemed genuinely interested in my enthusiasm towards their work. I told them to keep up great work and originality in ID alive as one of those challenging teams out there, I complimented Piper's costumes and told them that their Tango FD is one of my all-time faves to re-watch. They really set the tone for my stay in Milan. And they delivered a stunning quality in their programs. Seeing WeaPo up close was...intimidating to say at least. Seriously, how could one be so gorgeous?! Between Poje's suave handsomeness and Kaitlyn's beauty, charm and attitude I did not know where to look at practices, standing by the rink -and let me just say, that SD costume Kaitlyn wore...I had troubles with concentration and wondered how Andrew managed - red is her colour, no doubt and they both looked so into each other even at practices, so in character of the dance. Their SD was probably my fave from the whole SD event: it had effortless sensuality and connection that you cannot fake just for performance's sake. Their partial step sequence and pattern were pure class, also one of most impressive lifts. Carolane and Shane had a great debut in my opinion - so much promise in these two! What I noticed, both their programs had this youthful energy around them, an aura of enthusiasm that influenced audience. They have some great skills, Shane in particular: his posture, carriage, swiftness on edges, partnering, elegance were top class.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^ Again you always come through! It feels after reading that we were in the arena. I have to say I read your report about Kaetlyn over the weekend, and have reference your impressions on another Thread with a poster who does not see what we see. You also mentioned during the free dance Piper's dress. She looked like a 1930's Hollywood Goddess on TV, so I can only imagine what it was like to see live. That audience also was special, particularly for the home skaters and neighbouring countries. So much life in the arena. I loved how they cheered on Alina to the end...I also knew that the audience and the World, would fall in love with Keegan, as he's such as entertainer.

Thanks NoNameFace, for allowing us to live vicariously through you and your posts/reports over the course of the competition, and again today. ;) Brava!!!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
^^ Again you always come through! It feels after reading that we were with in the arena. I have to say I read your report about Kaetlyn over the weekend, and have reference your impressions on another Thread with a poster who does not see what we see. You also mentioned during the free dance Piper's dress. She looked like a 1930's Hollywood Goddess on TV, so I can only imagine what it was like to see live. That audience also was special, particularly for the home skaters and neighbouring countries. So much life in the arena. I loved how they cheered on Alina to the end.

Thanks NoNameFace, for allowing us to live vicariously through you and your posts/reports over the course of the competition, and again today. ;) Brava!!!

About Kaetlyn - I think that she came a really long road to what she represents today and while she has her imperfections, not perfectly executed programs, denying her obvious qualities her skating has is just unreasonable for me. She creates an impact while seeing her life - commanding presence, statuesque carriage that catches eye and she skates BIG - yes, she does not backload or have the most difficult combos, multiple transitions in and out of jumps, but one has to understand that Kaetlyn interests people by having different qualities than those others value and use to evaluate skaters' worth. After seeing her life, I can say that there is an incredible maturity, consciousness about the way she skates and performs - her skating is very well balanced, rounded between skill and how it is packaged, I think this general 'fullness' she personifies allures audience. Watching her, I feel effort and purpose, but it looks effortless as a whole performance - yes, she is not always foot-perfect with execution, but at this point who is? They all are humans who try their best in competition. Personally, I feel fortunate to appreciate all kinds of skating, more or less difficult, it often comes to package and how it is all presented. Also, Kaetlyn for me infuses every character portrayed on ice with her powerful style and drive, which created already kind of signature about her.

In regards to Piper - she is a goddess from the past, with all that platinum hair and bold lip, a beautiful lady. And the dress - original and unique like their work, so striking against her skin and hair, she really looked like Veronica Lake or other Old Hollywood star. Combined with Paul's dashing tux/suit, they made such a stunning pair on ice. Those FD lifts were out of this world, audience gasped at every single one! And let me tell You, their consummation into characters is amazing to feel out - there was a moment in step sequence when Paul touched Piper's face with such tenderness and affection (it was skated in front of me), it proves that they are really into what they are doing, those details are really important and done naturally.

About audience - I felt privileged to be a part of it. The moment that stayed in my mind is Knierims' FS - we came to Alexa's struggle like it was ours. It was such a special moment to be a part of, I have no doubt it was the same with Alina's FS.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
So many connections/similarities between Jeff B. and Kaetlyn, eh...

- both came from small towns/regions in Canada, not known for producing elite figure skaters
- like Kaetlyn, Jeff was a previous Canadian champion who lost the title the year they became World Champion
- both won an individual bronze at the OG
- both were silver medalists at Worlds
- were thought by some (not me), as not in the running for World Gold
- Jeff competed against KO's Coach, Ravi Walia
- he won his medal at Worlds, 10 years plus a day, before Kaetlyn
- both handled the pressure of competing at Worlds while others faltered
- he designed/choreographed Kaetlyn's last 2 podium winning FS programs
- the two are skater's skaters
- both are very good friends

And both are, Amazing!!!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
NoNameFace thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts! Really appreciate getting insights from those at the rink.

Gabby will be appearing at an ice show in South Korea, April 20-22. Rink mate Jun Hwan Cha will be starring and Coach Orser will be directing the show.

https://twitter.com/fslove08/status/978444547679121408

Mango, it is my pleasure! I just want to keep those memories and impressions alive as long as I possible can. I just can keep crossing my fingers for Canadian skaters coming to some Senior B competitions this autumn, as I definitely plan to attend in some:):):). I can share/give my insight over some particular topics in regards to Canadian skater(s)/performance(s), if there are some questions - I will try to answer/discuss based on my live experience:)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Mango, it is my pleasure! I just want to keep those memories and impressions alive as long as I possible can. I just can keep crossing my fingers for Canadian skaters coming to some Senior B competitions this autumn, as I definitely plan to attend in some:):):). I can share/give my insight over some particular topics in regards to Canadian skater(s)/performance(s), if there are some questions - I will try to answer/discuss based on my live experience:)

That would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot!!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Speaking of Piper's dress earlier with NoNameFace, the World Championship Best Dressed Awards have just been released and guess which country has picked up 4 more medals!

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/03/27/269796532/donovan-world-championships-fashion-awards

My congrats to Kaetlyn, Keegan, MT&M, and Piper & Paul!!! Which goes to show you, and skaterboy if you are reading ;), Vera Wang who? Our Canadian designers killed it!

So Leslie Jones got it right, with...

https://twitter.com/lesdoggg/status/962542225245855745?lang=en

and also...

https://twitter.com/Lesdoggg/status/966896791156277248

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
This shouldn't be a surprised to anyone, as it was posted (not officially confirmed earlier), but there will be Canadians at the Egna Spring Trophy in all the juniors and adv novice categories from April 4th to April 8th.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Speaking of Piper's dress earlier with NoNameFace, the World Championship Best Dressed Awards have just been released and guess which country has picked up 4 more medals!

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/03/27/269796532/donovan-world-championships-fashion-awards

My congrats to Kaetlyn, Keegan, MT&M, and Piper & Paul!!! Which goes to show you, and skaterboy if you are reading ;), Vera Wang who? Our Canadian designers killed it!

So Leslie Jones got it right, with...

https://twitter.com/lesdoggg/status/962542225245855745?lang=en

and also...

https://twitter.com/Lesdoggg/status/966896791156277248

I love Leslie Jones. :laugh2: She’s my hero. I don’t think there was anything she tweeted about Olympic skating that wasn’t hilarious.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Okay warning here, you may need some kleenex, as this is one of the greatest audience reaction ever captured! Just sayin' ;)

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/979098885732884486

So, Piper (Kaetlyn's bestie, and Larkyn too) in tears, Scott, Eric, and Chiddy, MT&M, out of their minds, and Kaitlyn Weaver standing on her seat. Even our American cousins, Ashley, Madison & Evan, are sooo excited! I am going to miss this quad so much, from their chemistry, respect for each other as people first, next performers/skaters, and their friendships. Amazing to watch!

Thanks for these memories, guys. Stars On Ice or bust, everyone!