2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 114 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Who is this new danish team that’ll now represent Canada? Are they a newly formed team? Do they have immediate potential or should we expect a breakout in a few years? Will they be on the GP circuit come October?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Who is this new danish team that’ll now represent Canada? Are they a newly formed team? Do they have immediate potential or should we expect a breakout in a few years? Will they be on the GP circuit come October?
Fournier Beaudry is Canadian, Sorensen is Danish. They’ve been competing for Denmark on the international scene for several years, and have finished as high as 11th at Worlds in the past. They’re probably about equivalent to Soucisse and Firus in terms of their scoring potential right now.

Whether they have room to climb higher will be an interesting question. I know a lot of their fans think that they’ve been held back by Danish Fed’s lack of international prestige. If there’s anything to that, sprinkling a bit of Canadian pixie dust on them might be just the trick.

They can’t do the Grand Prix this year. We’ll see them at Nationals, at which point they’re eligible to go to 2019 Worlds.

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
I do think Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen will be eligible for 4CC since it will move back to February in an non-olympic year.

Anyways, there are several Canadians in the lead at the Egna Spring Trophy this week. Especially some of our advance novice entries, since these were the top 3 in the novice at Nationals in Vancouver in pairs and singles.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I do think Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen will be eligible for 4CC since it will move back to February in an non-olympic year.
Considering that it’s in Skate Canada’s interest to develop both S/F and F-B/S, they might take a page from the Japanese in how they spread out opportunities for their ladies. Have whichever team is third at Nationals be the third team at Worlds while the fourth-place team is the third team to Four Continents.

Anyways, there are several Canadians in the lead at the Egna Spring Trophy this week. Especially some of our advance novice entries, since these were the top 3 in the novice at Nationals in Vancouver in pairs and singles.
Always good to have promising youngsters.

We talk a fair bit about Gogolev, Phan, etc. because there’s obviously an immediate gap to fill on Team Canada 2022. Is there anybody in the 12-15 age range on the women’s side showing promise? Kaetlyn and Gabby aren’t going anywhere fast, but it’d be nice to find a “third musketeer” who could use that third spot to go to Worlds in the next few years with comparatively low stakes.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Alison Schumacher, Aurora Cotop, and Olivia Gran are three of the top developing ladies. Amelia Orzel (one of Conrad's sisters) also looks to be making progress. All need to develop a lot more. One of the girls who had great presentation skills (Mckenna Colthorp) looks to have retired.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Alison Schumacher, Aurora Cotop, and Olivia Gran are three of the top developing ladies. Amelia Orzel (one of Conrad's sisters) also looks to be making progress. All need to develop a lot more. One of the girls who had great presentation skills (Mckenna Colthorp) looks to have retired.

you should add the couple girls from Quebec... you always forget about those...

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
you should add the couple girls from Quebec... you always forget about those...

They are late bloomers, mostly over 15 so I didn't include them. I also don't know of many younger ones doing the full set of triples. Do you know any in the 12-15 age range fitting that criteria? Feel free to add them.

Alison & Olivia were alternates for Junior Worlds this year. Aurora went. Amelia is novice champion and looks to be doing all her triples except 3Lo. Olivia is junior champion this year, while Alison was bronze medallist last season. Mckenna was bronze medallist in junior ladies at 2017 Challenge and provincial champ in 2016 as well. I don't know what happened to her though.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
They are late bloomers, mostly over 15 so I didn't include them. I also don't know of many younger ones doing the full set of triples. Do you know any in the 12-15 age range fitting that criteria? Feel free to add them.

Alison & Olivia were alternates for Junior Worlds this year. Aurora went. Amelia is novice champion and looks to be doing all her triples except 3Lo. Olivia is junior champion this year, while Alison was bronze medallist last season. Mckenna was bronze medallist in junior ladies at 2017 Challenge and provincial champ in 2016 as well. I don't know what happened to her though.

yup... always late bloomers! i don't know why... they work too much on PCS :) lol... hopefully one day, there is a chiddy kind a girl coming out of that system... in the meantime, our two girls had good SPs... and I hope they do well in the LP.... they earned highest PCS ..but of course, in the LP we will see if they have enough triples.

- - - Updated - - -

i think the Carle sisters are working well and hard... we will have to see how they develop.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
yup... always late bloomers! i don't know why... they work too much on PCS :) lol... hopefully one day, there is a chiddy kind a girl coming out of that system... in the meantime, our two girls had good SPs... and I hope they do well in the LP.... they earned highest PCS ..but of course, in the LP we will see if they have enough triples.

- - - Updated - - -

i think the Carle sisters are working well and hard... we will have to see how they develop.

Yeah definitely expected more from Catherine Carle this season but it didn't go as planned for her.

TGee mentioned the issue for ladies is learning harder jumps earlier. Canadian coaches haven't been doing that. Apparently you are supposed to have your triples before your growth spurt so that you can learn those jumps again more easily rather than starting from scratch. The QC girls I see don't have harder triples - their hardest jump is 3Lo for some. Same for quite a few of the Ontario girls. But that's crazy because in the junior SP alone you have 3F, 3Lz, and 3Lo as rotating single jumps. This season was 3Lz, next is 3F. So they really need to be learning those jumps earlier.

I was rewatching a part of Nationals and Ted was just commenting that you need those 3-3s if you want an international assignment. With the NextGen guidelines published we know officially that SC expects that much. But if you look at protocols from Nationals none of the girls did one in the SP and very few did 2A+3T combos in the FS. Actually Amelia is the only one that did a 3-3 combo (with a UR) but in the novice SP. That just shows that the girls aren't at the level where SC wants them to be so they aren't considered to be internationally competitive. And it should be noted that the fed now seems to be looking past scores (but not entirely) and more at what a skater can actually do. Which is why someone like Beres got another international assignment despite being injured and not making it out of Challenge. I also expect Bausback to get some kind of assignment as well if her jumps are back for the same reason.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah definitely expected more from Catherine Carle this season but it didn't go as planned for her.

TGee mentioned the issue for ladies is learning harder jumps earlier. Canadian coaches haven't been doing that. Apparently you are supposed to have your triples before your growth spurt so that you can learn those jumps again more easily rather than starting from scratch. The QC girls I see don't have harder triples - their hardest jump is 3Lo for some. Same for quite a few of the Ontario girls. But that's crazy because in the junior SP alone you have 3F, 3Lz, and 3Lo as rotating single jumps. This season was 3Lz, next is 3F. So they really need to be learning those jumps earlier.

I was rewatching a part of Nationals and Ted was just commenting that you need those 3-3s if you want an international assignment. With the NextGen guidelines published we know officially that SC expects that much. But if you look at protocols from Nationals none of the girls did one in the SP and very few did 2A+3T combos in the FS. Actually Amelia is the only one that did a 3-3 combo (with a UR) but in the novice SP. That just shows that the girls aren't at the level where SC wants them to be so they aren't considered to be internationally competitive. And it should be noted that the fed now seems to be looking past scores (but not entirely) and more at what a skater can actually do. Which is why someone like Beres got another international assignment despite being injured and not making it out of Challenge. I also expect Bausback to get some kind of assignment as well if her jumps are back for the same reason.

well you are right and wrong on a few points... ;)

Kaetlyn and Larkyn are examples of girls learning jumps later... so it's possible.

also, Sarah Maude just landed 3f and 3lz in her SP.. many international seniors cannot do that because they have edge issues.

what I think is important at a younger age though would be to make them learn a bunch of combos ... even things like 2t-3t... with the triple as the second jump.. i find our ladies are deficient in 3-3 combos...

also in juniors, it's incorrect to say that the solo jump is triple... girls are allowed to do a double jump ... for instance, Aurora struggled all year because the required jump was the lutz... well... good on her to try the 3lulz but she could have simply done the 2ltz...

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
well you are right and wrong on a few points... ;)

Kaetlyn and Larkyn are examples of girls learning jumps later... so it's possible.

also, Sarah Maude just landed 3f and 3lz in her SP.. many international seniors cannot do that because they have edge issues.

what I think is important at a younger age though would be to make them learn a bunch of combos ... even things like 2t-3t... with the triple as the second jump.. i find our ladies are deficient in 3-3 combos...

also in juniors, it's incorrect to say that the solo jump is triple... girls are allowed to do a double jump ... for instance, Aurora struggled all year because the required jump was the lutz... well... good on her to try the 3lulz but she could have simply done the 2ltz...

It's possible, but it's not easy. And there will be consistency issues. We see that with Larkyn. We see it with Kaetlyn as well, though less now. I recall reading her 3Lo was the last triple she learned and we see how many times it doesn't go well for her. In general the earlier you get your triples the better - you have more time to work with them. Even if they need improving.

There was a QC girl doing 2T+3T. It's a start.

The solo jump is a triple if you want to be competitive. Otherwise do the double. You may be unable to make the FS cut off at Junior Worlds though, especially if you have no 3-3. Let's be real, you can't be competitive if you leave big points on the table like that. The whole point of having these rotating solo jumps each season is to encourage skaters to learn them. If you're keeping it safe by doing a double instead of a triple then you're not really learning or growing. Unless you are new to skating and a double is the best you can do.

Also, the fed wants you to do a triple solo jump. The junior women's only bonus for Canadian competitions next season is a solo triple flip in the SP proceeded by steps. The fed sees those double jumpers and is not encouraging them. Contrast this to the junior men where the bonus is for a triple Axel or any jump with a higher BV in both the SP and FS. The focus for junior men is getting that 3A so they can move on and do quads.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
all i am saying is that it's NOT mandatory to do a triple for the juniors... that's all :)

lots of boys on JGP do a double axel... lots of girls (not the Russians of course) do a double jump... so here, Canada wants to encourage our juniors to develop as fast as the other countries which is good... but honestly, knowing Aurora doesn't yet have a stable 3lutz and her 3t-3t is iffy, i would have preferred to see her focus on her combo and just to a nice big 2lutz-rippon. Skating clean is also something that needs to be learned... and getting used to it is quite a task...

I will give you an example : the later you get into a clean performance, the more pressure you have to remain clean... some skaters get too excited after let's say the 3 jumps and will mess up a spin or steps... some skaters will indeed mess up the last jump after being clean for the entire program.. there seems to be a' hey!!! i am skating clean" curse... similar things happen in concerts for some performers with less experience... it's a focus on results... instead of process...

SO... that's something that needs to be learned as well... I wonder, since I am using Aurora here, how she would have dealt with her SP if she had been trying a double lutz...
instead of a jump that she knows may mean a huge fall....

in any case, Aurora is young.. if she remains in junior this year, she will enjoy her 3flip ;)