Page 149 of 149 FirstFirst ... 49 99 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149
Results 2,221 to 2,228 of 2228

Thread: 2017-2018 State of Japanese Ladies Skating

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayuki View Post
    I don't think any Japanese ladies' skater is a natural performer, indeed.
    Probably a lot of people would say Marin Honda is. Between the retired skaters, I'd personally say Akiko.
    And while I think I understand what you mean with "natural performer", I'd say others can become just as good, even if it requires more work.

PS: regarding Globetrotters post above, I have to admit I'm surprised anyone would call Yuzuru "Let's go crazy" Hanyu & Shoma "Loco" Uno generally more subtle/less dramatic/not emotionally expressive. I think they are, the most out of the current "top 7" men, even.

Rinkside

4 Not allowed!
    This might have something to do with different cultural preferences. Quoting Mie Hamada:

Hamada: My daughter and my mom perform traditional Japanese dance, with costumes. In our culture, expression is not on the beat, like in Europe or America. Feelings are not outside but inside. Japanese are more calm. Sometimes it's hard to understand when you are not aware of it. Everything comes from the inside. Expression is within yourself; it has to be strong and calm at the same time.
    It's just like a Japanese garden: You don't have huge trees and statues and fountains all over, as you do in Europe; you just have sand, and one stone. Everything is simple but beautiful. That's what I want my skaters to express in their skating: Be clean and calm and strong, so that the audience feels the pure beauty of your skating. Don't get distracted by too many things; just be there.

Source http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/...ics-simplicity

According to this most Japanese people would prefer Mao’s Madame Butterfly to Ashley’s Moulin Rouge for example.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by combinationspin View Post

Hamada: My daughter and my mom perform traditional Japanese dance, with costumes. In our culture, expression is not on the beat, like in Europe or America. Feelings are not outside but inside. Japanese are more calm. Sometimes it's hard to understand when you are not aware of it. Everything comes from the inside. Expression is within yourself; it has to be strong and calm at the same time.
    It's just like a Japanese garden: You don't have huge trees and statues and fountains all over, as you do in Europe; you just have sand, and one stone. Everything is simple but beautiful. That's what I want my skaters to express in their skating: Be clean and calm and strong, so that the audience feels the pure beauty of your skating. Don't get distracted by too many things; just be there.

Source http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/...ics-simplicity
    That explains some things.

4 Not allowed!
    Obviously, Marin Honda is a great one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ2LzgDHxPs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k7kdW2eJ1Q

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    Probably a lot of people would say Marin Honda is. Between the retired skaters, I'd personally say Akiko.
    And while I think I understand what you mean with "natural performer", I'd say others can become just as good, even if it requires more work.

PS: regarding Globetrotters post above, I have to admit I'm surprised anyone would call Yuzuru "Let's go crazy" Hanyu & Shoma "Loco" Uno generally more subtle/less dramatic/not emotionally expressive. I think they are, the most out of the current "top 7" men, even.
    Hmm you have to see the context I wrote that - specifically, it was relative to more dramatic and expressive skaters where I mentioned Jason B and Adam R. May also add Javi F or Misha Ge to it. Neither a Hanyu nor Shoma scores any lower than them in components for having a less dramatic flair relative to the others mentioned, so I am not quite convinced that exuberant expressiveness scores higher.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    i personally think Satoko deserve 34-35 in SP and 70/71 in LP which not far from what she usually getting. Well artistry and stuff are really subjective though. I think its clear that PCS rank from judges

1. Med
    2. Kostner (sometimes higher than Med if she made mistakes like in NHK)
    3. Kaetlyn (one of few skaters that get 36 in SP like in GPF, but she never get above 72 in FS because she always made mistakes in FS)
    4. Zagitova & Miyahara (Zagitova should be much lower but with what judges giving her in GPF... )
    5. Wakaba
    6. Sotskova

usually Sotskova get low PCS but recently its been rising i think she can get 70 soon and overtaking Wakaba.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skatenewbie View Post

1. Med
    2. Kostner (sometimes higher than Med if she made mistakes like in NHK)
    3. Kaetlyn (one of few skaters that get 36 in SP like in GPF, but she never get above 72 in FS because she always made mistakes in FS)
    4. Zagitova & Miyahara (Zagitova should be much lower but with what judges giving her in GPF... )
    5. Wakaba
    6. Sotskova
    What about Gabby Daleman and Ashley Wagner?

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Japanese ladies Nats this week will be a nail biter. Other than Satoko who has the strongest nerves, none of the others are a shoo in. Wakaba potentially can be Oly podium material but is vulnerable under pressure. Mai Mihara is steady and has high scoring potential in the FS but doesn’t have that extra special wow factor that can unlock the judges generosity in PCS. Marin Honda - I just hope she does not become the Anna Kournikova equivalent in FS, so naturally talented, so blessed with the X factor but lacking the discipline and grit that less talented Satoko possesses. Satoko is mentally the most competitive and has the best non jumps and deserving PCS, but vulnerable on small jumps and a harsh panel will pick on anything that looks remotely borderline (as it should be IMO).

May the force be with them.

Page 149 of 149 FirstFirst ... 49 99 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149