2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 74 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance

madison

Record Breaker
Congrats to Skoptsova/Aleshin, Shevchenko/Eremenko and Ushakova/Nekrasov for making the National podium. They were great! :clap:

Ushakova/Nekrasov were for me the surprise of this season, at least in the junior ranks. Their rise has been very remarkable and I`m looking forward to see them develop even further. They are so young (15 and 17) that they could spend the whole next quad in Juniors, but looking how good they already are, I guess we will soon see them in the senior ranks. Even Tarasova seemed to be impressed by them. https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20180126/1131640484.html

I`m a little sad for Polishchuk/Vakhnov, though. It`s the second time in the row, that they miss the Junior Worlds team narrowly (I suppose the Russian Fed will go with the podium). After winning bronze at the JGPF, I thought they and S/A would be both going to Junior Worlds, but it looks like P/V will miss it again.
Tarasova sees the new Grishuk in Ushakova, she likes her exuburence, but I feel that she and Maxim don't gel very well, look at the distance between them when they skate in close holds, for example.

Marta25

Medalist
Tarasova sees the new Grishuk in Ushakova, she likes her exuburence, but I feel that she and Maxim don't gel very well, look at the distance between them when they skate in close holds, for example.

I think skating closer together, posture and polish are things, they have to work on in the future. They have a rather big height difference between them, according to their ISU bio, it`s 28 cm right now. I hope once she grows a little bit more, the close holds in their step sequences will also improve.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
But it does mean there were irregularities. It could be not getting permission for medications or missing a test. Bukin may have felt that some little indiscretion would have been overlooked but the IOC also doing this less than 2 weeks before the games is unfortunate. But at the same time Russia needs a Minister who will control these issues with an iron fist. Their athletes have been permanently tainted bbecause of all this, also the attitude of some of their coaches, doctors and athletes tend to be wanting.
It is also perfectly possible that Bukin simply doesn't know what it was.

Mattieu

Medalist
True as well. But from the looks of things they've decided to put this behind them as best they can and focus on worlds.

It might not be over yet as the Russians filed court cases in Switzerland on behalf of the uninvited (not with CAS actually in the Swiss courts).
Their lawyer says the signs are that there will be good news for them on the 30/31 January.

gmyers

Record Breaker
True as well. But from the looks of things they've decided to put this behind them as best they can and focus on worlds.

Then it’s going to be the Russian Federation that dumps them. They aren’t going to support a team with no Chance at Beijing.

bramweld

Record Breaker
It might not be over yet as the Russians filed court cases in Switzerland on behalf of the uninvited (not with CAS actually in the Swiss courts).
Their lawyer says the signs are that there will be good news for them on the 30/31 January.

They had better because if found guilty they could be banned for longer than they anticipated.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
A few days back there was news that the quotas wouldn't be filled if some teams will not be invited, so is it safe to assume that Z/G will indeed go? If so, then incredible for them. Of course not the circumstances they or anyone else was hoping for, but not long ago people were questioning their decision to compete for Russia, because they would never get to big competition, but life has its ways. If they go, I wish the best for them. :agree:

hanca

Record Breaker
A few days back there was news that the quotas wouldn't be filled if some teams will not be invited, so is it safe to assume that Z/G will indeed go? If so, then incredible for them. Of course not the circumstances they or anyone else was hoping for, but not long ago people were questioning their decision to compete for Russia, because they would never get to big competition, but life has its ways. If they go, I wish the best for them. :agree:

I think it would have been very hard to foresee two or three years ago that three out of Russian four top teams won’t be at the Olympics. Split Ilynikh/Zhuganshin, injury to Sinitsina/Katsalapov and at the same time Stepanova/Bukin not being invited - the odds for three events like this happening at the same time are very low. It is the same as if someone was forecasting two years ago that Shubutanis, Chock/Bates and Hubbell/Donohue will all miss Olympics. The chance of one of them is quite likely because anyone can get injured. But the chance of all three of them missing Olympics is very low.

Barb

Record Breaker
Now Ekaterina looks almost like a lucky girl because her investigation was not at this moment.

gmyers

Record Breaker

It was always smart for z/g to be Russian! With their declining dance program they had much of a chance as anyone and are connected with their pairs and ladies for team events!

Barb

Record Breaker
it seems that Elena I. and Yulia L. have a new academy https://www.instagram.com/p/BesGEAvnjK-/?taken-by=blackswanei
google translate: ¨Dear friends! We invite you to the Academy of Champions Ilyin-Lipnitskaya. We will be glad to see you at our training camps and master classes. @academy_ilinykh_lipnitskaya
The first ACADEMY event will be the training camps, which will be held from March 1 to 25 on the basis of the State Enterprise "Sports Ice Comp¨

bramweld

Record Breaker
it seems that Elena I. and Yulia L. have a new academy https://www.instagram.com/p/BesGEAvnjK-/?taken-by=blackswanei
google translate: ¨Dear friends! We invite you to the Academy of Champions Ilyin-Lipnitskaya. We will be glad to see you at our training camps and master classes. @academy_ilinykh_lipnitskaya
The first ACADEMY event will be the training camps, which will be held from March 1 to 25 on the basis of the State Enterprise "Sports Ice Comp¨

Good for her!!

gmyers

Record Breaker
One more Olympic medal for B/S and they become winningest Russian ice dance team in Olympic history!

NAOTMAA

Medalist
One more Olympic medal for B/S and they become winningest Russian ice dance team in Olympic history!

But Klimova & Ponomarenko already have 3 :cool:

unless they can grab silver or higher then they only tie as K&P have one of every color (B-84, S-88, G-92)

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
We'll have to see what H/D, W/P and C/B come up with in the ID competition, because the scores B/S got were dangerously close to what the Shibs got too. Kind of surprised that they won over them in PCS in the free - what hurt them was the GOE.

gmyers

Record Breaker
But Klimova & Ponomarenko already have 3 :cool:

unless they can grab silver or higher then they only tie as K&P have one of every color (B-84, S-88, G-92)

I knew there was one with 3 already! I looked up U/Z instead of K/P. Interested to see if B/S can tie them.

bramweld

Record Breaker
We'll have to see what H/D, W/P and C/B come up with in the ID competition, because the scores B/S got were dangerously close to what the Shibs got too. Kind of surprised that they won over them in PCS in the free - what hurt them was the GOE.

H/D have that bronze locked provided they stay vertical, if B/S could not beat an uninspired Shibsibs there is no way they're getting another medal. They are just too sloppy and with all my admiration for Borova's grit, she simply has no inner style or polish.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
H/D have that bronze locked provided they stay vertical, if B/S could not beat an uninspired Shibsibs there is no way they're getting another medal. They are just too sloppy and with all my admiration for Borova's grit, she simply has no inner style or polish.

They do like to challenge that, though. And the ID competition will be a different ball game. I expect surprises, tbh. Maybe even in the top two - not the top two in question, but the order people expect them to place.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The team event allowing for ice dancers to win medals 🥇 damages greatly the urgency of reform and everything posted about decline is wrong. If the dancers are winning Olympic medals what’s their problem?