2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 76 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance

gmyers

Record Breaker
1976-2014 medal for Russians!
2018 no medal! Only 5th place.

Catastrophic era officially begins worst time ever in Russian ice dance. No team with any nonteam medal. No world no Olympic.

I hope they embrace ijs now! I hope they send teams to dubreuil. I hope they realize skaters can’t be like bobrova and have bad posture! That they can’t be like Stepanova and not be able to bend their knees!!!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Russia doesn't need to embrace ijs any more than they have now. All the new teams have been making progress with programs that are suited to the cop - even the old teams had. But it's true there needs to be a better care about the technical side more than anything else. Let's be real, Gadbois can produce as many uninspired programs as any other camp, the difference is that they just produce a lot more than other camps, especially for the teams at the top.

I think B/S did what was expected of them. Don't think they got any gifts in scoring, tbh. If the judges wanted they could have wonthe bronze in the SD alone, with all the points chopped off in the review. I'm just happy they skated well, and hopefully they go to Worlds, otherwise Russia will hardly have a chance of making the podium or even trying to gain three spots for the kids coming next year - assuming some top teams will sit out this one.

Also, not medalling in so many disciplines hopefully will make Russia do a 180 in their figure skating programs, or at least work to improve on what they have now. It's clear that having only one coach dominating pairs, no coach to help the men in their consistency and ID camps with weak technical side is a real problem.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Russia doesn't need to embrace ijs any more than they have now. All the new teams have been making progress with programs that are suited to the cop - even the old teams had. But it's true there needs to be a better care about the technical side more than anything else. Let's be real, Gadbois can produce as many uninspired programs as any other camp, the difference is that they just produce a lot more than other camps, especially for the teams at the top.

I think B/S did what was expected of them. Don't think they got any gifts in scoring, tbh. If the judges wanted they could have wonthe bronze in the SD alone, with all the points chopped off in the review. I'm just happy they skated well, and hopefully they go to Worlds, otherwise Russia will hardly have a chance of making the podium or even trying to gain three spots for the kids coming next year - assuming some top teams will sit out this one.

Also, not medalling in so many disciplines hopefully will make Russia do a 180 in their figure skating programs, or at least work to improve on what they have now. It's clear that having only one coach dominating pairs, no coach to help the men in their consistency and ID camps with weak technical side is a real problem.

But if b/s skated well why did they have so many points chopped off in the sd? So they either didn’t skate well or they skated well with low levels that you can blame the coaching for! Their levels in sd were atrocious and horrible. So many level 3s. So I think they didn’t skate well and their coaching is bad. It’s a mixture. Bad skating and bad coaching. I don’t know who to blame exactly. If they think the coaches planned all level 4 elements or they did all level 4 somone is clueless in Seattle!!!

They have not committed to worlds and may not!
https://translate.googleusercontent...700201&usg=ALkJrhgGQLRC264DC8R0pCfVSKz1YQgezw

I hope they don’t got to worlds. I hope the team is z/g and p/m. That’s the real level of Russian ice dance and Russia has to accept it and change everything. They do need ijs training. Coaches say Bukin is in a terrible state. Hates skating completely.

It’s true everything has been bad this Olympics. Bad men bad pairs bad dance. My hope for ladies is collapsing.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
My hope for ladies is collapsing.

Don't despair. I will eat my hat (not literally because my hat is a toque and made of wool) if one of the two Russian ladies don't win. Heck..it could even be a historic sweep of the podium. (but I think Carolina will get in there for the bronze)

gmyers

Record Breaker
Don't despair. I will eat my hat (not literally because my hat is a toque and made of wool) if one of the two Russian ladies don't win. Heck..it could even be a historic sweep of the podium. (but I think Carolina will get in there for the bronze)

Youre probably right!

charlotte14

Medalist
All of this happened thanked to weak adaptation to the new system. But since next season many things will be renewed maybe they can develop some better basics.

gmyers

Record Breaker
All of this happened thanked to weak adaptation to the new system. But since next season many things will be renewed maybe they can develop some better basics.

Hopefully! But do they have the people who know how to develop basics? Or did they all move to United States and Canada?

Mattieu

Medalist
Coaches say Bukin is in a terrible state. Hates skating completely.

I.

Where is your source for this? If he hates skating so much, why was he so incredibly brave and admirable for commenting on the Olympic ice dance on the Russian channels? It takes a lot of guts to comment on programs in the Olympics for a team that replaced you. Chapeau Bukin! :2thumbs:

Mattieu

Medalist
This is a frenchism I do not know. It looks like you are saying "hats Bukin" ..does it mean Hats off to Bukin?

I took french for years at school and I'm still pretty useless at it.

Yes, it means hats off Bukin, well done :thumbsup:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Where is your source for this? If he hates skating so much, why was he so incredibly brave and admirable for commenting on the Olympic ice dance on the Russian channels? It takes a lot of guts to comment on programs in the Olympics for a team that replaced you. Chapeau Bukin! :2thumbs:

Interview with coaches! Guess he’s recovered a little!

“But, unfortunately, CAS came short of hopes, we stay at home. Of course, we are tired of all this humiliation and injustice. We are tired of repeating that figure skating and doping are incompatible, and our Vanya Bukin has never used any illegal medicines. His condition is difficult to describe in words. The guy is very angry because of this injustice. Vanya, who is a bright, kind, positive, open person. This whole story made him more mature, more serious, it’s noticeable.”

Mattieu

Medalist
Interview with coaches! Guess he’s recovered a little!

“But, unfortunately, CAS came short of hopes, we stay at home. Of course, we are tired of all this humiliation and injustice. We are tired of repeating that figure skating and doping are incompatible, and our Vanya Bukin has never used any illegal medicines. His condition is difficult to describe in words. The guy is very angry because of this injustice. Vanya, who is a bright, kind, positive, open person. This whole story made him more mature, more serious, it’s noticeable.”

Forgive me for being naive, but where in this interview does it say Bukin hates skating completely gmyers?

Amei

Record Breaker

The phrasing 'gotta pay the bills' jumped out at me reading this comment.

LadyB

Record Breaker
It’s true everything has been bad this Olympics. Bad men bad pairs bad dance. My hope for ladies is collapsing.

Wow! Where does actually all that rage and aggression come from? Everytime you write something it feels like you're shouting at us. You have a real problem...and as far as the girls are concerned, I think you've lost the plot. :laugh:

LadyB

Record Breaker
If he hates skating so much, why was he so incredibly brave and admirable for commenting on the Olympic ice dance on the Russian channels? It takes a lot of guts to comment on programs in the Olympics for a team that replaced you. Chapeau Bukin! :2thumbs:

The phrasing 'gotta pay the bills' jumped out at me reading this comment.

I think you're both right and there is no contradiction. If I was Bukin, I'd be very hurt indeed. But this is not the Russian audiences and ice dance fans fault and I'd think 'okay, I can't be there and that sucks. At least, let me get some money talking about it.' Btw, I don't think he's particularly hard up moneywise...

gmyers

Record Breaker
Wow! Where does actually all that rage and aggression come from? Everytime you write something it feels like you're shouting at us. You have a real problem...and as far as the girls are concerned, I think you've lost the plot. :laugh:

Rage and aggression? That’s not it and kind of funny.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Rage and aggression? That’s not it and kind of funny.

More to the point, I hear that Bobrova's threatening to come back for the 2019/20 season. When will they stop shoving them down our throats? They are not a good team, they are not a pleasure to watch. Please Russia, please you can do much better than this, please. Another four years of Bobrova would be tantamount to torture.