2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I could be wrong (?) but I don't think any of the junior korean skaters are old enough to go to the olympics - unless you mean someone else - Young, Eunsoo and Yelim are all too young I thought..:scratch2:

Yelim will be 15 in January 23, is that too young? :cry:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I can't think of anyone else who would be sent. :confused:

Hanul Kim finished second in the first qualifying competition and third at the Philadelphia International (she won the free skate there over Bradie Tennell, Angela Wang, Courtney Hicks, etc).

So Hyun An placed third at the Minsk Challenger ahead of Hanul and Nicole Schott. (So Hyun actually won the SP there over Elizabet Tursynbaeva).

I would assume both Hanul & So Hyun are in the mix.

frida80

Record Breaker
Do we have any idea who Korea plans to send to the OG? Do they have two or three spots as the host? Wouldn't it be a big surprise if one of the young Korean girls skates two difficult and clean programs. ;)

Dabin did well enough to earn two spots for ladies at worlds last season. Hopefully, the seniors will step up to the plate soon.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
So Youn landed a clean 3S-3T in practice at NHK Trophy, she had surgery to remove her metal pins from her first surgery at the end of last year and then due to infection she had to have surgery again in October. She was at NHK with 2 weeks of practice. She's a little undertrained and not fully healed yet. I still believe in her, she's simply going through some very unfortunate circumstances, she just needs to get stronger.

Kara

Final Flight
I was depressed about Junhwan so I decided to look at some of the skates from the Gyeonggi-do competition last weekend and saw my newly crowned favorite novice (? maybe not even old enough to be novice, I have no idea) competed and won in a glorious fashion in the D elementary level.:luv17: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUdoDwjmTE

I saw that Yunkyung didn't participate despite Yelim and YY competing which makes me thinks she's still injured...? If anyone has any info on her I'd be grateful.:sad21:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
OMG why? Please don't say she is injured too?!

randomfan

Record Breaker
What terrible timing for the Korean skaters! :sad14: Korea got more GP spots than before but most skaters had to WD. Soyoun from Rostelecom, Nahyun from Skate Canada, and now Jun Hwan and Dabin from Skate America...:slink:

And of course, the home Olympics are right around the corner too. It’s sad to see that in the most important season yet, the Koreans are struggling. Dabin has recently had boot issues and a family crisis, while the others have been injured. :cry:

Skye

On the Ice
Can any Korean skating fans shed some light on what on earth is going on with their top senior skaters? All four skaters invited to the Grand Prix have withdrawn from at least one of their events. Prospects look bleak as injuries just seem to pile up with a couple more Olympic trials coming up soon. Is this just pure coincidence or is there some reason behind these series of misfortune?

Kara

Final Flight
I have a feeling both Dabin and Junhwan withdrew because of the 2nd domestic Olympics qualifying event is starting right after SA.:palmf: If you look at it from their POV, obviously Olympics >>>>>> 1 GP event and I would ditch the GP for it too despite them making me kind of nervous about making it into the team event (but at this point I don't even know if I want Korea to be in the team event at all because EVERYONE is injured :(). Put the blame on the KSF for being ridiculous in their standards for choosing who will go. Average score across 3 domestic competitions while international outings don't count at all lol what a joke.:noshake: They're not even weighing Nationals the most despite it being the last of the 3 and closest to the Olympics so it should be a better indicator of a skater's condition going into the Olympics.:disapp: KSF always testing me.

Ranting aside, they're all pretty much injured. Junhwan had boot problems which led to a bad injury and he's still not recovered, but can't afford to just rest a month. Dabin also had boot problems, small injuries from said boot problems a la Junhwan, and of course the tragedy in her family is probably a factor too. Soyoun is ALSO injured and recently had surgery again. Nahyun is ALSO injured.:sad21: All the silly and extra domestic competitions is not making the situation any better. I want to scream.:sad46:

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
I have a feeling both Dabin and Junhwan withdrew because of the 2nd domestic Olympics qualifying event is starting right after SA.:palmf: If you look at it from their POV, obviously Olympics >>>>>> 1 GP event and I would ditch the GP for it too despite them making me kind of nervous about making it into the team event (but at this point I don't even know if I want Korea to be in the team event at all because EVERYONE is injured :(). Put the blame on the KSF for being ridiculous in their standards for choosing who will go. Average score across 3 domestic competitions while international outings don't count at all lol what a joke.:noshake: They're not even weighing Nationals the most despite it being the last of the 3 and closest to the Olympics so it should be a better indicator of a skater's condition going into the Olympics.:disapp: KSF always testing me.

Ranting aside, they're all pretty much injured. Junhwan had boot problems which led to a bad injury and he's still not recovered, but can't afford to just rest a month. Dabin also had boot problems, small injuries from said boot problems a la Junhwan, and of course the tragedy in her family is probably a factor too. Soyoun is ALSO injured and recently had surgery again. Nahyun is ALSO injured.:sad21: All the silly and extra domestic competitions is not making the situation any better. I want to scream.:sad46:

:palmf: i have to say... international outings doesn’t count is ridiculous, plus 3 domestic competitions? Who on earth have time to do all that, when you have the senior GP to take care of. Their GP result add up to their world ranking, which affect their skating career :slink: I don’t know what I should said to KSF already.

Skye

On the Ice
I have a feeling both Dabin and Junhwan withdrew because of the 2nd domestic Olympics qualifying event is starting right after SA.:palmf: If you look at it from their POV, obviously Olympics >>>>>> 1 GP event and I would ditch the GP for it too

I had no idea that the trials were that close. Now I see why Dabin and Jun suddenly pulled out of Skate America. Shame on KSU, sabotaging their own skaters' chances. :disapp:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Why is everyone injured? Besides crazy amount of competitions. Do they still have such poor training conditions like Yuna had when she was younger? I am gobsmacked if things hasn't changed that much :( Injuries has always been Yuna's biggest vice, and now seems to be a Korean thing. Surely that can't be incidental.