2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating

QuadSal

On the Ice
Hanul Kim has gotten 4th in the Shanghai trophy and impressively is the only one that didn't get any under-rotation call.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Congrats to Young You for winning 2nd ranking competition with huges scores!

Does KSU really need 3 competitions to choose their skaters for OG and next nationals? I mean, half of skaters are injured now, and their injuries can't heal well if they have to take part at so much competitions in short time. Look at Junhwan, poor boy, his chances to go to olympics are almost dead now.

Fortunately for Eunsoo who is also injured, nationals are in more than a month. It's the only selection competition for JWC spots.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
KSU's selection situation has always received a lot of criticism, it was really hard to watch this time around because so many athletes were injured. A bunch of them withdrew from their GPs even though it would be valuable towards earning ranking points for the Team Event. Also, even if they aren't age eligible for the Olympics this competition goes towards deciding the National Team for next season so some of them still competed like Eunsoo Lim, who has a fracture in her right toe. If she had rest time before Nationals it would help her so much but instead her recovery period is cut short because of this ranking competition. I heard Kim/Kam were also sick so they had a rough outing too.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
KSU's selection situation has always received a lot of criticism, it was really hard to watch this time around because so many athletes were injured. A bunch of them withdrew from their GPs even though it would be valuable towards earning ranking points for the Team Event.

If the ladies had competed injured with a low finish on the GP, it could have hurt Korea's ranking points for the Team Event. Eunsoo's junior scores would have been erased. I think it is entirely plausible that Dabin withdrew from SA in order to protect Korea's standings in the team event. Regardless, Korea is in the team event. That is no small achievement. I do hope the Korean Federation will revisit this requirement of three events for the future, and I hope the ISU will revisit its policy of totaling/erasing team points. I also hope Korea's pair and dance team stay healthy. (Do we know if Kim & Kim hope to return for Nationals?)

randomfan

Record Breaker
I’ve always thought that KSU’s selection criteria is so complicated like this only because the Olympics are in South Korea this time around. Everyone wants to go there, so that’s probably why there are so many competitions for the very purpose of making the team.

Then again, I have no idea what the criteria was for Sochi. Yuna was obviously a lock, so did they determine the other two spots just like this? Either way, I’m not a fan of this selction method. It’s way too demanding.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Yuna developed injuries due to overtraining(i think) and ksu's gajillion useless domestic competitions. While domestic training conditions aren't as bad as they were back in yuna's early days, the latter is still obviously wrecking the skaters. shame on them. 3 domestic events are just... i have no words.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
If the ladies had competed injured with a low finish on the GP, it could have hurt Korea's ranking points for the Team Event. Eunsoo's junior scores would have been erased. I think it is entirely plausible that Dabin withdrew from SA in order to protect Korea's standings in the team event. Regardless, Korea is in the team event. That is no small achievement. I do hope the Korean Federation will revisit this requirement of three events for the future, and I hope the ISU will revisit its policy of totaling/erasing team points. I also hope Korea's pair and dance team stay healthy. (Do we know if Kim & Kim hope to return for Nationals?)

Kim/Kam have to return to Nationals as far as I know, the domestic competitions seem to be necessary. They only seem to have colds so I think they will be fine, but these domestic competitions don't really give these skaters any rest time and Kim/Kam have to travel from Montreal.

I remember after 2014 Worlds everyone talked about how is So Youn was nurtured carefully she could be a threat in 2018 but unfortunately that's not the case. If she had adequate time to rest properly after her surgeries she would probably be in a much better place than she is now. Shame on the KSU.

Kara

Final Flight
Me at KSU 24/7: :dev2::hpull:

It seems like it's getting pretty clear who the frontrunners are for the Olympic spots. I'm sad for Junhwan, but he is young and Junehyeong has been really proving himself this season and I LOVE his long program. I also just want everyone injured to rest up and feel better. It's heartbreaking to see every single news about them be bad.:(

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Kim/Kam have to return to Nationals as far as I know, the domestic competitions seem to be necessary. They only seem to have colds so I think they will be fine, but these domestic competitions don't really give these skaters any rest time and Kim/Kam have to travel from Montreal.

Yes, but I wasn't asking about Kim & Kam.

I was asking about Kim & Kim, who competed for the pairs spot at Nebelhorn and earned team points last season at Junior Worlds/4CCs. They looked to be dealing with an injury at Nebelhorn, and now they did not attend this selection competition. So perhaps they are done as a team completely? Or perhaps they hope to still compete in the future but are out with injury &, therefore, likely out of the Olympic race?

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Yes, but I wasn't asking about Kim & Kam.

I was asking about Kim & Kim, who competed for the pairs spot at Nebelhorn and earned team points last season at Junior Worlds/4CCs. They looked to be dealing with an injury at Nebelhorn, and now they did not attend this selection competition. So perhaps they are done as a team completely? Or perhaps they hope to still compete in the future but are out with injury &, therefore, likely out of the Olympic race?

They weren't at the ranking competition which is apparently vital for selection so even if they come back later they are not eligible apparently. Korean media says after their disappointment earlier in the season they have split. No other news on their status.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Me at KSU 24/7: :dev2::hpull:

It seems like it's getting pretty clear who the frontrunners are for the Olympic spots. I'm sad for Junhwan, but he is young and Junehyeong has been really proving himself this season and I LOVE his long program. I also just want everyone injured to rest up and feel better. It's heartbreaking to see every single news about them be bad.:(

Who? For the senior ladies? I still don't get it. Dabin (praying she heals soon!!), OK, but who else?

skatenewbie

Medalist
It's sad that Dabin got injury so she could not get that momentum finishing Top 10 in Worlds. She actually can be a threat, she almost scored 130 in FP can get decent SP scores too :(

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
The fight for JW spots is fire! Solids skates for Young, Eunsoo and Yelim. Young beats a clean Eunsoo by more than 3 points!
A shame that these 3 are too young for olympics.

It will be likely Dabin, Hanul and Junehyoung at olympics. Soyoun and Junhwan need a crash from Hanul and Junehyoung to close that 20 points gap on total ranking points.

Warwick360

Medalist
The fight for JW spots is fire! Solids skates for Young, Eunsoo and Yelim. Young beats a clean Eunsoo by more than 3 points!
A shame that these 3 are too young for olympics.

Did Young manage to actually get rotations? I ask because in the whole season, her jumps have been a UR mess.