2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Dabin needs more speed and more personality on ice.

Probably. But she's already a much better performer than she was two seasons ago in juniors. I'm glad to see that improvement and to see her healthy.

Dabin's advantage, when healthy, is still the same. She's a rock. It's something you should never underestimate. She doesn't come on full of flash & fire. She creeps up on the field because she's steady. She has skated more clean FD performances in the last three years than maybe anyone I can think of beyond Medvedeva, Miyahara, and Zagitova.

annemn

Rinkside
Also YY was in Taiwan and in the audience for 4CC! I hope seeing all those high level skaters will have a good influence on her. She mentioned in her Instagram that Jason really impressed her.:)

Agreed - it was awesome to see her in the audience cheering everyone on! And her Insta story and selfie with Jason were so cute. :)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
The fact that she tends to skate clean and yet does not have superb results yet worries me. That's why I think she needs some "it" factor. Skaters like Anna P., Osmond don't need to skate clean to reach podium. Not denying she is the best Korea senior lady right now

Probably. But she's already a much better performer than she was two seasons ago in juniors. I'm glad to see that improvement and to see her healthy.

Dabin's advantage, when healthy, is still the same. She's a rock. It's something you should never underestimate. She doesn't come on full of flash & fire. She creeps up on the field because she's steady. She has skated more clean FD performances in the last three years than maybe anyone I can think of beyond Medvedeva, Miyahara, and Zagitova.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
The fact that she tends to skate clean and yet does not have superb results yet worries me. That's why I think she needs some "it" factor. Skaters like Anna P., Osmond don't need to skate clean to reach podium. Not denying she is the best Korea senior lady right now
"It" factor helps, but right now what will help her a lot more... is improving her components (especially skating skills and speed, more difficult and varied transitions, etc)... and ticking more GoE boxes on her jumps/elements. Easier said than done, while still trying to deliver clean skates...

breadstal

Record Breaker
Ok, so competitions are over and there's only Gala left; Kim/Kam, Min/Gamelin, Junhwan and Dabin all will be there! I would say it was pretty good Olympics for South Korea. Qualifying for Team event is quite an achievement for me itself. Ladies for sure delivered, especially Dabin who smashed all her records and finished event in Top 10 at 8th position. Hanul did very good well, with her not having much experience and it being her first season in seniors! That's a bit of a shame now about her SP (she was 21st in it) but pull out a big comeback and skated 10th best skate of the night, finishing 13th overall with PBs in free and total score.

I'm really proud of Jun, he had such a tough season with all these injuries :cry: I'm sure we all expected better results and him as well but after all of this to put three respectable programs with all these expectations says a lot about him, he still got all his PBs in men's event. I can't wait for Junior Worlds, go for it Jun :luv17:

Sadly, Kim/ Kam didn't put a performance they wanted to and I'm sure they were disappointed but how they did in short even if it would be tough anyway for them to get into free skates :( But Alex at least become viral :agree: In Ice Dance, Gamelin/ Min truly did everything they could and you could see that, I was touched by their efforts. Them qualifying to free with Yura's costume problems (I was so stressed out watching that....) and pulling off two good programs was great to see.

Ladies' singles: Choi Dabin- SP: 67.77 (PB) (8th), FS: 131.49 (PB) (8th), Overall: (PB) 199.26 (7th) and Hanul Kim- SP: 54.33 (21st), FS: 121.38 (PB) (10th), Overall: 175.71 (PB) (13rd).

Men's singles: Cha Junhwan- SP: 83.43 (PB) (15th), FS: 165.16 (PB) (14th), Overall: 248.59 (PB) (15th)

Ice dancing: Yura Min/ Alex Gamelin: SD: 61.22 (16th), FD: 86.52 (19th), Overall: 147.74 (18th).

Pairs skating: Kim Kyu-eun / Alex Kang-chan Kam SP: 42.93 (22nd) FP: did not advance, Overall: 42.93 (22nd)

Team Event: SP: Men (Cha Junhwan) 77.70 (6th), Pairs (Kim/Kam) 52.10 (10th), Ice dancing (Min/Gamelin) 51.97 (9th), Ladies (Choi Dabin) 65.73 (6th). FS: did not advance, Overall: 9th

*sorry for any mistakes :pray:

annemn

Rinkside
Ok, so competitions are over and there's only Gala left; Kim/Kam, Min/Gamelin, Junhwan and Dabin all will be there! I would say it was pretty good Olympics for South Korea. Qualifying for Team event is quite an achievement for me itself. Ladies for sure delivered, especially Dabin who smashed all her records and finished event in Top 10 at 8th position. Hanul did very good well, with her not having much experience and it being her first season in seniors! That's a bit of a shame now about her SP (she was 21st in it) but pull out a big comeback and skated 10th best skate of the night, finishing 13th overall with PBs in free and total score.

I'm really proud of Jun, he had such a tough season with all these injuries :cry: I'm sure we all expected better results and him as well but after all of this to put three respectable programs with all these expectations says a lot about him, he still got all his PBs in men's event. I can't wait for Junior Worlds, go for it Jun :luv17:

Sadly, Kim/ Kam didn't put a performance they wanted to and I'm sure they were disappointed but how they did in short even if it would be tough anyway for them to get into free skates :( But Alex at least become viral :agree: In Ice Dance, Gamelin/ Min truly did everything they could and you could see that, I was touched by their efforts. Them qualifying to free with Yura's costume problems (I was so stressed out watching that....) and pulling off two good programs was great to see.

Ladies' singles: Choi Dabin- SP: 67.77 (PB) (8th), FS: 131.49 (PB) (8th), Overall: (PB) 199.26 (7th) and Hanul Kim- SP: 54.33 (21st), FS: 121.38 (PB) (10th), Overall: 175.71 (PB) (13rd).

Men's singles: Cha Junhwan- SP: 83.43 (PB) (15th), FS: 165.16 (PB) (14th), Overall: 248.59 (PB) (15th)

Ice dancing: Yura Min/ Alex Gamelin: SD: 61.22 (16th), FD: 86.52 (19th), Overall: 147.74 (18th).

Pairs skating: Kim Kyu-eun / Alex Kang-chan Kam SP: 42.93 (22nd) FP: did not advance, Overall: 42.93 (22nd)

Team Event: SP: Men (Cha Junhwan) 77.70 (6th), Pairs (Kim/Kam) 52.10 (10th), Ice dancing (Min/Gamelin) 51.97 (9th), Ladies (Choi Dabin) 65.73 (6th). FS: did not advance, Overall: 9th

*sorry for any mistakes :pray:

Thanks for putting all of this info together in one place! And agreed - I was absolutely thrilled with how well, overall, our Korean athletes did! The crowd at each event was so supportive of the home team and I was very touched by that. :luv17: The ladies did so well, and I'm so pleased that everyone was able to pull off programs to be proud of with the pressure of a home crowd weighing on them.

I was especially excited to see the younger Korean ladies (Eunsoo and Young) incorporated into the Gala. A lovely nod to the next generation of figure skating in Korea - I'm also very much looking forward to Junior worlds, breadstal!

Skye

On the Ice
Very nice summary. Jun-hwan is no longer listed to compete at Junior Worlds. (Very long & crowded season for him so not too startling).

Ohhh smart move, I approve. :agree: While it was great to see Jun and Dabin perform so well in front of the home crowd, still sad when I think about the injuries that held them back throughout the long long long season (Olympic qualifiers starting in July, how dumb is that :disapp:) and still mad at KSF :dev2: for making them withdraw from Skate America.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Cha's season's best score is top 24 right now so he is in pretty good shape for the GP next season.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Seriously, so annoying how they score Korean girls, if they were from bigger federation they for sure would be scored higher. Not saying they should get candies but Eunsoo getting lower PCS than some other girls (won't shout names, no need for it) is funny and it's just one example of ISU wrongdoings. Still, two JWs Top 5 finishes for Eunsoo! Sad for Young :( Still it's her debut season and her coaching situation is uclear. I hoped for 3 spots for Worlds so it's a shame but maybe next year.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Eunsoo Lim is such a beautiful skater. Her jumps are spectacular and her ss and spins are improving. I agree she should have scored and placed higher, at least 4th place. She will move up to seniors next year, right? Anyone noticed she does not look happy in this competition, even before she skated?

Kara

Final Flight
I agre hippomoomin. I was actually worried about her status because I didn't see her in photos with YY, Sihyeong, and Younghyun leaving from Incheon airport or see her cheering for the boys during the SP.

I'm just frustrated that they were so close. Get Eunsoo a foreign coach. She has everything to make her a star, but the constant dropping of levels in spins and steps is killing her scores. If she didn't get the V on her spin in her SP she might have ended up as 4th (and I strongly believe she should have anyway). I want a foreign coach for her as that seems to only way judges won't constantly lowball them, but also because she REALLY needs to improve on SS which seems like the main factor for PCS.:/ It's not even like there are coaches who can't teach them domestically as I was recently impressed with this girl (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUCW2K5yd98). Anyway, something needs to change as I don't feel the improvement there even if I still love her, but it's her innate qualities that I'm still in love with. Also, she needs programs with more transitions in this transition world. I feel like she can handle more complex things and she did with that transition into the 2A+3T in her free (which was a beauty) as she definitely has improved on her step sequences so I want her coaching staff to challenge her even more! I want to see her in seniors next year too.

As for YY, I'm sad for her as she's probably beating herself up over it and I think she might have been shocked with her scores esp for the SP as to how different they were, but I sort of saw it coming with how they ignored URs in her free at nationals. I don't agree that she always URs, but the domestic judges are lenient with her.

On a side note, I miss Yunkyung so much.šŸ˜­ How is she?

skatenewbie

Medalist
On a bright side we have 2 spot in each JGP for ladies! Hopefully each girls can shine now. Yelim, You, Yunkyung (is her injury already healed?) also will Eunsoo move up next season? She's not guaranteed any GP though but might get 1 from retiring skater spot etc...

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I think Eunsoo should move up, she's beaten all of the senior eligible ladies domestically before so why not? Purposely holding back skaters in juniors has never really helped anyone. She needs to get used to skating senior programs in competition, work up the stamina to skate clean 4 minute programs instead of junior programs. She's only 33 on the SB list right now which isn't very optimistic but I think she could still do Challengers, looking at last year's SB list and they were some ladies even lower who got 1 GP. If she transitions well she could eventually go to 4CC and maybe even Worlds which would help her gain valuable experience.