2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
No, she needs top 10. While she skates very good frees, I think it's a little doubtful. But she can do it.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Dabin has withdrawn because of her boot has basically broken. I now feel like a huge prick for acting like an armchair coach.:( I wish her luck and hope she doesn't feel too down about it. This worlds has not been kind to team Korea at all..:sad21:

Do skaters not bring backup boots?

QuadSal

On the Ice
Skaters may not to be able to afford many pairs of skates at one time and potential baggage restrictions such as weight may prevent skaters bringing another pair.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
You can always check in bags...

Seems easily avoidable situation. Would've thought skaters prepare backups for big competitions.

TeeSaurus

Rinkside
With Dabin withdrawn, does that mean that Kim Hanul would have to place at least 12th in the free skate for Korea to keep two spots? Would be a realy pity if there was only 1 next year…

TeeSaurus

Rinkside
Top 10? I thought that anyone who qualifies for free skate would count as 16th so she should only need to be 12th to total 28?

I interpreted the rules (only from Wikipedia, I have to admit) same as you. Korea has 2 spots this season, Choi qualified for the FS but ranked lower than 17th, so she gets 16 placement points. So to not have 28 placement points or more Kim would need to be in 12th place or better.
And sorry for asking the same question as you - I didn’t see it before. :)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I interpreted the rules (only from Wikipedia, I have to admit) same as you. Korea has 2 spots this season, Choi qualified for the FS but ranked lower than 17th, so she gets 16 placement points. So to not have 28 placement points or more Kim would need to be in 12th place or better.
And sorry for asking the same question as you - I didn’t see it before. :)

i thought the same at 1st but when you see the results after a competition, when a skater WD it says WD not the placement after SP or anything, and now i am confused and hoping you are right since top 12 is more doable than top 10 :slink:

Izabela

On the Ice
*cries* Only one spot for South Korea. Honestly this Worlds was so unpredictable. You get to be happy for the Japanese skaters and then sad for SK skaters. And then it happens when Eun-Soo can compete in the Senior circuit. *cries some more*

breadstal

Record Breaker
Nooo, what a shame to only have 1 spot for Korean girls :sad21: Hanul did fine job, I bet she was nervous but I'm so sad for Dabin, I can't believe she didn't have another skates and had to withdraw like that. Next year is going to be tough :drama:

Hailey Shin

Medalist
I think it's time to see which girls have the possibilities for upcoming junior grand prix to represent Korea. Who's next? :yahoo:

So I found some skaters who are very likely to fill the spots, which are 14, just like last season. So KSU decided to give it as 2 tickets for each 5 skaters, and 1 for each 4 skaters. (It means total 9 skaters got the chance for ISU jr events last season. They were all being selected at JGP selection event which usually held at late July to early August.) And I think it might be the same for this season again. So I made a list for possible 16 skaters to hop on the team.

*NOTE: I tried to write this thing as objective and gentle as I can, but maybe some of you will not fully satisfy for what I wrote about some skaters, but I do not have any mean intention to all of them so plz just see this as fun :pray:
*NOTE2: the Nationals were at early January, and the Winter Festival Competition were right after the Nationals.

First, we already have some knowned skaters who will meet their second (or third) JGP seasons. :laugh:

(1) Young You
-Born: 27. 05. 2004 / 13 y.o.
-Recent Competition: 2018 JWC, SP FS
-She has some decent skills and presents on ice, and made some enjoyable programs. But IMO she's not the kind of very consistent skater. Maybe it was because her first season for junior, so we have to see and wait how she will do this year. I guess she will take two tickets easily.
-Expected: 2 tickets

(2) Yelim Kim
-Born: 23. 01. 2003 / 15 y.o.
-Recent Competition: Winter Festival Competition (domestic), SP FS
-She has some nice jumps, including backloading and rippon tanos. Also there are very nice flows in her jumps. She has the potential to be medaled but she did not make the results yet. It might get her back to junior competitions instead of senior challengers. She is very consistent skater esp at domestic competitions, so she may win the JGP selection event again (like last season).

(3) Hanul Kim
-Born: 11. 04. 2002 / 15 y.o.
-Recent Competition: 2018 WC (all blocked now:sad21:, So this is her 2018 PC Olympics vids SP FS)
-She gained international popularities since she competed both Olympics and Worlds. She made decent results at Worlds this season(15th place), but unless she got invited for senior grand prix for upcoming season(and it has low chance as I know?), she may get back to juniors again. Or she can go to senior challengers, instead of JGP, and it depends on her choice. But if Hanul decides to go back to junior circuit, then she will def get two tickets here.

(4) Ji hun To
-Born: 11. 08. 2003 / 14 y.o.
-She is able to do 3Lz-3T and nice 3F-3T. Also her 2A-3T is great and her spins usually got level 4. But her main thing is def her presentation skills. She has lovely lines throughout the program(esp arms), and wonderful facial expression for her age. But she is very inconsistent skater compared to her domestic rivals, and it made her to get just one jgp ticket last season.(and she was also inconsistent there..) I hope this time she can change herself and get two tickets. Little doubt, but I know she can.
-Expected: 1-2 tickets

(5) Yunkyung Kam
-Born: 30. 04. 2004 / 13 y.o.
-Recent Competition: 2017 JGP selection events (domestic)(it's almost a year ago:slink:), SP FS
-Oh my how I miss her... :sad21: She has really great jump skills and good flows, lovely and consistent 3Lz-3T, and her spins are just as great. However she had very significant injuries last season just after JGP selctions, and she just skipped the whole season. I heard that Yunkyung is now on ice for training since last month, so we will see how she can go up like last season. Miss her last season's programs(esp the beauty and the beast), so I just personally hope her to bring them again. (they are only being used once at that selection event! omg what a waste..)

(6) Hyun soo Lee
-Born: 01. 07. 2002 / 15 y.o.
-Yes you can see at her birth date, she just missed the home olympics due to one day. :p Anyway she did quite nice at last season's jgp selections and got two tickets. Maybe she can do that again? She has very nice 2A-3T, and performs it two times at her free skating. Not yet consistent 3-3 she has. She usually did one or two mistakes at her free skating. If she wants two jgp this time again, then she may not forgive any mistakes at selections.
-Expected: 1-2 tickets.

(7) Sohyun An
-Born: 28. 12. 2001 / 16 y.o.
-Like Hanul, she may not appear to jgp selections and just go for senior challengers, but if she decides to do jgp again, then she is also one of a contender for jgp tickets. She sometimes has a under-rotation problems when she jumps, but sometimes not, so we have to see. She medaled bronze at Ice Stars(challenger event) at senior ladies category last season.
-Expected: 1-2 tickets.

And there are new faces who also expected to have a chance to grab two(or one) tickets.:love:

(8) Hae in Lee (*debut season)
-Born: 16. 04. 2005 / 12 y.o.
-Recent Competition: Winter Festival Competition (domestic), SP(this is her 2018 Nationals performance, and the sound is partially mute due to youtube policy) FS
-She finally has the chance to debut as internationally. She showed quite good consistency in domestic competitions, including 3Lz-3T and 3-1-3. She recently moved to coach Chi(former coach of Dabin Choi and current coach of Eunsoo Lim and Soyoun Park), to prepare her upcoming junior season. Her jumps are already effortless and looked good, but maybe coach Chi(who can teach jumps surely) can help her jumps to be better, like Eunsoo's.

(9) Seo young Wee (*debut season) (It might be Wi instead of Wee)
-Born: 15. 03. 2005 / 13 y.o.
-She is quite consistent skater with 3Lz-3T and 2A-3T. And also very good and centered spinner, some of them reminds me of Yunkyung's. She earned Junior National title at 2018 Nationals with very big margin. She's lack of skating skills and presentation a bit, but if she continues to keep going with her consistent jumps, then she also can challenge for two spots for JGP next season.

(10) Seung been Yu (*debut season)
-Born: 07. 09. 2004 / 13 y.o.
-Very inconsistent skater so I can't predict how she will perform at jgp selections. She has 3Lz-2T (not 3T yet) and 2A-3T but they are also inconsistent. She is very elegant and artistic skater, capable of using arms and shoulders.(Loved her FS from last season, Reflection!) She is also coached by coach Chi(yes, she teaches many good talents), and this fact makes me to think about Soyoun and Seung been's similarity in some aspects..
-Expected: 0-1 ticket

And for the last, there are some other skaters who aim for 1 ticket.:biggrin:

(11) Su been Jeon
-Born: 30. 05. 2003 / 14 y.o.
-Recent Competition: 2018 Nationals SP FS
-Decent skater with decent tecniques, even though she does not have 3-3 yet. She got 1 jgp last season and was in top 10 at that event(JGP Brisbane). Also she medaled silver at Canada Autumn classic international's junior ladies category last season.

(12) Eun bi Ko
-Born: 07. 03. 2003 / 15 y.o.
-Not a good or big jumper, but at last season's jgp selction event, she was a winner and took a ticket. As the results, she got the chance to perform at jgp Brisbane and did good there and also placed in top 10 with Su been. But she had rough time at the end of the season and totally ruined 2018 (senior) Nationals short program and couldn't advance to the free. Also shown a bad performance at Winter Festival Comp. Could she revenge and soar again?

(13) So eun Choi
-Born: 11. 05. 2004 / 13 y.o.
-She has quite good consistency at her jumps throughout the programs. Performance-wise, also not bad. She needs clean programs at selction events to get a ticket for the upcoming jgp.

(14) Hyun soo Choi
-Born: 16. 12. 2003 / 14 y.o.
-Recent Competition: 2018 Nationals, SP FS
-No 3-3, but nice performer on ice. She is a small skater but she has various personalities on ice. Sometimes she is so cute and lovely and sometimes she is very charismatic.

(15) Bo young Kim
-Born: 02. 10. 2002 / 15 y.o.
-Recent Competition: 2018 Nationals, but she did not advanced free skating there, so this is 2017 Ranking Competitions' vids a month before Nationals. SP FS
-She bombed at last season's jgp selections. That might be the hardest moment to her... and broken heart. She can jump quite big 3S-3T. (and it gets consistent)

(16) Chae eun Noh
-Born: ?. ?. 2004
-Recent Competition: 2018 Nationals, SP FS
-She can jump consistent 3T-3T, but weakness was 3F as I remember? (okay it maybe 3Lz, I forgot..) She just missed a jgp ticket last season, but I hope she can grab it this time. Last season she medaled bronze at Asian Trophy Ad.Novice category with Alysa Liu(silver).

There will be more skaters to compete at JGP selections this summer, but I will end this post here :cool: I hope my analyzation can help you to enjoy the upcoming JGP selections:p

Izabela

On the Ice
Great compilation Hailey! Can we make this the OP for the 2018-2019 State of SK figure skating since others already started for the upcoming season thread?