2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Russia and its former title of Unified Team and Soviet Union has been traditionally a powerhouse. Usually at least one team is in the gold medal hunt. What are your thoughts?

I will start.

First, it is rare but such is the case that we don't have a solid Russian contender. Right now we don't know if V and T will come back and if so are they able to get into competitive shape.

Second, after two rough years and injuries among other issues are Stolbova and Klimov finished? No longer medal threats?

Third, are the rather perfunctory but solid Tarasova and Morozov have enough mojo so to speak to play with the big boys and girls?

Fourth if V and T don't come back who is the third Russian team?

Fifth, while I am not hopeful at the very least I would like to see Smirnov and Kavaguti to go to the olympics and skate their best. What a hard luck team. I actually believe Kavaguti is just as tough if not moreso than Savchenko - Savchenko has just had more luck.

Russia certainly does not look like it is in its best shape for the olympics but they still are a medal threat - probably not gold and probably improved with Duhamel and Radford's situation - his injury. But you never know a revived V and T or S and K could beat the Germans and Chinese who appear to be the faves.

gmyers

Record Breaker
No doubt that s/k were so bad and awful in worlds short program but did rebound pretty spectacularly in the long program. So if they can get the throw jumps settled they can still contend.

Tarasova Morozov did so many clean short programs and need improvement in long program stamina I guess. They also no doubt need so much better choreo and music and clear identity. They also need to commit to quad twist. They just do way too much "'maybe maybe not we don't know we have to feel like it!" Whatever! Do it or drop it!!!

Trankov always has a tone of a retired skater! Then he said in an interview he isn't going to train as long as it's possible Mclaren report may lead to Russia being banned?! That's what he said! Trankov said not worth training right now because russsia may be banned! Pls don't delete that! That's trankov pov!

evangeline

Record Breaker
Tarasova/Morozov are GPF Champions, European Champions, and World bronze medalists this season despite skating to a truly awful LP that does them ZERO favors (and Tarasova being injured at Worlds). If they're healthy and can get some decent choreography next season, I don't see why they can't comfortably contend with the top teams. Gmyers is correct about their stamina problems in the LP, though--their final lifts often look so ragged and it's just not a great impression to end a performance on.

I'd be VERY surprised if Volosozhar/Trankov come back. They seem perfectly happy raising their baby and given that they've won everything already, I'd imagine it's difficult to get that fire under their bellies again.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Tarasova/Morozov are GPF Champions, European Champions, and World bronze medalists this season despite skating to a truly awful LP that does them ZERO favors (and Tarasova being injured at Worlds). If they're healthy and can get some decent choreography next season, I don't see why they can't comfortably contend with the top teams. Gmyers is correct about their stamina problems in the LP, though--their final lifts often look so ragged and it's just not a great impression to end a performance on.

I'd be VERY surprised if Volosozhar/Trankov come back. They seem perfectly happy raising their baby and given that they've won everything already, I'd imagine it's difficult to get that fire under their bellies again.

Totally right! T/M can medal they just need to make a lot of improvements in the off seasons. Maybe refinements is a better word. If not for v/t delaying their retirement announcement everyone could stop talking about them and put more emphasis on number one team outside Russia t/m and number one team inside Russia s/k.

Last edited:

tennisguy

Rinkside

Yes, they won those events but their wins were not convincing. They didn't make a statement in winning either event just simply they finished first. That being said they have amazing technique on their elements and have for a number of years now but they need the full package. The programs didn't do them any favours this season but they also don't have a personality on the ice - compared to say Stolbova/Klimov - and I think Duhamel/Radford, Stolbova/Klimov, and a few others could finish ahead of them if they don't do something to make themselves more engaging.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yes, they won those events but their wins were not convincing. They didn't make a statement in winning either event just simply they finished first. That being said they have amazing technique on their elements and have for a number of years now but they need the full package. The programs didn't do them any favours this season but they also don't have a personality on the ice - compared to say Stolbova/Klimov - and I think Duhamel/Radford, Stolbova/Klimov, and a few others could finish ahead of them if they don't do something to make themselves more engaging.

What "statement" were they supposed to make? :confused: The Euros competition was fantastic, all the medalists brought it, so I think they proved themselves there, absolutely. Sure they need a better LP, but there is nothing wrong with the SP. Plenty of pairs had crappy LPs this season, all that schmaltzy romantic slush - only Savchenko/Massot really pulled it off well (and I didn't even like their LP, but I know I'm in the minority). I'm not even a huge T/M fan, but the hyperbole when it comes to them is so tiring. They are still young and growing. And I think they have more personality than a lot of other pairs like Zabijako/Enbert or even D/R...what is their personality exactly? On ice, I mean.

tennisguy

Rinkside
What "statement" were they supposed to make? :confused: The Euros competition was fantastic, all the medalists brought it, so I think they proved themselves there, absolutely. Sure they need a better LP, but there is nothing wrong with the SP. Plenty of pairs had crappy LPs this season, all that schmaltzy romantic slush - only Savchenko/Massot really pulled it off well (and I didn't even like their LP, but I know I'm in the minority). I'm not even a huge T/M fan, but the hyperbole when it comes to them is so tiring. They are still young and growing. And I think they have more personality than a lot of other pairs like Zabijako/Enbert or even D/R...what is their personality exactly? On ice, I mean.

Well, skating a memorable program would have been a good start but also showing that they want it. They just too reserved and I feel like the errors that creep in, particularly in the free skate, are a sign of their cautiousness. I want more. Now Zabijako/Enbert are not exactly a team that I would be comparing Tarasova/Morozov to - clearly not in the same league at this point. Tarasova/Morozov are one of maybe almost 8 or 9 pairs that might be in the hunt for an Olympic medal (so early at this point that I'm expanding the field) but to this point I don't feel they've done anything to really put themselves in the spotlight.

janav

On the Ice
Well, skating a memorable program would have been a good start but also showing that they want it. They just too reserved and I feel like the errors that creep in, particularly in the free skate, are a sign of their cautiousness. I want more. Now Zabijako/Enbert are not exactly a team that I would be comparing Tarasova/Morozov to - clearly not in the same league at this point. Tarasova/Morozov are one of maybe almost 8 or 9 pairs that might be in the hunt for an Olympic medal (so early at this point that I'm expanding the field) but to this point I don't feel they've done anything to really put themselves in the spotlight.

Define memorable. Seeing as everyone has a lot of opinions about that FS, I'd say it was memorable ;). Sure, I assume you mean memorable in the sense of Sui/Han but go check some of the pre-Lori programs, not all of them are the stuff of dreams. Also, saying that they 'should show that they want it'? Gee, I don't know, do athletes train all these hours because they don't want it?

LRK

Record Breaker
Define memorable. Seeing as everyone has a lot of opinions about that FS, I'd say it was memorable ;). Sure, I assume you mean memorable in the sense of Sui/Han but go check some of the pre-Lori programs, not all of them are the stuff of dreams. Also, saying that they 'should show that they want it'? Gee, I don't know, do athletes train all these hours because they don't want it?

Agreed. And doesn't skating with 10-14 stitches in your leg qualify as "showing that you want it"?

As for the long program - I didn't love it, but I also didn't hate it. At least it didn't put me to sleep.;) The short I loved, however, and since Tchernyshev is doing both their programs next year, I think that's a hopeful sign.

tennisguy

Rinkside
Certainly, it is an individual thing. I just haven't seen a program from them that will stick with me other than how terrible the music choices were this season. As for showing that they want it - just because someone works at something doesn't mean that their really committed to it - they could be doing it because they were told to do it - lots of athletes do it because they were told to and they don't even enjoy it. I don't know the skaters, all I can judge them from is their performances on the ice and to this point of their careers they haven't shown the emotion or a connection to their programs that draws me in and makes me cheer for them.
Agreed. And doesn't skating with 10-14 stitches in your leg qualify as "showing that you want it"?

As for the long program - I didn't love it, but I also didn't hate it. At least it didn't put me to sleep.;) The short I loved, however, and since Tchernyshev is doing both their programs next year, I think that's a hopeful sign.
I'm hopeful that we'll see a classic Russian look for these skaters - maybe with a modern touch - because, as I've said, they have great elements - a great base to build from.

noskates

Record Breaker
I sort of find Morosov and Tarasova boring - to be honest. I don't think they have the flair and charisma that most previous Russian pairs have. I find myself thinking about something else or picking up a book when they skate. Possibly it's the choreography as some have addressed. You can have all the talent in the world but if your presentation is ho hum.....

gmyers

Record Breaker
I sort of find Morosov and Tarasova boring - to be honest. I don't think they have the flair and charisma that most previous Russian pairs have. I find myself thinking about something else or picking up a book when they skate. Possibly it's the choreography as some have addressed. You can have all the talent in the world but if your presentation is ho hum.....
Valiva and vasiliev and totmianina and marinan got similar criticism sometimes.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Yes but before those titles they were called very boring

Oh, I totally was agreeing with you. My point was that being regarded as boring does not appear to be an insurmountable obstacle to being World and Olympic champions.

Anyway, I feel Tarasova/Morosov are taking the right steps by hiring Tchernyshev for choreography next season. If he could give T/M a LP even half as good as his Clair de Lune LP for Kavaguti/Smirnov, that alone would be a huge improvement.

hanca

Record Breaker
Oh, I totally was agreeing with you. My point was that being regarded as boring does not appear to be an insurmountable obstacle to being World and Olympic champions.

Anyway, I feel Tarasova/Morosov are taking the right steps by hiring Tchernyshev for choreography next season. If he could give T/M a LP even half as good as his Clair de Lune LP for Kavaguti/Smirnov, that alone would be a huge improvement.

If we look at Stolbova/Klimov in the season before the last Olympics, they were in much worse position that Tarasova/Morozov is now, and yet they managed to get silver at the Olympics. So there is no point of worrying about T/M. I think they have done better than expected this season, winning GPF and Europeans and getting bronze at worlds. They will have to show that they can deliver when it counts, under enormous pressure. I think there is several top pairs at approximately the same level and who delivers on the day will get the medal, so it is all available for grab, if a pair have it in them.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I really liked S/K's LP this season. Last season was an absolute dirge but this year was interesting and the movements almost felt avant garde. I wish they had had more mileage on it. Not to mention it allowed them to have that amazing comeback at Worlds, pulling up to 5th! Starting to like these two again and hopefully they come up with stellar programs to make the Olympic medal race more interesting.

I would love to see better programs for T/M - excellent elements but the it factor isn't quite there in spite of an excellent season. Some of their scores I don't quite get given the cheesiness of their programs but they were one of the most consistent teams and showed great resilience and momentum after Skate America.

andromache

Record Breaker

Thank god. He's the best choreographer in Russia. And obviously, whoever in Mozer's camp has been doing their work thus far isn't inspired by them.

In general, they're more consistent across two programs than any other pair - Aliona two-foots those throws, and Queen Sui falls on the salchows.

T/M are a real threat for OGM, and they'll make their claim better with better programs. But having a T/M 2006 win (as in, they skated the cleanest and most unexciting so beat the real fan faves, but hey, that's competition) is super plausible. All the foreshadowing is there, even the initials!

joanne129

Rinkside
Totally right! T/M can medal they just need to make a lot of improvements in the off seasons. Maybe refinements is a better word. If not for v/t delaying their retirement announcement everyone could stop talking about them and put more emphasis on number one team outside Russia t/m and number one team inside Russia s/k.

I actually cant understand why S/K is considered the number 1 team inside Russia. T/M obviously showed better results this season, winning the GPF, Euros and WC Bronze. Why did the Fed still favour S/K more...?

gmyers

Record Breaker
I actually cant understand why S/K is considered the number 1 team inside Russia. T/M obviously showed better results this season, winning the GPF, Euros and WC Bronze. Why did the Fed still favour S/K more...?

They definitely should not have at all. They do have Olympic silver but didn't have throws at Russian nationals.