2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating

siela

On the Ice
What interesting to note about Russian pairs is that there was quite an addition of new blood to the coaching stuff in recent years. Like, in Saint Petersburg, we have Vasiliy Velikov, actively working in his grand parents' group, Konstantin Bezmaternykh and Artur Minchuk, who still competed a few years back and now coach some good teams.
In Moscow, there is Filip Tarasov. He was not a very successful pairs skater but he seems to be doing not so bad as an aspiring coach.
And finally, this autumn we are going to see the first teams coached by Yuri Larionov - two of them are supposed to compete at Moscow junior championships next week. Both of them are extremely young - Rusakova/Kazantsev (2005/2002) and Trubacheva/Astakhov (2006/2004) - so it is probably too early to harbor big expectations for them, but I still cannot wait to see them skate.

hanca

Record Breaker
What interesting to note about Russian pairs is that there was quite an addition of new blood to the coaching stuff in recent years. Like, in Saint Petersburg, we have Vasiliy Velikov, actively working in his grand parents' group, Konstantin Bezmaternykh and Artur Minchuk, who still competed a few years back and now coach some good teams.
In Moscow, there is Filip Tarasov. He was not a very successful pairs skater but he seems to be doing not so bad as an aspiring coach.
And finally, this autumn we are going to see the first teams coached by Yuri Larionov - two of them are supposed to compete at Moscow junior championships next week. Both of them are extremely young - Rusakova/Kazantsev (2005/2002) and Trubacheva/Astakhov (2006/2004) - so it is probably too early to harbor big expectations for them, but I still cannot wait to see them skate.

Not all new blood is successful though. Stanislav Morozov had several juniors since he stopped working with Volosozhar/Trankov and it never got anywhere. Velikov junior has two successful teams, but as he is cooaching them with Velikova and Velikov senior, we don’t know how much it is his skills and how much he benefits from more experienced coaches’ work.

Lana05

Final Flight
Not all new blood is successful though. Stanislav Morozov had several juniors since he stopped working with Volosozhar/Trankov and it never got anywhere. Velikov junior has two successful teams, but as he is cooaching them with Velikova and Velikov senior, we don’t know how much it is his skills and how much he benefits from more experienced coaches’ work.

Stolbova/Klimov were with Velikovs before Nina Moser stole them. And M/G are already senior eligable

hanca

Record Breaker
Stolbova/Klimov were with Velikovs before Nina Moser stole them. And M/G are already senior eligable

Firstly, I don’t think Mozer stole them. They requested to go to her group and she took some time to consider it, so that’s not the action of someone who stole them. I think if she didn’t take them, they wouldn’t have got the silver at the Olympics. I watched their results while they were with Velikovs but there was a lot of work left to do. They were very promising juniors, but they were not that great seniors while being with Velikovs.

Re: M/G being senior eligible, sure they are eligible. But are they ready? They do look great for jniors, but even juniors like Alexandrovskaya/Windsor went from the top at juniors to skating clean and yet so-so qualifying to the FS at worlds. A pair get more reputation by being first in juniors rather than somewhere around 15th at seniors, so I am glad that they remained in juniors for this season.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Re: M/G being senior eligible, sure they are eligible. But are they ready? They do look great for jniors, but even juniors like Alexandrovskaya/Windsor went from the top at juniors to skating clean and yet so-so qualifying to the FS at worlds. A pair get more reputation by being first in juniors rather than somewhere around 15th at seniors, so I am glad that they remained in juniors for this season.

Agreed.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Firstly, I don’t think Mozer stole them. They requested to go to her group and she took some time to consider it, so that’s not the action of someone who stole them. I think if she didn’t take them, they wouldn’t have got the silver at the Olympics. I watched their results while they were with Velikovs but there was a lot of work left to do. They were very promising juniors, but they were not that great seniors while being with Velikovs.

That's right. Trankov acted as the moderator between the parties and Ksenia and Fedor knew that they would have better training and development opportunities with Mozer. Fedor loved the Velikovs, but at that point in time, Nina Mozer got the ear of the Fed and therefore access to more money.
I wish M/G all the best, I really like them. Hope they get the staff who can help with their development so they can smoothly adapt to the senior ranks.

Lana05

Final Flight
There is so many Russian junior pairs I like now!

Wow! Your last season posts were mostly pessimistic, but now you suddenly become to sound so optimistic... Hmmm... Were you hacked and it's another person?:laugh:

hanca

Record Breaker
Wow! Your last season posts were mostly pessimistic, but now you suddenly become to sound so optimistic... Hmmm... Were you hacked and it's another person?:laugh:

My posts have not been pessimistic. I love junior and seniors pairs. I have been critical about what’s going on at Pavlova’s group. Pavlova is the coach whose skaters usually have very decent basics and are really nice to watch, but she also seem to be very emotionally abusive towards her female skaters. It is not accidental that both Iliuschetchkina and Antipova developed anorexia while being coached by her. Antipova and her parents made several interviews about what was going on in that group, I am sure it is still somewhere on the internet. But as all my favourite skaters left her before this season started, all is well.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Competition chat: Update

This is a blanket post for all national threads as JGP Linz kicks off.

Just a reminder:pray:

Please keep all competition chat in the Competition forums. This includes scores, starting orders, elements, etc. Last week, we tried to encourage folks to post using their best judgement, however, some posters inevitably used various other threads as a replacement for the competition threads, and that is what we want to avoid.

Once the event is over, feel free to discuss in other Fan Fest, national threads, etc.

Should we find that folks are still discussing competition info in these threads, said threads will be closed until after the competition.

Thanks for you understanding and for supporting Golden Skate!

Lana05

Final Flight
My posts have not been pessimistic. I love junior and seniors pairs. I have been critical about what’s going on at Pavlova’s group. Pavlova is the coach whose skaters usually have very decent basics and are really nice to watch, but she also seem to be very emotionally abusive towards her female skaters. It is not accidental that both Iliuschetchkina and Antipova developed anorexia while being coached by her. Antipova and her parents made several interviews about what was going on in that group, I am sure it is still somewhere on the internet. But as all my favourite skaters left her before this season started, all is well.

You were critical about nearly all pairs. Saying A/K were overscored at home events and she doesn't have jumps after thier JGP (yes they scored somwhere 129 and she fell on all her jumps but it was just one horrible competition for them) and nearly same about other pairs when they had mistakes. Plus it was not only me who thought you were pessimistic:biggrin: But I am glad that you are being optimistic now)
JGP in Linz starts tomorrow!

hanca

Record Breaker
You were critical about nearly all pairs. Saying A/K were overscored at home events and she doesn't have jumps after thier JGP (yes they scored somwhere 129 and she fell on all her jumps but it was just one horrible competition for them) and nearly same about other pairs when they had mistakes. Plus it was not only me who thought you were pessimistic:biggrin: But I am glad that you are being optimistic now)
JGP in Linz starts tomorrow!
Well, if you bother to look at A/K’s skating from last year, they were quite a lot overscored. I am not the only one saying it, the Russian forum commented on it too. I can see that this year their skating (the transitions between the elements) finally look more decent; last year they were getting at home competitions high PCS with transitions and skating skills that were in the bottom of their field. Akhanteva is still not quite consistent (she had mistakes on sbs jumps) but it is a huge improvement. Look, I have no reason to make A/K any worse than they are. I didn’t think they deservd their marks at home competitions last year, but this year I do think they deserved 170 internationally.

Lana05

Final Flight
Interesting will RusFed go for 6/6 pairs in the JGP Finale? If so, all 6 teams that already competed will get 2 events
Right now I don'r see any other pair that could be interesting to watch in the Finale besides Russian ones

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The future for Russian pairs may be better but right now things are not great. With Tarasova and Morozov the undisputed leaders they are in the era of the mid 90s when they had two very good teams but not so special - except now they just have one very good team. I can't even remember the two teams that after 1994 held court before Artur came back with a new partner and B/S came to reign. But I do think they each won a world title if I remember.

hanca

Record Breaker
The future for Russian pairs may be better but right now things are not great. With Tarasova and Morozov the undisputed leaders they are in the era of the mid 90s when they had two very good teams but not so special - except now they just have one very good team. I can't even remember the two teams that after 1994 held court before Artur came back with a new partner and B/S came to reign. But I do think they each won a world title if I remember.
I wouldn’t be so pessimistic. Russia currently has only one really decent pair, Tarasova/Morozov. (I don’t count Zabijako/Enbert as a great pair because I do think they reached their potential and won’t be climbing on the world podium). However, there is no other country who is better off. Each country has maximum one decent pair. China has Sui/Han. (Yu/Zhao is not better than Zabijako/Enbert). Canada and Germany has no one decent after their top teams retired. Which country is better off? And Russia, unlike all other countries, have approximately ten junior pairs that are pretty decent and are aging out of juniors within the next three years. Even if only a half of them survive the puberty and injuries, that’s still five extra pairs that will be coming to seniors (additionally to those two who already moved this season -Boikova/Kozlovski and Pavliuschenko/Khodykhin). So even if Russia doesn’t have the numbers at this moment, within a few years they will have not only one but definitely several pair teams who will be pretty decent. What decent juniors have other countries lined up to move to seniors?

Lana05

Final Flight

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
So far out of the six Russian junior pairs that competed on the JGP, Panfilova/Rylov are my favourite. Very strong and polished pair elements. Lifts and throws are real highlights in their free especially. They just need to upgrade their jumps.

hanca

Record Breaker
So far out of the six Russian junior pairs that competed on the JGP, Panfilova/Rylov are my favourite. Very strong and polished pair elements. Lifts and throws are real highlights in their free especially. They just need to upgrade their jumps.
Mine too. In the recent interview it was said that she was working on two triples. But they do have four more seasons (including this one) of junior eligibility, so no reason to panic yet.
I hope Panfilova will not grow much. Rylov is not a very tall guy. Only 178cm. Together with Yalin (175cm) they are the shortest pair males among Russian junior pairs. Mirzoev was also 178cm and struggled to find a partner after he split up with Mishina.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I wouldn’t be so pessimistic. Russia currently has only one really decent pair, Tarasova/Morozov. (I don’t count Zabijako/Enbert as a great pair because I do think they reached their potential and won’t be climbing on the world podium).

Are you sure about that? Look at the World Rankings, last season and in general. D/R, S/M, S/K, S/B - all gone. They are a bit boring and that's why viewers often don't pay as much attention or have low expectations. The judges like them and ... stranger things have happened. ;)