2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating

hanca

Record Breaker
I didn't say they have no future. Poluyanova/Sopot somehow learned a triple. But I'd make a bet on the pairs formed from single skaters, and maybe on several pairs from Velikov's school.

Well, you volunteered pairs who didn’t have triples and then they didn’t make the transition to seniors. What about the pairs who did have triples, and yet never got anywhere? Gainedtinova/Bich had side by side triple Lutz. Unfortunately they were not consistent with their elements and never scored as well as those pairs without a triple, and finally they split up.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
People on this forum tends to decide that one pair has a future because they have the jumps, and another pair doesn’t have a future because they don’t have the jumps.
It's not "people on this forum". It's Apollinaria herself. She doesn't want to continue to the senior level. Maybe she isn't satisfied with the idea of getting "quite far", let alone to Misha Ge's level - especially considering they are not skating for Uzbekistan.
And sure they are consistent - let's see how that consistency holds up once (if) they get even just a 3S.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Harder to teach to do consistent triples and save pair elements. But overall: jumps of course. This is great school, but I don't know why they can't find a good coach for the jumps.
They do have a jump coach. I think the main problem is that they can only get girls who are very weak jumpers to begin with. Girls with triples end up in Moscow/St. Petersburg.

Boikova/Kozlovski need to get over Alexandra's growing pains, then we can judge their consistency. But considering that they go for really hard jumps by pairs' standards they are unlikely to achieve perfect consistency. And we havent yet seen what puberty will do to Panfilova or Pavlyuchenko.

Actually, considering that simply having higher triples and 3-3 doesn't get you anywhere in singles any more, I am waiting for the appearance of girls with 3F, 3Lz and at least a 3T+3T or 3S+3T in pairs. Current pairs who potentially can do a higher triple seem to be plagued by non-matching edge issues. And a 3-3 combo still seems to be beyond reach. We get underrotated half-loop combos and 3-3 sequences at best (with the latter done by tiny Pavlyuchenko). Mishina is potentially capable of doing a 3-3 but they haven't pulled it off in a competition yet.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
They do have a jump coach. I think the main problem is that they can only get girls who are very weak jumpers to begin with. Girls with triples end up in Moscow/St. Petersburg.

Boikova/Kozlovski need to get over Alexandra's growing pains, then we can judge their consistency. But considering that they go for really hard jumps by pairs' standards they are unlikely to achieve perfect consistency. And we havent yet seen what puberty will do to Panfilova or Pavlyuchenko.

Actually, considering that simply having higher triples and 3-3 doesn't get you anywhere in singles any more, I am waiting for the appearance of girls with 3F, 3Lz and at least a 3T+3T or 3S+3T in pairs. Current pairs who potentially can do a higher triple seem to be plagued by non-matching edge issues. And a 3-3 combo still seems to be beyond reach. We get underrotated half-loop combos and 3-3 sequences at best (with the latter done by tiny Pavlyuchenko). Mishina is potentially capable of doing a 3-3 but they haven't pulled it off in a competition yet.

I was checking many Russian competitions and noticed there are 80% girls and 20% boys. In numbers it's almost the same. I mean, at local competitions average amount of girls is about 80-90, boys - 20-30. So with girls for the pairs there are no problems at all, but what about the boys, if it's not enough even for the single skating? [emoji848]

hanca

Record Breaker
It's not "people on this forum". It's Apollinaria herself. She doesn't want to continue to the senior level. Maybe she isn't satisfied with the idea of getting "quite far", let alone to Misha Ge's level - especially considering they are not skating for Uzbekistan.
And sure they are consistent - let's see how that consistency holds up once (if) they get even just a 3S.

Firstly, you are taking what she said out of context. She did not say that she will definitely finish skating. And secondly, considering that she has four more years junior eligibility, she can easily change her mind. Can you imagine that someone wants one thing when they are 14 or 15, and a completely different thing when she is 19? It’s not that unusual that between the age of 14 and 19 a person changes their mind about their future.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I was checking many Russian competitions and noticed there are 80% girls and 20% boys. In numbers it's almost the same. I mean, at local competitions average amount of girls is about 80-90, boys - 20-30. So with girls for the pairs there are no problems at all, but what about the boys, if it's not enough even for the single skating? [emoji848]
For success in singles skating these days you need to be comparatively small - smaller than average for Russian men. That simply cuts off a lot of male skaters who are not going to be able to do quads successfully due to anatomic parameters. The ones who grow tall can either quit or go into pairs, it's not a choice between success in singles skating and in pairs skating. The ones who are large enough for pairs are too big for singles.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Firstly, you are taking what she said out of context. She did not say that she will definitely finish skating. And secondly, considering that she has four more years junior eligibility, she can easily change her mind. Can you imagine that someone wants one thing when they are 14 or 15, and a completely different thing when she is 19? It’s not that unusual that between the age of 14 and 19 a person changes their mind about their future.
I don't understand what we are arguing about here. Of course she can change her mind, especially if she learns triples, I've already said this.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Shame on me, but I totally forgot that today were pairs competitions. Judging by starting order, there are quite interesting names. Daria Pavluchenko, Kudryavtseva/Spiridonov - hell, I can't find their short program from the previous competition, and now I missed that. And also, other interesing pair, I mean, a girl in that pair - Lina Dreyer. She's as well as Pavluchenko was a single skater. It's always interesting to look at new pairs formed from single skaters. I hope youtube copyrights system won't kill that stream, and I'll be able to watch it.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Wow! We have Shibs, Parsons, Greens... But this is just ice dance. And now it happend in pairs! Alexandra Finokhina (2006) and Nikita Finokhin (2005)!

Their reactions at falls of each other were funny. After Sasha's fall, Nikita looked like, "Well, it didn't work... Get up, get up..." And then, at Nikita's fall, Sasha's reaction was like, "What? What happend? Um, are you okay there?" :laugh: Cute.

Interesting to look at them in 2-3 years.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Participants of Junior Russian Nationals 2018:

Poluyanova A.-Sopot D.
Lyyrova T.-Selkin M.
Panfilova A.-Rylov D
Boykova A.-Kozlovsky D.
Mishina A.-Gallyamov A.
Akhantieva K. - Kolesov V.
Kvartalova D.-Sviatchenko A.
Kostyukovich P.-Yalin D.