2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating

LadyB

Record Breaker
S/K will skip WC 2018 because of the injury
https://iz.ru/713228/2018-02-25/stolbova-i-klimov-propustiat-chempionat-mira-v-milane-iz-za-travmy

https://instagram.com/p/Bfnd1JtHvKu/?utm_source=ig_embed

Life is so unfair :(

stolbova_ksenia:
With my big regret I have to announce that the season is over and I will not be able to participate at the World Championship. in Milan. But boundaries and obstacles are just temporary. I still have so much more to give and I never had a lack of motivation. I will be back on my feet soon and ready to reach new goals in my skating career.
Looking forward for it !!!

To be perfectly honest, I knew they wouldn't participate for some reason or another. Just had the feeling... I love them to the moon and back, but they are the most unlucky and therefore most unreliable pair in history. I'm just lucky I didn't buy tix for Worlds in the end...

lavoix

Match Penalty
S/K will skip WC 2018 because of the injury
https://iz.ru/713228/2018-02-25/stolbova-i-klimov-propustiat-chempionat-mira-v-milane-iz-za-travmy

https://instagram.com/p/Bfnd1JtHvKu/?utm_source=ig_embed

Life is so unfair :(

stolbova_ksenia:
With my big regret I have to announce that the season is over and I will not be able to participate at the World Championship. in Milan. But boundaries and obstacles are just temporary. I still have so much more to give and I never had a lack of motivation. I will be back on my feet soon and ready to reach new goals in my skating career.
Looking forward for it !!!

This is just so sad. They have had the worst season of any pair...ever!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
To be perfectly honest, I knew they wouldn't participate for some reason or another. Just had the feeling... I love them to the moon and back, but they are the most unlucky and therefore most unreliable pair in history. I'm just lucky I didn't buy tix for Worlds in the end...

I would hardly call them the unluckiest. They earned an Olympic team gold medal and individual silver medal (with some of the lowest tech difficulty, at that).

It's sad to see them not get a chance to skate at Worlds but hope she recovers and they can regroup for one last hurrah. But it'll be tough with the French and Italians killing it. They'd have been pressed to come top 5, even healthy.

stolbovadivas

Match Penalty
I would hardly call them the unluckiest. They earned an Olympic team gold medal and individual silver medal (with some of the lowest tech difficulty, at that).

It's sad to see them not get a chance to skate at Worlds but hope she recovers and they can regroup for one last hurrah. But it'll be tough with the French and Italians killing it. They'd have been pressed to come top 5, even healthy.

Just curious what you believe the French are killing exactly. They failed to medal at Europeans (where subpar Stolbova & Klimov with major mistakes in both programs still easily beat them and won silver) and were sluggish and overscored at the Olympics where they didnt even deserve 5th but were pushed over a superior Marchei & Hotarek thanks to bloated PCS. Stolbova & Klimov have never have had difficulties beating the French, even since their decline. Their only loss to them ever was narrowly losing them to them at Europeans last year with a disaesterous outing, and with James & Cipres having the competition of their lives, the only time ever they had 2 clean skates.

As for the Italians, it is refreshing and exciting to see both skating well, but Stolbova & Klimov would have a very large mistake cushion over both on reputation alone.

Stolbova & Klimov would definitely have been real medal contenders at worlds. They would have gone in as worst 4th seeded favorite behind the Germans, Chinese, and their teammates, and would have been right there for a medal shot, especialy if any of those three made mistakes. They in fact do still quite often beat their teammates, despite their slump and decline, and the Russian fed now favoring Tarasova & Morozov, beating them at Russian Nationals last year and the GPF this year.

stolbovadivas

Match Penalty

Yes they are an incredible unlucky pair. They looked set to win the World title in Boston after their GPF performances but got injured before worlds and had to settle for 4th. They would have been major contenders still for a medal and possibly even the gold in Pyeongchang if many further injuries did not mean they lost their twist, and their consistency on many elements. And while they were lesser contenders after their problems the last 2 years they were forced to miss Pyeongchang altoether by some stupid thing nobody understands as they never failed a doping test. They wanted to skate at the 2015 worlds where they probably would have won atleast silver but stupid Mozer made them WD. Unluckiest pair ever perhaps!

Such incredibly kind and nice people, they deserve a better fate!

LadyB

Record Breaker
I would hardly call them the unluckiest. They earned an Olympic team gold medal and individual silver medal

I wasn't talking about their skills/achievements (which has nothing to do with luck) ;) I was talking about all the events they've missed in the past and present. They just came back from injury and a difficult start to the season, got it together... got no invite to the Olympics and then Ksenia has raptured ligaments. That's the latest in a series of injuries/fatigues etc. My heart goes out to them, 'cause that's pretty unlucky to my mind. They made it perfectly clear how they felt about it all at Euros. I love them like mad, and if they continue next season, I wish them greatest luck on earth.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Starting order is up

I wonder how the hell Polina and Daria aren't in the last group? Probably those who are there skate not the first junior season, and have more points because of that? [emoji848]

Will we finally see a fall of the Russian pairs' curse?

I need to think about it. 🤔

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
It's weird. the Japanese team was 10th at a JGP this year and is in the final group...

Andrea82

Medalist
It's weird. the Japanese team was 10th at a JGP this year and is in the final group...

Miura/Ichihashi competed at 4 Continents (last place by a mile but there were only 10 pairs) and these points (325) are boosting their World Standing rankings. They are 53th with P/K 60th and K/I 64th.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Huh. I wish that points earned from senior events didn't count towards world standing in determining a junior comp, if that makes sense. It's a little unfair to the skaters who aren't senior eligible yet and thus can't skate at events like 4CC.

hanca

Record Breaker
Huh. I wish that points earned from senior events didn't count towards world standing in determining a junior comp, if that makes sense. It's a little unfair to the skaters who aren't senior eligible yet and thus can't skate at events like 4CC.
All points need to count. Otherwise the skaters would have no chance to collect enough points to move to seniors. Why to you think Alexandrovskaya/Windsor did JGP this season, when they made it clear that they want to move to seniors? Because they didn’t have enough points to get GP events! Junior world champions, and they didn’t have enough points! Sad!

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Interesting pairs were skating at another Moscow Cup, but except nice twists I didn't notice something special. I guess some pair was jumping triples, but overall it was not so good. And almost every pair skated with stonefaces, big difference after ice dances.

I'm also curious what's wrong with Finokhins. They look very nice, but their skating skills and speed are total disaster. I mean, double twist and double throws - that's okay, they're young. But they just can't skate, they're slower than snails. Even some 6-8 yo girls skate much faster than they are. Really hard to watch them. Sigh.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Finally I have watched JW's short programs. What to say, that was very good. Interesting note: This is second time when Mishina skates at JW being out of nowhere, not particpating at JGP events. And the only one season where she was participating there, she didn't compete at junior worlds because of split.

The field, aside Russians, is very weak, so it has to be a podium sweep. Everything's in their hands.

But still, foreign body can spoil everything, you never know. Will see.

starla16

Medalist
I see three prospects who can transition well in seniors.

Mishina / Galliamov - very good elements and both post puberty
Atakhanova / Volodin - all big and explosive elements, Atkahnova is coping puberty well post Pavlova

Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin have propects but she still young and he needs work on posture and skating skills.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
And lucky draw! I was afraid that mediocre and average Chinese pair will be the last, but everything is how it has to be.
21:57:10 by Sofia time, starts another Junior Russian Nationals, where will be decided who will take the world champs crown! :clap:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think Mishina/Galiamov were a bit underscored in the SP - also, the GOEs for some pairs were just wacky. But they can certainly get onto the podium, and even surprise some of their own teammates. Hoping for a good competition today.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Well, they were in the first group. I think that's why they seem to be underscored. Still, it's a good score for them, is it not?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well, they were in the first group. I think that's why they seem to be underscored. Still, it's a good score for them, is it not?

It's not a bad score, but I think they'd score a little bit over 58 for a clean skate here, when they should be scoring adove 60+ with their quality.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Hm, you would put them over K/I? I'm not sure I would. I'd put them mid-59 to low-61