2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating

hanca

Record Breaker
Well, there's certainly a bright spot in Russian pairs with Pavliuchenko/Khodykin. Their choreo and ss are impressive for a junior pairs team, and this is their first season together I believe. And best of all, she can do both triples!

Their second season together. They paired up in June 2016. Last season they did pretty well at Russian cups, then placed 5th at Russian junior nationals and 1st at nationals of elder age.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
So, slowpokes from ISU didn't update yet pairs standings, but let's see what I can calculate here:

1. Apollinariia PANFILOVA / Dmitry RYLOV 26 points Q
2. Aleksandra BOIKOVA / Dmitrii KOZLOVSKII 24 points Q
3. Evelyn WALSH / Trennt MICHAUD 20 points
4. Daria PAVLIUCHENKO / Denis KHODYKIN 15 points (166.24)
5. Polina KOSTIUKOVICH / Dmitrii IALIN 15 points (165.48)
6. Yumeng GAO / Zhong XIE 13 points (164.96)
7. Anastasia POLUIANOVA / Dmitry SOPOT 13 points (162.14)
8. Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSOR 9 points (151.50)

The worst scenario for the Russians in Gdansk will be if:

1. Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSOR
2. Yumeng GAO / Zhong XIE
3. Anastasia POLUIANOVA / Dmitry SOPOT

The best scenario:

1. Polina KOSTIUKOVICH / Dmitrii IALIN
2. Daria PAVLIUCHENKO / Denis KHODYKIN
4. Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSOR Yumeng (GAO / Zhong XIE)
5. GAO / Zhong XIE (Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSOR Yumeng)

As a result: 5 Russian pairs and 1 other pair (Chinese/Australian/Canadian)

hanca

Record Breaker
Pavliuchenko/Khodykin have better PB now than World Champions :thumbsup: They recieved 166,24 and A/W 164,10 at WC. Well done :clapper:

Not any more. The world junior champions have just scored 190 at Nebelhorn Trophy!

Lana05

Final Flight
It was senior event, so they could put some elements like jump 3S in sp and another changers. So it isn't fair to compare their scores. P/K can't participate in senior events this year.

hanca

Record Breaker
So, slowpokes from ISU didn't update yet pairs standings, but let's see what I can calculate here:

1. Apollinariia PANFILOVA / Dmitry RYLOV 26 points Q
2. Aleksandra BOIKOVA / Dmitrii KOZLOVSKII 24 points Q
3. Evelyn WALSH / Trennt MICHAUD 20 points
4. Daria PAVLIUCHENKO / Denis KHODYKIN 15 points (166.24)
5. Polina KOSTIUKOVICH / Dmitrii IALIN 15 points (165.48)
6. Yumeng GAO / Zhong XIE 13 points (164.96)
7. Anastasia POLUIANOVA / Dmitry SOPOT 13 points (162.14)
8. Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSOR 9 points (151.50)

The worst scenario for the Russians in Gdansk will be if:

1. Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSOR
2. Yumeng GAO / Zhong XIE

The best scenario:

1. Polina KOSTIUKOVICH / Dmitrii IALIN
2. Daria PAVLIUCHENKO / Denis KHODYKIN
4. Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSOR Yumeng (GAO / Zhong XIE)
5. GAO / Zhong XIE (Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSOR Yumeng)

As a result: 5 Russian pairs and 1 other pair (Chinese/Australian/Canadian)

So unless something unexpected happens, the best case scenario is that they will have five pairs in JGPF, and the worse case scenario four pairs in JGPF. It is not a bad outcome.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Poluyanova/Sopot's spot is a bit shaking. They need to be higher than Chinese to get to the final. And they're higher so far. But I'm not sure about FS. Their jumps are still not stable and weak, and they got level 1 for the twist in the short program. Chinese team even without jumps could be placed higher than them in the free program. So let's see how this will end. I'd prefer this podium:

1. Polina Kostyukovich
2. Katie Alexandrovskaya
3. Daria Pavluchenko
4. Anastasia Poluyanova

Australians in the final and 5 Russian teams. But still I'm afraid for Poluyanova/Sopot.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Great injustice happend. Things went so wrong. We won't see in the JGPF the best quad twist in the juniors (and maybe in the world), also at Russian Nationals we won't see it. Chinese pair is in, Polina is out. I'm done.

madison

Record Breaker
Great injustice happend. Things went so wrong. We won't see in the JGPF the best quad twist in the juniors (and maybe in the world), also at Russian Nationals we won't see it. Chinise pair is in, Polina is out. I'm done.

Well, they skated really bad here, it's not an injustice, probably they don't have enough competitive experience to handle pressure.

Lana05

Final Flight
I'm happy for P/S, K/I needs 2 good results at Cup events and they will go to RNs. I was ready to smth like this. Because pressure is there and it's difficult to deliver. So there are 4 rus pairs. If P/K were the same as at their 1st event in FS, they could win it. But at least they improved their PB in SP. Congrats!!

hanca

Record Breaker
Great injustice happend. Things went so wrong. We won't see in the JGPF the best quad twist in the juniors (and maybe in the world), also at Russian Nationals we won't see it. Chinese pair is in, Polina is out. I'm done.
It is not injustice. They skated badly. To be fair, even their first event wasn’t that great. Yes, they managed to win that one, but 2-3 falls per FS (they counted two but she was down three times) is not really a skate that one wants to aim for. In their first event they had a super hard element that managed to make up for all those mistakes. This time they showed what happens when they don’t do the hard element and yet make several mistakes. On one side I admire that they are doing hard side by side jmps, a triple jump and a triple-half loop-triple combination, but there are consequences if things don’t work out. Besides, you are making a big deal of them not being in JGPF or in Russian senior nationals. It’s no big deal. They are juniors, these results won’t have any impact whatsoever on their senior career. And they are still qualified in junior nationals so if they skate well, they could be sent to junior worlds. That’s the competition that matters most at junior level.

Lana05

Final Flight
I was watching Cup of SPb 3 and Mishina/Galliamov scored 185,77. Of course, they won. Congratulations!! If RusFed gave him 2 JGPs they could qualify without problems (instead of A/K at 1st event at least)

hanca

Record Breaker
I was watching Cup of SPb 3 and Mishina/Galliamov scored 185,77. Of course, they won. Congratulations!! If RusFed gave him 2 JGPs they could qualify without problems (instead of A/K at 1st event at least)

I heard they looked pretty bad at the test skates, so maybe the federation decided to give them time to get used to each other more and get the elements better. It doesn’t really matter that they missed the JGP, as long as they do well at Russian juniors nationals and get to junior worlds. They could also do senior Russian cups and qualify to senior nationals. Pairs are usually allowed to do both junior and senior Russian cups.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I heard they looked pretty bad at the test skates, so maybe the federation decided to give them time to get used to each other more and get the elements better. It doesn’t really matter that they missed the JGP, as long as they do well at Russian juniors nationals and get to junior worlds. They could also do senior Russian cups and qualify to senior nationals. Pairs are usually allowed to do both junior and senior Russian cups.
There is still no way they are worse than Akhantieva/Kolesov. I think they outscored them everywhere. So if the choice was between M/G and A/K picking the latter makes the kind of sense which is not. But it looks like it was the coaches' decision to go for A/K over M/G.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
It is not injustice. They skated badly. To be fair, even their first event wasn’t that great. Yes, they managed to win that one, but 2-3 falls per FS (they counted two but she was down three times) is not really a skate that one wants to aim for. In their first event they had a super hard element that managed to make up for all those mistakes. This time they showed what happens when they don’t do the hard element and yet make several mistakes. On one side I admire that they are doing hard side by side jmps, a triple jump and a triple-half loop-triple combination, but there are consequences if things don’t work out. Besides, you are making a big deal of them not being in JGPF or in Russian senior nationals. It’s no big deal. They are juniors, these results won’t have any impact whatsoever on their senior career. And they are still qualified in junior nationals so if they skate well, they could be sent to junior worlds. That’s the competition that matters most at junior level.

Thanks, hanca. I feel better now. But still... I was starting to see the bright light in the end of the tunnel with the name "Russian pairs", and... Knock...

I mean, let's take a look:

Katie/Harley - strong Mozer's team, solid skating. I think they will skip JWC 2018, especially after Olympics and before the Worlds 2018. So no threat for the Russians there.
Chinese pair - nice twist, no jumps, boring lifts, nothing new at all, average level and absolutely boring skating.
Sopot - twist 1-2 level, unstable jumps, shaky lifts, nice throws, slow spins.
Boikova/Kozlovski - nice jumps, choreo, but also shaky lifts, shaky twist, and she started to struggles with throws (two foot, fall, step-out).
Alice from Wonderland - cute girl with beautiful face and beautiful black hair, her dress nice twists while she's in the air on the twist, no triples, but nice throws.
Daria Kvartalova - amazing and innovative elements, ugly costumes (especially his costume in SP, it's like Indian lady's dress on him, with open stomach), she reminds me of Mishina. And it's not a compliment, most likely a reminder about the future.

And the high difference I saw only from two pairs:

Daria Pavluchenko - their pair is the only one which well balanced: jumps, throws, twist, lifts, stsq (!), nice skating skills. Nice artistry on the ice from both. They have chemistry, that's cool. Might be a bright future, if Daria won't grow much.

Polina Kostyukovich - best quad twist I've ever seen, amazing throws, beautiful lifts, she is so cute as well as Daria. They have difficult jumps but no stability. And her partner... He's face is always like, "Where am I? Why am I here?". He is absolutely lack of artistry, no expressions at his face at all. I bet Polina weighs so little, that any more less strong partner can do the same or even higher quad twist, lifts and throws. He's like foreign body in their skating. I hope Polina will find another partner, but I don't see how it could happen... Sad.

I wanted many people from figure skating world to see their twist, but... Sigh.

However, I probably won't watch pairs' JGPF, GPF and RN.

hanca

Record Breaker
Thanks, hanca. I feel better now. But still... I was starting to see the bright light in the end of the tunnel with the name "Russian pairs", and... Knock...

Katie/Harley - strong Mozer's team, solid skating. I think they will skip JWC 2018, especially after Olympics and before the Worlds 2018. So no threat for the Russians there.
Chinese pair - nice twist, no jumps, boring lifts, nothing new at all, average level and aboslutely boring skating.
Sopot - twist 1-2 level, unstable jumps, shaky lifts, nice throws, slow spins.
Boikova/Kozlovski - nice jumps, choreo, but also shaky lifts, shaky twist, and she started to struggles with throws (two foot, fall, step-out).
Alice from Wonderland - cute girl with beautiful face and beautiful black hair, her dress nice twists while she's in the air on the twist, no triples, but nice throws.
Daria Kvartalova - amazing and innovative elements, ugly costumes (especially his costume in SP, it's like Indian lady's dress on him, with open stomach), she reminds me of Mishina. And it's not a compliment, most likely a reminder about the future.

Daria Pavluchenko - their pair is the only one which well balanced: jumps, throws, twist, lifts, stsq (!), nice skating skills. Nice artistry on the ice from both. They have chemistry, that's cool. Might be a bright future, if Daria won't grow much.

Polina Kostyukovich - best quad twist I've ever seen, amazing throws, beautiful lifts, she is so cute as well as Daria. They have difficult jumps but no stability. And her partner... He's face is always like, "Where am I? Why am I here?". He is absolutely lack of artistry, no expressions at his face at all. I bet Polina weighs so little, that any more less strong partner can do the same or even higher quad twist, lifts and throws. He's like foreign body in their skating. I hope Polina will find another partner, but I don't see how it could happen... Sad.

I wanted many people from figure skating world to see their twist, but... Sigh.

However, I probably won't watch pairs' JGPF, GPF and RN.

Well, let’s put all you have written into a perspective. Within the next 2-3 years most of the promising Russian juniors will age out. Some of them will not survive - puberty, injuries etc. Some of them the girls will grow up, which may require that they change a partner. Saying that, within a year they will be as strong as with their previous partner. Mishina is doing pretty well with Galliamov not even a year after they started skating together, Poluyanova with Sopot got into JGPF in their first season together etc. Nevertheless, if we have let’s say ten decent pairs who will age out, even if it is only 3-4 that will survive, those 3 or 4 will be pretty good. In comparison, China and Australia has one each one decent pair moving up within the next few year. Any bad injury may completely finish off the pair. (If we are counting that from Russian pairs only less than a half will make it, what happens if we use the same measurement on the Australian and Chinese pair? A few years ago there was a promising Ukrainian pair. Wher are they now? ) The Chinese pair are so close to each other sizewise that it will make things harder. Not impossible, look at Sui/Han, but definitely much harder to do quad twist or quad throw that is needed to get to the top in seniors. Anyway, what I am trying to explain is that Russia seems to be the only country that has within the next few years quite a few young pairs moving to seniors. Canada will have the top two pairs retiring and not that strong juniors moving up, China will have Zhang retiring (not sure if they have anyone promising to take his place) and only one pair coming up. Russia had Kavaguti/Smirnov retiring, and may possibly have Stolbova/Klimov retiring due to too frequent injuries, but they have the numbers coming up. In my view, Mishina/Galliamov and Poluyanova/Sopot look promising for the future, because the girls have already gone through puberty and are still showing results. With the other pairs we will have to wait how things will turn out. But Russian pairs definitely look the most promising for the future from all other countries, based on the current results.

hanca

Record Breaker

Yes, let’s take a look at the pairs you mentioned.

Boikova/Kozlovski- yes, this season is weaker than the last one. She grew and needs time to adjust to her higher height. Her centre of gravity has moved, which makes the elements unstable. Luckily Kozlovski is pretty tall himself so he can easily accommodate her height. On the positive side, they skate now more together than last year. Last year they looked like two single skaters randomly put together. Now they look like a pair.

Poluyanova/Sopot - yes I agree that their elements are often level 1 and 2 and their jumps are not completely stable yet, but they have been together less than a year. Sopot’s previous partner was smaller and he needs to adjust, get used to someone taller. It would affect the elements. I do think they have potential for the future because she seems to have gone through puberty without loosing her jumps. They have now one triple and working on the second one. Considering how short time they have been together, I would say this has been success.

Panfilova/Rylov - she doesn’t have triples, but they still have 4 more seasons plus the current one to work on it. They are both young, and they have time. The level of their pair elements is very high after only a year skating together, and last year was his first ever season in pairs, so taking all that in consideration, very good progress. They also showed that they can keep it together under pressure. In the first event they skated clean programs, in their second event it was just one mistake per program. They are not like the pairs who make a mistake and the whole programs goes downhill. They have potential if she learns the jumps, but 4.5 years, the odds are not bad.

Kvartalova/Sviatchenko - I think you are too harsh on them. I agree that their showing was not great, but their coach admitted in an interview that they lost a lot of time in the off season because she was injured. Additionally she also grew up a bit. How can you expect them to be ready in September? I think they got their JGP spot because the federation didn’t know who to give it to. Many junior pairs did not do well at the test skates, so it is hard to guess who will recover their skating fastest.

Pavliuschenko/Khodykin - they look good to me at the moment, but we will see how she manages her puberty.

Kostiukovich/Ialin - this pair, same as the pairs above, have their own problems. While they have the quad twist which may often cover the loss of points for their mistakes, they seem to be doing far too many mistakes. Their triples have not been landed clean yet in either of the competitions. While I admire that they work on such hard side by side jump content, I can’t see a reason why they would put them into their program if they are not ready yet. The sad thing is that if they put clean doubles, no falls, they would be now in JGPF. One can’t rely on quad twist covering for mistakes because some frak accident like in the last event may cause that there won’t be the quad twist, and them the jump mistakes will be super expensive.

I would add here Mishina/Galliamov, who may be promising. She already went through puberty and they have the jumps. He has to adjust doing elements with much heavier partner than he had previously, but with a bit of time they could be better than Mishina/Mirzoev.

And another potentially promising pair, Kudryavtseva/Spiridonov. The pair is only a few months together so they haven’t competed yet, but knowing Pavlova, if she put them on Russian cup, they are probably ready now.

LRK

Record Breaker
About Boikova/Kozlovskii - Many elements have been shaky, yes, but I don't get the "shaky twist" - that has been fine, often a level 4, and got +GOE, as far as I understand. Shaky jumps, throws &c, I can understand, and agree with - plus some random small mistakes here & there; but honestly, I don't think that their twist can be counted as a problem for them.

ETA - Checking the protocols:

Riga
SP: 3 Tw3 GOE: 1.00
FP: 3 Tw4 GOE: 0.90

Croatia:
SP: 3 Tw4 GOE: 0.90
FP: 3 Tw4 GOE: 0.70

Doesn't seem to be an "issue" as far as I can see?