2017-18 Coaching Changes | Golden Skate

2017-18 Coaching Changes

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It's already that time, so for the record:

Victoria Snistsina and Nikita Katsalapov has moved to Alexander Zhulin.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It's already that time, so for the record:

I thought we were keeping the current threads open until the official change of season at the start of July, and then starting the threads for next season then.

That's why I requested to get the 2016-17 Retirements thread re-opened a week or so ago.

Although, now that I notice, the 2016-17 Coaching Changes thread has also been archived. So, I see now why you started a new thread, rather than send in a request and wait for the current thread to be re-opened.

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I thought we were keeping the current threads open until the official change of season at the start of July, and then starting the threads for next season then.

That's why I requested to get the 2016-17 Retirements thread re-opened a week or so ago.

Although, now that I notice, the 2016-17 Coaching Changes thread has also been archived. So, I see now why you started a new thread, rather than send in a request and wait for the current thread to be re-opened.

CaroLiza_fan

That's excatly what I thought :)

Andrea82

Medalist
Anyone wanna do a quick rundown of who Marina is coaching, please? Seems like she is coaching half the skating world! :laugh:

In Ice Dance she had Shibutanis and Muramoto/Reed. Now she has added Tobias/Tkachenko and apparently Lorenz/Polizoakis.
In singles, she has Patrick Chan and Gracie Gold.

Igor still has Chock/Bates, Nazarova/Nikitin, Min/Gamelin and Coomes/Buckland and some junior couples (Carreira/Ponomarenko, Abachkina/Thauron). And the couple from Georgia who finished last at Worlds.

Anybody else?

At the end Igor and Marina are likely to go to the Olympics with the same number of ice dance couples.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
In Ice Dance she had Shibutanis and Muramoto/Reed. Now she has added Tobias/Tkachenko and apparently Lorenz/Polizoakis.
In singles, she has Patrick Chan and Gracie Gold.

Igor still has Chock/Bates, Nazarova/Nikitin, Min/Gamelin and Coomes/Buckland and some junior couples (Carreira/Ponomarenko, Abachkina/Thauron). And the couple from Georgia who finished last at Worlds.

Anybody else?

Marina has Maxwell & Devereaux and one of the Australian couples. (I believe the Eastern European team that just retired was with her, so between them & Sinitsina & Katsalopov's leaving, she may have the same number of dance teams as she did at the beginning of the season). She is also Nathan Chen's #2.

Igor has Lewis & Bye as well.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This discussion about Marina and Igor reminded me of something that was said during the BBC's coverage of the Free Dance at Worlds.

I can't remember whether it was Kat Downes or Robin Cousins that said it, but one of them said that Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir had long wanted to work with Marie-France Dubreuil, even before they took their sabbatical, but they were not allowed to.

So, was this a reference to there being a limit on how many skaters can be with a particular coach? And if so, what is the limit?

Or is it simply a case that Marina and Igor didn't want one of their star couples working with other coaches even on a temporary basis, in case they liked it and wanted to work with them full time?

CaroLiza_fan

sarama

Medalist
I can't remember whether it was Kat Downes or Robin Cousins that said it, but one of them said that Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir had long wanted to work with Marie-France Dubreuil, even before they took their sabbatical, but they were not allowed to.

So, was this a reference to there being a limit on how many skaters can be with a particular coach? And if so, what is the limit?

Or is it simply a case that Marina and Igor didn't want one of their star couples working with other coaches even on a temporary basis, in case they liked it and wanted to work with them full time?

CaroLiza_fan

I've never heard anything about V/M "not being allowed" to work with Dubreuil/Lauzon. However, I can imagine that Tessa and Scott would have loved to include them in their coaching team, but with Marina (Igor) and the other 3762 people involved with their training it wasn't doable (especially since they were already splitting their time between London and Canton). Consider also that D/L weren't established coaches before 2014: they had choreographed something for Paul/Islam and their only notable students were Hurtado/Diaz, who hadn't had their big breakthrough yet.

I don't think there is a limit regarding the number of skaters somebody can coach, but obviously there are just so many hours in a day, so some couples are probably leaving Igor because it was too crowded and they want some more attention. He really had a ton of teams last season considering senior and juniors!

mom2cavs

Rinkside
I don't believe that Igor has the Georgia team any longer. He also has Joe Buckland and Robin Tweedale, Mansour and Ceska, Pogrebinsky and Benoit Daniel Eaton who is with Marina no longer has a partner. My personal guess is that Igor had several teams with the possibility of going to the Olympics plus up and comers C/P, A/T and P/B. C/P could very well be #1 juniors this season. Coaches have to set priorities and some people are not going to like where they fall. Just my personal guess.