2017-18 Coaching Changes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017-18 Coaching Changes

chameleon

On the Ice
I don't think its that odd. I think its reasonable to say that Igor has several teams that are higher priority for him this season, while the only team Marina has that's absolutely ahead is the Shibs. L/P and T/T are more direct competitors with Muramoto/Reed. But Igor has Chock/Bates, Coomes/Buckland are back on the ice, he sent Pogrebinsky/Benoit to Canada to get choreo from Shae-Lynn and so seems invested in getting them to defend their pewter and win 4CC, and Carreira/Ponomarenko will be making a run for the junior world title. In addition, Nazarova/Nikitin have rebounded this season and had great results, Min/Gamelin have been improving too, and Igor also has to get Abachkina/Thauron to France #2 to get that Olympic spot. He also has Lewis/Bye who will be making a bid for their first junior world trip, and with so many top juniors aging out there may be more space on that podium for them. So that's four teams that are likely higher priorities for Igor, along with four more that Igor may see as roughly the same priority level. I don't know if I think Marina is necessarily the best move, but with pressure of the Olympics looming, its not unreasonable to think that maybe they need a coach with fewer dance teams.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Mikhail Sharov just posted on Instagram that Anastasia Tarakanova moved to Eteri's group from Svetlana Panova.

hanca

Record Breaker
Mikhail Sharov just posted on Instagram that Anastasia Tarakanova moved to Eteri's group from Svetlana Panova.
That means that there will be four girls from Tutberidze's group having their debut at JGP. I wonder how she will be able to split her attention berween them.

sarama

Medalist
That means that there will be four girls from Tutberidze's group having their debut at JGP. I wonder how she will be able to split her attention berween them.
She often doesn't go to JGPs anyway (understandably)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Any word on what will happen with Kovtun and Voronov is Goncharenko is not well? Will they move coaches too? I actually thought they were improving under her, so it's a little sad.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
So, was this a reference to there being a limit on how many skaters can be with a particular coach? And if so, what is the limit?

Sarama's answer sounds like a good hypothesis with regards to Virtue & Moir.

Coaches, however, obviously set limits for how many skaters they can work with. So it isn't a surprise that when one spot "opens up," due to someone leaving, that then there are other athletes who move into that spot.

Unless one of the teams leaving Igor posts otherwise, it's always likely that a team is looking for more coaching time.

That said, Tobias & Tkachenko were far from a lower team at Igor's this year. They were number 2. Coomes & Buckland will be back & were higher prior to the injury, but still T&T were quite high within Igor's camp. Twenty points above Carreira & Ponomarenko on the SB list. Over ten points above Pogrebinsky & Benoit head-to-head.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've never heard anything about V/M "not being allowed" to work with Dubreuil/Lauzon.

I did, although I can't confirm whether it was with D/L or David Wilson. It was in one of TSL's interviews (either with Marie-France or David). Tessa and Scott worked with (one or the other) for a program and had a couple of days to work, but apparently Marina called them back. The implication was that Marina is very strict about not sharing her skaters and credit for their work. The thing with her and Nathan Chen in the GP circuit last fall, when she told the organizers to take Raf's name off as Nathan's coach and use only her name, would seem to confirm this.

I'm not necessarily saying this is a bad policy, but that Marina seems to have very firm ideas about it. This was definitely after the Marina/Igor split, when Marina had V/M.

Batsuchan

Medalist
Any word on what will happen with Kovtun and Voronov is Goncharenko is not well? Will they move coaches too? I actually thought they were improving under her, so it's a little sad.

No, I haven't seen any news on this yet. Also, it hasn't been confirmed that Goncharenko is actually ill; that's still just a rumor. (And for Inna's sake, I do hope she is not ill!)

However, I do think it is interesting that Tarakanova ended up going to Tutberidze. :think: The original rumor I saw at the beginning of March was that she was going to join Goncharenko's group at the end of the season:
https://vk.com/wall-114099767_43277

So if that was true, then it makes me think that something HAS happened in Goncharenko's group that made Elena leave and also made Tarakanova go elsewhere. :unsure: Maybe it's Goncharenko's health, or maybe it's something like decreased funding/ice time or some other internal politics issue. Or maybe the two incidents are totally unrelated. We may never know... :confused:

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Elena Vaytsekhovskaya said Elena left because she was upset at how much attention Kovtun was getting, and he's someone who requires a lot of attention. Her words, not mine :laugh: Rumor of course, but Elena V. seem to know inside stuff (well she's an interviewer) which is why I always read her comments for rumors :think: And there's no rumor yet of Kovtun leaving. She said she may interview Rad after she returns from Canada, was going to do it prior but had to write her book :laugh:

Any how, Rad needed a change. Her skating has stagnated and she is still unpolished after 3.5 years as a senior. I don't see this being a bad move :shrug: She could use Tagaeva who will help with her posture and arm movements and Zavosin who can drill skating skills.

Last edited:

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Elena Vaytsekhovskaya said Elena left because she was upset at how much attention Kovtun was getting, and he's someone who requires a lot of attention. Her words, not mine :laugh: Rumor of course, but Elena V. seem to know inside stuff (well she's an interviewer) which is why I always read her comments for rumors :think: And there's no rumor yet of Kovtun leaving. She said she may interview Rad after she returns from Canada, was going to do it prior but had to write her book :laugh:

Any how, Rad needed a change. Her skating has stagnated and she is still unpolished after 3.5 years as a senior. I don't see this being a bad move :shrug: She could use Tagaeva who will help with her posture and arm movements and Zavosin who can drill skating skills.

She didn't say that. She clearly stated that all of it is just her speculations and her understanding of why the change could have happened.

slider11

Medalist
I keep wondering if Hawayek and Baker may be looking for a change. Jean-Luc is so talented and Kaitlyn is coming along but their size similarity requires some innovative lifts and unique body mechanics. Marina, Igor and the like may be too involved with their heavy hitters for the Olympics. But if H/B don't improve this year I would think they'd be looking for a change once the post-Olympic teams retire.

Vera Costa

Rinkside
I did, although I can't confirm whether it was with D/L or David Wilson.

I've also read something similar. At one of their Meet and Greets, I think someone asked VM about why they didn't leave Marina after the 2012-2013 season. Apparently Skate Canada nixed the idea. If VM left, it would cement the idea that Marina favored DW and in the judges eyes that would make VM appear weaker, especially as they were headed into the Olympic season. This was of course, outside of the fact that while they were with Marina, she didn't like her skaters working with others.

Don't quote me on this though, I may be mixing it up with some other story.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Radionova always came across as being very close to her coach, that's why I was surprised.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I've seen in other thread that Liza Nugumanova and Petr Gumennik has left Mishin to be coached by Veronika Daineko. Has she coached any known skater(s)?

rosy14

Final Flight

Plus Buyanova's power. As a matter of fact, she now is on Russia National Team, while Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Litpniskaya are not.

Weathergal

Medalist
Plus Buyanova's power. As a matter of fact, she now is on Russia National Team, while Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Litpniskaya are not.

I agree with you about Buianova's power having the potential to benefit Radionova. But are you implying that's why Radionova is on the national team and Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, and Lipnitskaia aren't? Radionova is on the national team because, while her season wasn't outstanding, she still delivered. The others didn't (and I say this as a fan of both Liza and Julia). I don't think her being on the national team is reflective of who her coach is. (Sorry if I've misunderstood you.)