Yuzuru Hanyu: 2016-17 Season | Page 1604 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

yude

Record Breaker
Thanks for this!
I don't agree that he is better at expression than Takahashi, rather he is completely different and something that hadn't been seen before in figure skating. Totally unique in his mode of expression. Light and graceful, and suddenly, intense.
What is so great to hear is that all these photographers feel the pull that Yuzu has on all of us. :thumbsup:

I always hesitate to use "better" when I talk about "expression" or "artistry" since those are very subjective and vague, thus I won't say Yuzuru is better than Takahashi, and won't say Takahashi is better than Yuzuru either. I agree they are just different. My favorite phrase to describe Yuzuru is from Akiko's quote, "He is not similar to anybody. He himself creates his own brand "Hanyu-senshu":)

tzazu

Medalist
Thanks for this!
I don't agree that he is better at expression than Takahashi, rather he is completely different and something that hadn't been seen before in figure skating. Totally unique in his mode of expression. Light and graceful, and suddenly, intense.
What is so great to hear is that all these photographers feel the pull that Yuzu has on all of us. :thumbsup:

Totally agree with that, both of them are unique and different

https://twitter.com/wioveriyw/status/878635729059848192 I saw this photo for the first time today. Yuzu training in Helsinki. I love the pose and composition.

Beautiful photo:luv17:

kiches

Final Flight
I always hesitate to use "better" when I talk about "expression" or "artistry" since those are very subjective and vague, thus I won't say Yuzuru is better than Takahashi, and won't say Takahashi is better than Yuzuru either. I agree they are just different. My favorite phrase to describe Yuzuru is from Akiko's quote, "He is not similar to anybody. He himself creates his own brand "Hanyu-senshu":)

I agree, I actually thought it was a strange thing to say or even bring up in the piece altogether, but to each their own. Personally I think a lot of skaters have very different ways of expressing themselves on ice and different people will respond to different things. There are styles of expression that leave me cold and feeling awkward, and then there are other forms of expression that I really connect with.

If I were to try and explain how I view Yuzu's skating and form of expression, the words that come to mind are "natural" and "honest". It's not overdone and it never feels like an act, or that it's forced. I never get the sense that's he's trying to be something he's not even though many of his programs can be different and evoke different feelings. His natural intensity and passion shine through when he's on the ice. It all really suits his "jumps from nowhere" skating, things feel seamless and effortless. Needless to say, I can't get enough of his skating :agree:.

yude

Record Breaker
If I were to try and explain how I view Yuzu's skating and form of expression, the words that come to mind are "natural" and "honest". It's not overdone and it never feels like an act, or that it's forced. I never get the sense that's he's trying to be something he's not even though many of his programs can be different and evoke different feelings. His natural intensity and passion shine through when he's on the ice. It all really suits his "jumps from nowhere" skating, things feel seamless and effortless. Needless to say, I can't get enough of his skating :agree:.

:agree:

I can see his life through his performances and I had never felt this way in other skaters before knowing him.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice

Totally agree with that, I guess it also comes down to individual, which skater's style 'click' with us as audience.

I always appreciate figure skating when I was young, but I've never tried a dig deeper to understand the type of jump, the story behind the music and the moves. Until I saw Yuzu's Romeo and Julia 1.0, that really opened my eyes to the figure skating world. Coz that movie is my favourite as well, I have watched it for maybe 10 times? So I know the music, the story, the moves he made, the expression he have on his face. I could totally sink into the program and appreciate every second of the program. Since then it change my perspective when I was watching other skater skate. Really enjoy Jason brown's skating skill and can't help to feel warm inside when I saw him skate; javier is so passionate and powerful; takahashi have such fire inside him and just naturally sexy. :luv17:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
July is the most slow month for Yuzu news. So I'm going back to old videos and watching them while we wait for things to start up again. This is one I watched today, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1VT6iqs948&t=6s
Yuzu getting his first 4CC silver medal. He was the only one to successfully land a quad in this competition. How times have changed.
What videos have you been watching lately?

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
July is the most slow month for Yuzu news. So I'm going back to old videos and watching them while we wait for things to start up again. This is one I watched today, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1VT6iqs948&t=6s
Yuzu getting his first 4CC silver medal. He was the only one to successfully land a quad in this competition. How times have changed.
What videos have you been watching lately?

I was watching his CoC 2011 performances these days, sooo underscored :palmf:

Now that 2016/17 season is over, isn't it better to create 17/18 thread for Yuzu ?

Status
Not open for further replies.