Yuzuru Hanyu: 2015-16 Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Does Jason has same variety of spins? I doubt it. What I see is that we have differnt taste when it comes to spins. That's fine with me.
I think Yuzuru's spins are not that fast at times, especially when he's tired. If I had to choose the best element for him it would be jumps and not spins no matter how beautiful they are.

Ironically, when he was young, I think it was Shizuka Arakawa who said that what stood out from Yuzuru's skating were his spins, not so much his jumps. Guess he loved jumps too much and decided to make them outstanding, I mean, Kurt said they were dropped from Heaven! :biggrin:

Rissa

Record Breaker
I think there are very few guys currently who top Yuzuru at spins. Michael Christian Martinez (he does both donught and biellman way better than Yuzuru plus that jawdropping Y-spin) Jason, perhaps Shoma, I'm probably forgetting a few, but Yuzuru is up there amongst the best of them. His sit-spins in particular are really good. What I love about Yuzuru's spins is how he often changes positions according to music and how he sometimes puts some choreography in it. A hand movement here, covering of the face there. I wish he'd add some more variation, though, because it's been pretty much same old same old for the last few seasons. And I hope to see the comeback of that bird-wings position that was included in White Legend and Notre Dame the Paris, it's a really cool position, especially if there is hand movement included.

Ironically, when he was young, I think it was Shizuka Arakawa who said that what stood out from Yuzuru's skating were his spins, not so much his jumps. Guess he loved jumps too much and decided to make them outstanding, I mean, Kurt said they were dropped from Heaven! :biggrin:

Isn't it often true about juniors, though? Juniors often seem to have fantastic spins which they don't always carry into adulthood. I know that when I watched Men's junior worlds, I was often impressed by the spins.

Last edited:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Spinfests are not contests, nobody is trying to prove anything, it's just showing off for the fun of it and for the viewers' pleasure, so I suppose Maria was wondering why Stephane didn't feel like showing off what he's so well known for. Maybe it was not to steal the thunder from the other guys. :laugh:

My thoughts exactly, thanks Moria. I'd feel the same if Yuzuru didn't join the jumpfest. Stephane's spins and Yuzuru's jumps are a source of joy because they do them so well.

gsyzf

Medalist
I think part of it is simply the level of Yuzuru's fame. It transcends the sport and therefore, more men (who are not necessarily big skating fans) are willing to come see. At Shizuoka, there was a teenage male who had come with his mother and sister. At then end of the show I heard him say something to the effect that he was surprised how cool and exciting the show was and that he might want to see more. Situations like this might account for some of the increase in males, who might be there simply because Yuzuru's fame and media coverage makes them more willing to see it live, when asked by family or friends? Not sure. But maybe...

I have an impression yuzuru has a bit more male fans than other Japanese males skaters. It seems that there are more male posters at this fan thread than other Japanese male skaters' fan thread. Just my impression. I'm not sure if it's true.

gsyzf

Medalist
I think there are very few guys currently who top Yuzuru at spins. Michael Christian Martinez (he does both donught and biellman way better than Yuzuru plus that jawdropping Y-spin) Jason, perhaps Shoma, I'm probably forgetting a few, but Yuzuru is up there amongst the best of them. His sit-spins in particular are really good. What I love about Yuzuru's spins is how he often changes positions according to music and how he sometimes puts some choreography in it. A hand movement here, covering of the face there. I wish he'd add some more variation, though, because it's been pretty much same old same old for the last few seasons. And I hope to see the comeback of that bird-wings position that was included in White Legend and Notre Dame the Paris, it's a really cool position, especially if there is hand movement included.

Isn't it often true about juniors, though? Juniors often seem to have fantastic spins which they don't always carry into adulthood. I know that when I watched Men's junior worlds, I was often impressed by the spins.

I think yuzuru's spins don't always have the best quality in competition because he has to focus on other difficult elements like quads. He has less energy to focus on spins, especially in the lp. His spins in the sp usually have top qualities. Jason and shoma have good spins now. But once they include more quads in their programs, their spin quality may decline too. Junior men's spins stand out because they don't do difficult jumps, so they can practice spins more and they are more flexible when they are younger.

The quality of spins also depends on the amount of time the skater spends on practicing spins. There is limited time for training, if you spend more time on one skill, it reduced training for other skills. Some skaters are weaker in jumps, so they might spend more time on spins or steps so they can get points in those areas. But for strong jumpers, they will spend more time on difficult jumps because jumps are worth more points. I don't think yuzuru spend that much time on spins or skating skills actually. So the fact that he has top spins and skating skills with little practice means he is much more gifted in spins and skating skills than other skaters. Its rare to see skaters like Yuzu who has top skill in every aaspect of skating.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think yuzuru's spins don't always have the best quality in competition because he has to focus on other difficult elements like quads. He has less energy to focus on spins, especially in the lp. His spins in the sp usually have top qualities.
Alissa Czisny, one of the best spinners in the world said this when they asked her why she's so good at spin "just practice it a lot". So even natural spinners have to practice spin a lot to get good spin quality. For sure when Yuzuru moved to senior, he has had to practice jumps, especially quads, more than spins.
One thing I notice at Yuzuru is that even when he is tired and slows down in spin, his center of spin is still relatively okay. His speed in spin might be on and off due to his state of health, he might slow down but he almost never let the center of spin go crazy, even at NHK 2014 when his camel spin bobbled he didn't travel too much like all over the place (in deed he traveled, but not uncontrolled like eh... Anna Pogo).

And Yuzuru's spin in ice show is very very good too as he has to spend less energy in jumps and he didn't have to worry about change of edge, get enough level...etc in those time his spin is really good.
But it doesn't mean in competition he doesn't have great spin.
For example his speed at WC 2012 SP was amazing: https://youtu.be/rjmKI_2fFpA?t=2m55s
His spin in the LP was amazing too: https://youtu.be/Q0RBtPX2bLI?t=1m47s

Or at Sochi: https://youtu.be/Bk6qrBrqAqo?t=1m50s
That speed is insane. Or the final spin at Japan National FS 2014 before his surgery. His spin in the SP at WC Shanghai was top notch too.
Or here, look at his spin at WTT, that speed is so :eek:: https://youtu.be/OVlaDyTObkI?t=1m38s
Or look at his spin in ice show, very well centered: https://youtu.be/1WN4UNO-6Ow?t=1m28s

Last edited:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I think don't think yuzuru spend that much time on spins or skating skills actually. So the fact that he has top spins and skating skills with little practice means he is much more gifted in spins and skating skills than other skaters. Its rare to see skaters like Yuzu who has top skill in every aaspect of skating.

I think a Yuzuru is a combination of natural talent and hard work. And he does spend a lot of time practicing his skating skills as Brian felt that is the foundation of all skating. It is to his credit that when he first moved to Toronto, he acknowledged his weakness in that area and worked hard at it, never minding that he, then the reigning World bronze medalist, was in class with skaters with lesser resumes.

What is mind boggling is that he still has room for improvement. This is what his coach Tracy Wilson said of him after he won Worlds last year: "He is still an incomplete athlete, as he still has so much more to grow. I will teach him all of the skating skills to lay down a solid foundation, in addition to going into the smallest of details, such as how he rotates his wrists in order to improve the entire program altogether. In terms of his artistic skills, he has much more to learn in order to express his emotions and interpretation even more. He has an immense amount of talent, and as long as he’s directed towards the right direction, there’s no saying what he can do. When all of this has been accomplished, he’ll definitely become a skater that seems to be out of this world." (http://311mi.tumblr.com/post/96411335613/yuzuru-can-improve-even-more-tracy-Wilson, emphasis mine) So much for us then his fans to look forward to. :)

Last edited:

Geo1

On the Ice
I think yuzuru's spins don't always have the best quality in competition because he has to focus on other difficult elements like quads. He has less energy to focus on spins, especially in the lp. His spins in the sp usually have top qualities. Jason and shoma have good spins now. But once they include more quads in their programs, their spin quality may decline too. Junior men's spins stand out because they don't do difficult jumps, so they can practice spins more and they are more flexible when they are younger.

The quality of spins also depends on the amount of time the skater spends on practicing spins. There is limited time for training, if you spend more time on one skill, it reduced training for other skills. Some skaters are weaker in jumps, so they might spend more time on spins or steps so they can get points in those areas. But for strong jumpers, they will spend more time on difficult jumps because jumps are worth more points. I don't think yuzuru spend that much time on spins or skating skills actually. So the fact that he has top spins and skating skills with little practice means he is much more gifted in spins and skating skills than other skaters. Its rare to see skaters like Yuzu who has top skill in every aaspect of skating.

During a TV interview following the 2012 Nice WC, Yuzuru was asked what kind of skater he wanted to be at the Sochi Olympics – a skater that was good at jumping or a skater that was good at spinning, and he replied that he wanted to be a skater that was good at everything.

At 6:36
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03gtMZf_fx8&feature=youtu.be

Rissa

Record Breaker
I know nothing about earphones/music players, but apparent Hanyu-san wrote a review of AKT5p (scroll down near the bottom of the page)

1. The price of those headphones... :shocked: I mean, it's not like I didn't know how much high-end sound equipment could reach but that people actually buy it...

2. Are other reviewers famous too? I'm wondering whether this is some sort of endorsement deal (like, free items in exchange for public approval) because there is a professional looking photo/icon next to the review.

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Wow, this forum is full of information and knowledge about figure skate:). I can study about figure skate.

Hi hamaguri. I just read part 2 of your report from Kanazawa. I am impressed with your observational skills and the level of detail you have in your two reports. Frankly I am a little bit jealous! I wish I could be so specific, but its hard to remember so many details for me. Anyway, I really enjoyed the two part review and concur with so many thing you said, in particular, the difference in Yuzuru's moods between Makuhari and Kanazawa was striking!

Thank you! I’m glad you also enjoyed the show and yuzu’s performance gave you tears. Your description was beautiful and powerful and conveyed your feelings straight, so I was impressed to read it. English is my second language and I have to admit I have a long way to go. Writing with English doesn’t come naturally to me. I was thinking hard about the way I could convey the performance I’d watched as much to readers with my limited English skill. Language is a kind of vehicle when you think or feel. I usually think or feel and express them with Japanese. It was hard for me to translate the subtle nuance of Japanese I’d felt into English. That’s why I wrote that type of report. I tried to write in detail to make it easy for readers to understand (Oh, I don't have so good memory or eyes!). I thought it was the best way. Anyway, it was fun to write the report, since I love “to write” either in Japanese or in English!
And your post about the audience just made the point! (Oh, you also go to ISU competition in Japan!. Tell me please how we can take a ticket for NHK! Why will it be held in such a small venue? I’m almost despairing of ticket!)

Last edited:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
1. The price of those headphones... :shocked: I mean, it's not like I didn't know how much high-end sound equipment could reach but that people actually buy it...

2. Are other reviewers famous too? I'm wondering whether this is some sort of endorsement deal (like, free items in exchange for public approval) because there is a professional looking photo/icon next to the review.

All the other reviewers are stuff of the earphone shop. They provide their reviews as expert and just recommend their product. Yuzu is titled “special reviewer”:).
And it’s no wonder the gorgeous photos are put. Those who love audio gadgets are usually particular about the appearance besides the function.

Last edited:

KansaiPJ

On the Ice
As promised, here is my video review from FaOI金沢. Be warned though, it is quite rough and I did not have enough time to properly edit it. Still though, I wanted to share it with the members of this group as I focussed primarily on Yuzuru's two skates in the show. I will do one more for Kobe and that will complete the four city set. For me Fantasy on Ice really is the best show in Japan year after year, and I enjoyed it immensely. Hope that comes through in the video. Let me know what you think.

Hope you enjoy! :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jSpJE1jBy0

oriquey

Final Flight
As promised, here is my video review from FaOI金沢. Be warned though, it is quite rough and I did not have enough time to properly edit it. Still though, I wanted to share it with the members of this group as I focussed primarily on Yuzuru's two skates in the show. I will do one more for Kobe and that will complete the four city set. For me Fantasy on Ice really is the best show in Japan year after year, and I enjoyed it immensely. Hope that comes through in the video. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for sharing your video, KansaiPJ. I will watch it now :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker

Thank you for your report. It was fun to watch. :thumbsup:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

I greatly enjoyed your video Kansai PJ, thank you. I can't help but smile even just at the first shot seeing the red of your t-shirt echoed in the red in the throw pillows and the red of the heart in Yuzuru's Japanese Red Cross "Love in Action" advocacy poster in what appears to be your apartment. From your previous post, I knew how you were "blown away" by Yuzuru's performances, but it was still different seeing you visibly affected in the video. It also seems you have the Japanese pronunciation of "SEIMEI" and "Yuzuru" down pat. And it was good of you to give a review of the performances of the other skaters in the show. Apparently everyone did great.

Looking forward to your review of FaOI at Kobe. :)

PS. Would you mind telling us what's so special about the face towels that you said are always sold out? Thanks again

KansaiPJ

On the Ice
(Oh, you also go to ISU competition in Japan!. Tell me please how we can take a ticket for NHK! Why will it be held in such a small venue? I’m almost despairing of ticket!)

The pre-sale lottery for NHK in Nagoya should be announced soon. Big Hat is small, but so was Namihaya Dome last year. Last year it was in late August of early September that the tickets went on sale... I think. I was able to get tickets all three days, and I am hoping to do the same this year. I hope to see you there!

BTW, I think your English is amazing. I am jealous, as my nihongo skills are poor. I totally respect that you can write just a good review in a 2nd language. Respect! :cheer2:

Last edited:

ranran

Zamboni time
On the Ice

Thank you for sharing your report KansaiPJ! and you're going to Kobe too! can't wait to wait hear your review in the coming show for that as well.

and I hope Kobe will have bigger ice surface and not smallish like DOI~ seems like its hard to jump with little set up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.