Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
You mean "she"? Meryl is muscular? Hehe indeed. Here is a video up of the dance touch-minor's-butt couple(at around 6.25): www.dailymotion.com/video/xsx00c
New Yuzu show outfit: https://twitter.com/pokonyao/status/236889263352975360/photo/1/

But next to Mao he looks gentle. Her aristocracy (unlike some common class taste) makes anyone look noble: http://p.twipple.jp/UslRI

This is hilarious, and improv exercise like this really shows's someone's sense of rhythm and musicality. Meryl was undeniably the winner from the start, Hanyu close second. Mirai was decent. LOL at Alex's. Kozuka was poor! Mao was doing her own thing as usual looking lovely but has nothing to do with Samba.

Worst? Narumi, she looks like she is high on drugs or having some sort of epileptic seizure. Hard to think she is a figure skater who skate to music for a living? Those arm movements are quite interesting.

---------------------------------

Better version of Hanyu's SP at THE ICE show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-5Azy4g1o0

Last edited:

Kalina

On the Ice
Surprised nobody posted this, Hanyu made his 1st big cover for the IFS Magazine titled: Japan's Rising Son

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy176/os168_photo/hanyuIFS.jpg

Now I am more convinced IMG is responsible his PR and 'image building', which would have explained these recent drastic changes.

For all of this to be true, Hanyu would have to be a client of IMG. Is he? There's no statement about this anywhere, and Hanyu doesn't appear on the list of skaters on their website.
It's not like there were some major changes in his public image, just a couple of interviews and a statement for John Wilson Blades. I think it's normal that there's more media attention on him now, considering he's World bronze medalist.
Actually, I think that if IMG had been representing him he'd get better coverage on the media. The few times he appears on television outside of skating he always does normal interviews, but all the other skaters seems to do variety shows as well, that kind of stuff... Kanako comes to mind. Does anyone know if he has sponsors?

Kalina

On the Ice
Newsclip about his training in Canada: here

He says he's now training 5-6 hours a day, which is double the amount he did previously: he's so tired he goes straight to bed after practice. Off ice, he started attending dancing (hip hop) lessons to broaden his expression range. He would like to be someday a skater who can do everything, who is close to being perfect on all aspects of skating (jumps, spins etc.)

let`s talk

Match Penalty
In the latest IFS magazine digital version they say Hanyu might start this season with Finlandia Trophy. In the article Orser rants about Yuzu SS and that before Hanyu "didn't know where he should be standing on the blade." The most entertaining part is that Wilson claimed he never saw Hanyu on the ice before he agreed to choreo his FS. Orser had to show him youtube stuff in order to educate Wilson who the guy called "Hanyu" is. Really? :laugh:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
In the latest IFS magazine digital version they say Hanyu might start this season with Finlandia Trophy. In the article Orser rants about Yuzu SS and that before Hanyu "didn't know where he should be standing on the blade." The most entertaining part is that Wilson claimed he never saw Hanyu on the ice before he agreed to choreo his FS. Orser had to show him youtube stuff in order to educate Wilson who the guy called "Hanyu" is. Really? :laugh:

:confused: How is that possible?!! So so far Hanyu just managed to winging it out of nowhere? :eek: Maybe he is more talented than we thought? Or could it be another miscommunication ala Orser?

Haha thank goodness for youtube, but then I bet 90% of us knew about Hanyu from youtube first, I knew I did. Will always has a soft spot for the 13 years old Firebird Hanyu with the bowl hair cut.

mskater93

Record Breaker
In the article Orser rants about Yuzu SS and that before Hanyu "didn't know where he should be standing on the blade."
Each coach has their specific method that they like to teach in terms of what part of the blade to use to stroke and generation of speed and power. It's true thay you *can* generate speed no matter how you stroke, however, there are some ways that are more efficient in terms of generating speed and power than others and there are some places to be on the blade that make specific turns and steps easier than others. This is probably what Orser is referencing when he makes this comment rather than what is literally written in the article - "effortless" skating. This also could be part of the reason that Hanyu always looks worn out in the second half of programs - he didn't have the most efficient (effortless) stroking.

emdee

Final Flight
I totally agree he is pushing harder instead of generating speed with stroking. This is what Barb Underhill is teaching hockey players to do.

He looks wiped out at the end of each program.

janetfan

Match Penalty
The most entertaining part is that Wilson claimed he never saw Hanyu on the ice before he agreed to choreo his FS. Orser had to show him youtube stuff in order to educate Wilson who the guy called "Hanyu" is. Really? :laugh:

Well......if we consider how busy Wilson is why would he have spent time watching or studying Hanyu?
I like Hanyu alot but have barely seen this young skater....just a couple of times. Remember one has to make an effort in N. America to watch skating.

"Educate" seems like the key word here and of course after Hanyu came to Wilson for choreo it would be the right time for Wilson to study his skating.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Each coach has their specific method that they like to teach in terms of what part of the blade to use to stroke and generation of speed and power. It's true thay you *can* generate speed no matter how you stroke, however, there are some ways that are more efficient in terms of generating speed and power than others and there are some places to be on the blade that make specific turns and steps easier than others. This is probably what Orser is referencing when he makes this comment rather than what is literally written in the article - "effortless" skating. This also could be part of the reason that Hanyu always looks worn out in the second half of programs - he didn't have the most efficient (effortless) stroking.

Thank you!:yes:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I love Dai's skating, but I always get wowed by Patrick's and Takahiko's skating skill :eek:, love Jeremy's and Stephane's artistry :love:, admire Evgeni's and Evan's competitive nerve :cool: (though their skating is not my cup of tea, sorry seniorita, plushyfan, toni and others! ;))And I believe Yuzuru is the future of Japanese Men's figure skating.

I don't think you need to apologize. I love Plush, you prefer Takahashi or other skaters.
In the sports always appear new talents, in the sport need the progress, and of course, always develop the training methods. This is right.
Maybe thanks to Plushy for Yuzu. :), a part of IFS magazine article:

An avid figure skating fan since childhood, Hanyu said he always watched competitions on television. His number-one idol has always been Evgeni Plushenko.
"When I watched him on TV at age 4 or 5, he was the person who really made me want to be a figure skater," Hanyu said. "I always wanted to be just like him."
This season Hanyu knows there is a good chance he will go up against Plushenko.
"I am not looking forward to that," Hanyu said with a laugh. "It feels really odd. I have always been dreaming about him and now to be competiong against him does not seem real."

Last edited:

Kalina

On the Ice

Thank you!

This article helped clearing up some doubts. First thing, we now have confirmation that he decided to move to Canada because in Sendai he could only train during public sessions: he said "I felt that if I had any chance of improving and winning more medals I had to find another place to train". Second thing, Orser said that the Japanese federation called him in early April asking him if he was willing to coach Yuzuru and saying that the decision was totally his: but before accepting he asked Fernandez, who was 'totally fine with it'. According to Orser they're now becoming good friends, have a lot of respect for each other and Javier has begun to work harder than before, being more focused during training and taking better care of his body.
Orser seems to have a very good opinion of Hanyu, he says he fit right in because he's very friendly and polite and that he enjoys teaching him because he really listens: he feels that he is respected and that he's always teaching him something, and that Hanyu's eager to learn. But they had to come up with a plan for his training because he apparently had no organization before, so much that when they asked him how how many run-throughs he did, and when he trained different elements, he replied "I don't know, when I feel like it." I have a great respect for Nanami Abe as a coach and I love her choreography, so I don't have any doubt that she tried to give him all the attention he needed, but I wonder if she had the time: she coaches at least twenty children there, does choreography for a lot of Japanese skaters, and then the earthquake too... she probably tried, but she's human. Maybe that's why his training was so unorganized before.
The only thing that has Orser concerned is Yuzuru's training schedule, he went back to Japan for school and then for shows during the summer four times (I guess five now with Fantasy on Ice). He said that as the season begins he really needs to slow down on the traveling and even more so as the Olympics approach, he needs to have the time to focus on training and on his health, and to rest.
Last thing, he said that they're thinking about Finlandia Trophy to make his season debut.

giulia95

Medalist
Thank you!

This article helped clearing up some doubts. First thing, we now have confirmation that he decided to move to Canada because in Sendai he could only train during public sessions: he said "I felt that if I had any chance of improving and winning more medals I had to find another place to train". Second thing, Orser said that the Japanese federation called him in early April asking him if he was willing to coach Yuzuru and saying that the decision was totally his..

The article seems to be about the fairy tale of an anonymous teen skater who came from nowhere, who "didn’t know where he should be standing on the blade" and who didn’t have a real training schedule at his home town rink.... .. a total disaster !!:biggrin:

It’s really a stunning miracle that he won the bronze medal at Worlds with a masterpiece FS and an incredible score , beating many worderfully trained skaters!:laugh:

I’m very happy Wilson played safe with the new FS, while the overall impression is of a defensive position: they keep repeating Hanyu strongly wanted to go to Canada while J. Buttle claimed Hanyu chose him personally for his SP. What a of responsability on "pencil thin" teen shoulders..

I’m just a little bit worried about the fact that Orser didn’t mention one of Hanyu’s (real) biggest problems : the asthma. May be Yuzuru “didn’t know where he should be standing on the blade” but in the second part of his FS his respiration is always so difficult and painful!:cry:

I hope it’s safe and healthy to double his previous daily training schedule to try to solve his respiratory pathology..

emdee

Final Flight
I think the asthma is exarcerbated by his pushing on his blades when his stroking improves he will not need to take such shallow breaths. Also. if he was not training consistently he would have not built up his stamina. A case in point is Charlie White who also has asthma and you wouldnt see it most of the time because he is so well trained.

I hope he doesnt get cold induced asthma here as I have this and I dont even need to exercise for it to come on!

giulia95

Medalist
I hope you're right and that is all about SS to be fixed !:)

In any case asthma could be at a very different level of severity in different persons, so it'n not so easy and automatic to compare different skaters!;)