2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 293 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I'm just watching the Olympic channels broadcast of the ladies sp from Europeans and they decided to air again Bradies sp(because the fifteen reairings of it during nationals wasn't enough apparently) hearing ryan and tanith try to spin it like Bradie can go head to head with Evgenia and Alina sure is....something 😂😂. The hype train is in hyper speed now!🙄

I think she's even better than Evgenia, dare I say that? She has WAY BETTER jump technique, and makes her jumps look easy. Her music and choreography is more to my liking as well. The only thing she doesn't do is all her jumps in the second half of her program. I'm sure that if she trained like that earlier, she'd be able to do it. So why shouldn't she be mentioned up there with them? It blows my mind actually that she's not.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's something to be said of "having the hot hand" when it matters the most.

Whether Bradie's consistency and improvement continues into the Olympics? I guess we'll see.

Can she beat the favorites if everyone skates well? I doubt it. Can she beat them if she's clean and they make mistakes? I guess it depends on how many and what kind of mistakes.

*"Having a hot hand" is a basketball saying, meaning that a player is on a streak. Can't miss.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Lay low, Bradie.

In other news, I saw Ashley Wagner is going to be on Access Hollywood.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lay low, Bradie.

In other news, I saw Ashley Wagner is going to be on Access Hollywood.

I think this is excellent advice.

I was thinking the other day that if I were her coach, I'd take away her cell phone, forbid social media of any type, limit media availability to pre-Olympic fluff, and instruct my entire team to keep their mouths shut.

In other words, I'd do as much as possible to insulate and isolate her from the "real world" until after the Olympics. On the plus side, this appears to be one instance in which her shyness works to her advantage. She doesn't appear to be seeking attention.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
I think she's even better than Evgenia, dare I say that? She has WAY BETTER jump technique, and makes her jumps look easy. Her music and choreography is more to my liking as well. The only thing she doesn't do is all her jumps in the second half of her program. I'm sure that if she trained like that earlier, she'd be able to do it. So why shouldn't she be mentioned up there with them? It blows my mind actually that she's not.
She also has pretty unsophisticated choreography and very little expression. Those things can be worked on, of course, and often develop with age. I agree that the quality of her jumps are superior to Medvedeva's, especially coming back from this injury.

eriecold

On the Ice
My only thought is they are going for "better than bronze" and want to get Nathan to do both. A Shib short dance plus a H/D free with debut as National champions boost could be powerful. Toss in a clean 8 triple free from Mirai, two Nathan skates and a small miracle from Alexa and Chris and it could happen with this team.

You mean like a 4Tw landed in one foot in both short and long? sounds good.
As for Nathan, I think I recall hearing him saying he did want both programs at the team event, the question is not if he'd be willing to do it but if the USFS and Ralph would allow him

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You mean like a 4Tw landed in one foot in both short and long? sounds good.
As for Nathan, I think I recall hearing him saying he did want both programs at the team event, the question is not if he'd be willing to do it but if the USFS and Ralph would allow him

Ralph??? Oh ... you must mean Raf.

For the record, a quad twist is not allowed in a pairs short program. But Alexa and Chris's triple twist is as spectacular as their quad. Also, the twist is a catch, not a land-on-one-foot jump, although when he sets her down on the ice, I believe it's on one foot.

The miracle would be if Chris were to somehow land the triples in their SBS jumps. Although lately, it seems like she's missing them as often as he is.:drama: Which is weird, because she's usually been solid there. But he did rotate the triple and stay on his feet in the SP at Nationals. Like always, I am hopeful. :pray: :hap10:

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Mirai Nagasu is doing rippon lutzes on her instagram story! Stories disappear in 24 hrs so go check it out before that happens!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well so be it. As I suspected, Wagner will probably end up in Korea anyway..............as a member of the press:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...plans-south-korea-one-way-another/1049961001/

She is also in that awkward position of being the 1st alternate so interesting how this will end up working out...as she is not an Olympic athlete she can't use the "official" training facilities can she? Or is there a provision where alternates can utilize Olympic ice as well?

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
She also has pretty unsophisticated choreography and very little expression. Those things can be worked on, of course, and often develop with age. I agree that the quality of her jumps are superior to Medvedeva's, especially coming back from this injury.

I don't agree that her choreography is unsophisticated with the kind of music she's skating to....now, maybe she can choose music that can bring out her personality more, that can be worked on. Also, I think instead of adding an axel 3toe jump, she should add a lutz 3toe, if that will increase her marks. And you know what, I am curious to know how she will be scored if she backloads all her jumps. Let's say that she does, will she make it to the top three at olympics? I doubt it...and you know it ain't gonna be because she wasn't as good, it will be solely up to those panel of judges.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Not sure what is meant or implied by "faithfully" here, but if it means religiously or closely then you're right.

If the stories is where she's posting this stuff, that's probably why I missed it. I check that only occasionally TBH.

That's just what I meant. If you follow Mirai on IG but don't check out her vids/photos on her My Story then that's why you missed all her postings on her boyfriend Darian.

Warning— do NOT venture into the comments on this one. Sad that such nastiness exists.

Yeah, I saw those. Haterz gonna hate. I don't let them get to me. :sarcasm: Some troll also went on to Karen's IG, hating on her fundraising efforts. I was proud when Vincent Zhou stepped in to defend her there. Very classy young man. Far more mature than those haters attacking these skater's efforts to get their loved ones to the Games.

I don't think Bradie Tanos/Rippons her jumps very often either, like the Russians. Supposedly they get an extra point or two for those too.

Mirai Nagasu is doing rippon lutzes on her instagram story! Stories disappear in 24 hrs so go check it out before that happens!

Downloaded and saved for posterity! Her Rippon Lutzes look gorgeous but I wish she'd been trying them in competition all season long! But then - what does she have to lose? She's not expected to medal anyway! :biggrin:

geige

On the Ice
Did anybody manage to catch Ashley’s interview?

Also if she’s going to be involved with the media I sincerely hope to see Gracie there too 😛

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
I don't agree that her choreography is unsophisticated with the kind of music she's skating to....now, maybe she can choose music that can bring out her personality more, that can be worked on. Also, I think instead of adding an axel 3toe jump, she should add a lutz 3toe, if that will increase her marks. And you know what, I am curious to know how she will be scored if she backloads all her jumps. Let's say that she does, will she make it to the top three at olympics? I doubt it...and you know it ain't gonna be because she wasn't as good, it will be solely up to those panel of judges.

It's good that you are supporting her but I don't think Bradie's current skating is even close to the top girls. I don't think she can backload + tano/rippon at the moment but even if she did she really shouldn't be on the podium when Evgenia/Alina/Carolina/Satoko/Sotskova/Kaetlyn are all clean for an obvious reason = PCS. She doesn't yet have the polish she needs and anyone can see that to be honest.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Is her boyfriend a skater?

The Pasadena Figure Skating Club has started a YouCaring fundraiser so Nagasu’s family and boyfriend are able to get to South Korea in February to watch her compete at the 2018 Winter Olympics.

Who is her boyfriend?

I don't know if he's a skater but Mirai has posted vids in her IG Story of the both of them skating just for fun! There was a funny one where he was trying to do jumps and he said at one point 'I'm wearing dance skates'. So I wonder if he was ever an ice dancer?? I don't know his last name. His first name is Darian.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if he's a skater but Mirai has posted vids in her IG Story of the both of them skating just for fun! There was a funny one where he was trying to do jumps and he said at one point 'I'm wearing dance skates'. So I wonder if he was ever an ice dancer?? I don't know his last name. His first name is Darian.

Yes, Darian Weiss is an ice dancer. He has competed for Switzerland although I'm not sure if he's actively competing this season or at school full time.

brightphoton

Medalist
Yes, Darian Weiss is an ice dancer. He has competed for Switzerland although I'm not sure if he's actively competing this season or at school full time.

He looks a lot like this actor named Darian Weiss.

His acting portfolio, with Mirai's 2010 Olympic SP music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E1knZq-SGs&5=&t=1m13s

Audition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxt1BlMubmA

Imdb is often wrong in its trivia section, but it says that "Darian is an avid ice skater. He has skated with Olympics legends such as Scott Hamilton in "Stars on Ice" at the Staples Center, Tai Babilonia (Fox-TV`s "Good Day L.A."), Kurt Browning, Kristi Yamaguchi, Ekatarina Gordaeeva and Tara Lipinski."
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1009333/

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

He looks a lot like this actor named Darian Weiss.

His acting portfolio, with Mirai's 2010 Olympic SP music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E1knZq-SGs&5=&t=1m13s

Audition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxt1BlMubmA

Imdb is often wrong in its trivia section, but it says that "Darian is an avid ice skater. He has skated with Olympics legends such as Scott Hamilton in "Stars on Ice" at the Staples Center, Tai Babilonia (Fox-TV`s "Good Day L.A."), Kurt Browning, Kristi Yamaguchi, Ekatarina Gordaeeva and Tara Lipinski."
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1009333/

Interesting! Thanks for all the info on Darien guys! :rock: The actor Darian sure bears a strong resemblance to Mirai's Darian! If it's not him then what a coincidence that he's an 'avid ice skater'! And that his audition video includes swashbuckling to "Pirates of the Caribbean" - Mirai's 2010 SP music! But if it were him I would think they'd have stated more specifically that he is (or was) a competitive ice dancer for Switzerland!

labgoat

Female thinker deep in various thoughts
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well so be it. As I suspected, Wagner will probably end up in Korea anyway..............as a member of the press:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...plans-south-korea-one-way-another/1049961001/

She is also in that awkward position of being the 1st alternate so interesting how this will end up working out...as she is not an Olympic athlete she can't use the "official" training facilities can she? Or is there a provision where alternates can utilize Olympic ice as well?

I am happy to see that she is still training and moving forwards with her post Skating life. This tells me she has made her peace with the situation. I am also glad that she will use LaLaLand on tour as well. I look forward to seeing it live.