2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 330 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

frida80

Record Breaker
Mirai LITERALLY just posted that she went to train a little bit more and went to the rink during a glow skate. hahaha

That’s for the heads up. She’s currently at the public skate during glow light time doing 3S+3T in the dark! I could not imagine many people trying skating on ice that feels like gravel.

tothepointe

On the Ice
That’s for the heads up. She’s currently at the public skate during glow light time doing 3S+3T in the dark! I could not imagine many people trying skating on ice that feels like gravel.

Mariah Bell's sister also posted some video of Mariah's triple-triple so it looks like she is in good condition. I'm hoping she'll be the breakout suprise and MAYBE in the 3 months since nationals has decided to go back to East of Eden on last time.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why would Mirai be at a public skate? It's for recreational skating--no way could Mirai practice her competition programs there. The rink guards wouldn't allow it, as it would pose a danger to the recreational skaters.

I guess that means Mirai isn't doing much in the way of training. Quelle surprise.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Why would Mirai be at a public skate? It's for recreational skating--no way could Mirai practice her competition programs there. The rink guards wouldn't allow it, as it would pose a danger to the recreational skaters. ...

Practicing jumps in the dark in a crowded rink just seems dangerous.

What could be seen via Mirai's Instagram story:

(1) Visibility would not have been issue, IMO. There was less lighting than usual, but it was not actually dark -- even when some of the colored lights were on.
If(?) at other times there were true darkness that would have been dangerous, I trust that Mirai would have had the good sense to stop practicing until the lighting was better.

(2) The session did not looked crowded at all. Relatively empty.

(3) Mirai showed herself practicing a jump combo. I doubt that she was attempting to skate run-thrus of her programs.​

Why would Mirai be at a public skate? ...

I guess that means Mirai isn't doing much in the way of training. Quelle surprise.

More of your persistent negativity re Mirai. Quelle surprise.

My guess -- which is as good as your negative guess -- is that ice time was not available to Mirai last night?

And that Mirai is so motivated for Worlds that she wanted to get in a bit of *extra* training before leaving soon for Milan. Extra training above and beyond elite sessions with her coaches per usual.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Nathan has been going to different rinks to get more ice time, and we can't fault Mirai for doing the same. Good to hear that it wasn't crowded and not truly dark - sorry I've never been to a glow skate before!

frida80

Record Breaker
Why would Mirai be at a public skate? It's for recreational skating--no way could Mirai practice her competition programs there. The rink guards wouldn't allow it, as it would pose a danger to the recreational skaters.

No. It means that she's challenging herself. She did the same thing before nationals. Skating on public skate is very challenging. The ice is like gravel and getting speed and a good edges is really rough.

She said she came back to do some adjustments to her program. Afterwards she decided to go to a public skate to practice her jumps. She was knocking out fully rotated triple triples. The only thing I think she would not have done was her 3A.

lutzlover

On the Ice
Didn't mirai say she was there because she was testing out her skates? Lol my friend was just at the World Arena; Mirai is training

frida80

Record Breaker
Didn't mirai say she was there because she was testing out her skates? Lol my friend was just at the World Arena; Mirai is training

Of course she is. But apparently, unless some people have video evidence of this, as well as a photo of her sign in and out of her practice sessions they won't believe it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm in San Jose for the weekend and was thinking about Polina Edmunds. Is she planning to return next season?

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Mariah Bell's sister also posted some video of Mariah's triple-triple so it looks like she is in good condition. I'm hoping she'll be the breakout suprise and MAYBE in the 3 months since nationals has decided to go back to East of Eden on last time.

yeah that was a nice 3-3 of hers! Happy to see it :) I think Mariah likes WSS so I doubt she's changed and I would rather she be super trained w that program than be sorta trained with EOE even though I do prefer EOE.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Of course she is. But apparently, unless some people have video evidence of this, as well as a photo of her sign in and out of her practice sessions they won't believe it.

I believe Mirai is training but I think the reason people were speculating was because she gave an interview after her free skate at the Olys where she stated that it was hard to feel motivated after delivering the skate of her life in the team event. I think people(myself included a little bit but not anymore) wondered how she would feel motivated for worlds if she wasn't even motivated at the second Olympic event. Clearly, from what I can tell, she is excited for worlds and is ready to go!

Thanks for the explanation about glow skates. What I would be worried about is a powerful elite skater running over the recreational skaters who can only skate half as fast!

frida80

Record Breaker
I believe Mirai is training but I think the reason people were speculating was because she gave an interview after her free skate at the Olys where she stated that it was hard to feel motivated after delivering the skate of her life in the team event. I think people(myself included a little bit but not anymore) wondered how she would feel motivated for worlds if she wasn't even motivated at the second Olympic event. Clearly, from what I can tell, she is excited for worlds and is ready to go!

She never said she wasn’t motivated. That was something that people made up after the fact. What Mirai said is that she was feeling a lot of pressure after delivering that Freeskate and her sports therapist told her some techniques to distract her from the pressure.

frida80

Record Breaker
I'm in San Jose for the weekend and was thinking about Polina Edmunds. Is she planning to return next season?

We’ll hear something by the summer soonest. She doesn’t have any WR points to get on the GP. So she’s going to have to fight for the SA spot, and she won’t know for months if she will be able to compete for it. That injury has really been terrible.

mrrice

Record Breaker
We’ll hear something by the summer soonest. She doesn’t have any WR points to get on the GP. So she’s going to have to fight for the SA spot, and she won’t know for months if she will be able to compete for it. That injury has really been terrible.

Thanks for the response Frida. We were talking about Polina this afternoon and my local friends think she's done. I for one, would love to see her get herself in shape and make one last run. She was so good in 2016 and then right after Nationals, it seems the bottom fell out of her career.

klutzy

On the Ice
Thanks for the response Frida. We were talking about Polina this afternoon and my local friends think she's done. I for one, would love to see her get herself in shape and make one last run. She was so good in 2016 and then right after Nationals, it seems the bottom fell out of her career.

Is that speculation or some inside knowledge? Polina sure doesn't let out what's going on on social media. If she could get that foot injury under control and get her two toe jumps back, she'd be competitive in the U.S., no question. But, oh those jumps . . .

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
That's too bad about Polina - I would like to see her skate well again. I wouldn't have thought that out of the 2014 Olympic ladies team, that none of them would have ended up going to 2018 OG.